Ultimate Avengers Mini-Review: A+

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Wow.

Just finished watching the movie. I'm am completely impressed. The animation (which I believe is the same group that did X-Men Evolution) was outstanding. The voice acting was excellent as well. The movie moved right along. I never once thought it was paced too slowly or too quickly. Moved along at just the right pace. It just looked and sounded beautiful from start to finish.

I'm glad they kind of amalgamized the Ultimates V1 story a bit. Made for a better movie experience. I'm highly pleased with how this turned out, and I can't wait for the sequel in 6 months.

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I got this is as well it seems marvels answer to the dcau. All and all very impressive and well done. though looking at the comming soon stuff i'm surprised there isnt a spidey movie comming out. Oh well maybe in 07 with spidey 3

3. DevilzFan

They're mainly working on stuff that doesn't have any live action coming soon.

4. Edge

Ah ok that makes sense then

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Wait a second...doesn't it come out tuesday?

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

They probably have friends in retail;)  :ev: 

7. DevilzFan

Officially, yes. ;) 

8. Edge

Strange i got mine at wal-mart today for 13 bucks. had a ton on the shelf too go fig

9. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

From the clip I saw it seems like they sanitized it for kids. I'd love to see an Avengers movie based on the entire first 13 issues in live action, but as a cartoon they had to tone down The Hulk, remove the entire "Giant Man is a wife beating tool" subplot, and removed Cap's politically incorrect wake-up lines. Did they also ditch "Does this letter on my face stand for France?!", which was one of the best lines ever, and the part about Thor only joining once Bush doubled the foriegn aid budget? Without all those elements that would be removed from The Ultimates to make it ok for kids, all you're left with is a generic superhero kiddy movie.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For some reason we only have a listing for it on PSP's UMD format here in the UK.

I'm just glad that I have a multi-region DVD player :p 

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I got it yesterday. I have family who works at one of those chain stores.

12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I've been looking foward to it since I saw the previews. Looks pretty cool

13. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Really looking forward to watching it. Picked up the hardcover TPB of The Ultimates(which includes vol 1&2) yesterday so I'm good to go. Also, found out yesterday that a couple people I know who go to school here(well one graduated) both did auditions for the movie too, but didn't get to make it.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

who's in the movie? other then what they advertise.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just watched it..

*Spoilers*

Good stuff. Some of it is not kiddie sanitized. Thor drinks huge mugs of beer, Black Widow and Tony Stark have alcholic drink. Martini by the looks of it. there is a shot of Tony with a bottle of alcohol on hte desk and he has clearly had a few shot. A shuttle get's blown up. Soldiers get zaporized to dust. The violence is more PG13 and in no way G kiddie fare. It hits hard.

My fav line is Giant man asking "Who is the chick with the hammer?" when Thor joins the fight.

I give it an A+ too. Damn good movie. The violence shocked me. I was expecting something far less violent. Kinda GI Joe-ish. Death and destruction abounds in this.

16. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

all this talk of how violent the movie is seems based on the children's cartoons of today. Truthfully, its really no more violent or adult oriented than any random episode of Gundam, so don't watch this expecting a bloodbath. For me, the violence & content here is actually less shocking for children's animation than the blood bank scene from the "Batman vs Dracula" DTV feature, where the Joker is literally showered with gallons of blood and licking the floor for more.

All things being equal, this is certainly a huge step up from the awful Avengers cartoon from Fox Kids, but unless you're a huge Avengers fanatic, it's probably only worth a rental before you drop $13 to own the DVD.

17. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

I really enjoyed watching this - although after watching it all I can think about is how much better it would be if they had just changed a few little things about it.

Now - my bias is that I'm a total Ultimates nut - and so that probably coloured my view of the film - but the actually plot I didn't have much of a problem with - it was just the little things - Thors lack of facial fur - and his lack of a scandinadian accent, Black Widow being just too nice - Bruce Banners voice - didn't like it. All just little things - but irksome all the same.

Would have loved to have seen the Ultimates style sheild carrers too.

A good effort though - definately worth buying.

Wasn't really expecting the "Hulk smash freddie prince junior" - but it would have been nice ;-)

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I thought it was GREAT. I noticed a lot of familiar names in the credits...it seems that the director and the storyboard artists came from Batman: The Animated Series. That's one hell of a credential. Great animation, great action, okay story, and...er...generic music.

My only complaint is that the villainy was rather weak. A bunch of bugs who didn't have any lines. I wished that the final boss could've been, like, Magneto or Dr. Doom or something.

19. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

The thing with The Ultimates is that even though they were created to fight Supervillians, they don't actually do it very much. The first 2 volumes are much more about the heros getting used to being a team and Cap getting used to life in the new millenium.

20. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

It wasnt the hulk?