UK's New "Bumblebee"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thanks To TopGear (Hammond will be happy though :D )

Chevy has announced the UK will officially be getting the new Camaro in left-hand drive form from May next year, tin-top first with the convertible in 2012. Good news if you're looking for something a bit different, especially as we'll only be getting 100 cars a year and all in top-end ‘SS' format. Which means that for roughly the price of a new Nissan 370Z (a smidge under £30k), the UK Camaro buyer will get, as standard, the full-fat 426bhp 6.2-litre V8 with its breathed-on suspension.

[​IMG]

Reasonable money for a car that hits 62mph in just over five seconds and manages a limited top speed of 155mph. But American V8s can give so much more. Which is where Hennessey Performance steps in. From its UK base at the Silverstone Circuit - where the company is currently producing the Venom GT supercar - Hennessey is already offering upgrades for the Camaro that shade from the sublime to the ridiculous. Anything from a 75bhp pep-up to a street-legal 1,000bhp.

[​IMG]

This HPE600 is probably the best place to start, the company's 602hp, 595lb ft supercharged conversion that should see off anything that Europe can throw at it - in a straight line at least - mainly because it makes the Camaro properly quick without losing a jot of driveability. Grunt is seamless and thick with V8 noise, every lift accompanied by the machine-gun backfire of unburned fuel in the exhaust.

[​IMG]

The steering is much better than you expect, ditto the body control, and the car feels exuberant and a bit silly in the right way. Which means that for around the £50k mark you've got something genuinely interesting and which feels like an authentic modern American muscle car experience.

[​IMG]

It's not really a rival to a BMW M3 or Merc C63 in terms of precision, but there's something very gratifying in an engine that trawls V8-plus-supercharger torque so completely; third gear is pretty much all you need from the short-shifted six-speed manual. And the noise alone is worth 100bhp of anyone's money.

[​IMG]

The basic kit includes a supercharger, cold-air induction, new engine management and performance manifolds, and dyno set-up. You can throw lots of money after that too, with full exhaust systems, lightweight wheels, suspension, clutch upgrades and body styling, but if you go too crazy it gets expensive; an HPE600 will cost you $30k plus VAT on top of the cost of the car itself. Let's face it; you're buying a character car rather than a performance tool. And as fantasy cars go, the HPE600 is disturbingly real-world.

[​IMG]

2. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    Smexy.

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I like, I want.

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope you guys have fun playing with an American Muscle toy.

..do you guys get the Mustang ?

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, glad to see other countries getting the opportunity to drive this beast.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    May's the only out of the three with real car knowledge. Clarkson knows a thing or two, but he's mostly there cos he was cheap to hire. As for Hammond...it's anyone's guess why he's on the team. He's just a presenter.

7. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    looks cool.
    actually I think I like those colors even more than yellow

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair, the reaction they got does tell you all you need to know about that part of the country doesn't it? I mean, the Americans got violent. Over someone else's opinion.

But let's not dwell on that, I'd put that down to one of Clarkson's stupid stunts (he does seem to enjoy offending peoples of all natures).

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WHAT!

I have killed for less.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Nice car, but LOLZ at people taking Top Gear seriously. They take the piss out of pretty much everybody and you'd have to be deaf not to realise that its intentionally absurd.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's precisely why I enjoy watching it, even the old repeats on Dave are still very watchable. If I wanted a dull, po-faced motoring review show that doesn't try to wind people up I'd watch Fifth Gear.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  12. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    lol maybe it depends on personal taste.or maybe I'm just sick of yellow with black stripes color.either way I really like the way it looks in silver

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Was it just me, or did anybody else first think of the new Volkswagen Beetle design after reading the title of the thread?

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Massive thread cleanup. Keep it on topic. Anyone else who throws out insults about culture or brings politics into it will get an infraction.

15. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure whether it was officially available from Ford, but you do occasionally see one on the road over here. I remember when I went to Florida a couple of years ago, I was surprised by how common they were. I think most of them were probably holiday rentals though.

That engine in the Camaro looks like an absolute beast!

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Very nice.

17. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm jealous of you Uker's. You get the Hennesy Upgrade.

18. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    LHD? So it's legal to drive non-RHD cars in UK?

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Listen, I know jack shit about cars and their insides..but those stripes on the sides are schmexy!

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not officially, they were imported with a 3rd-party LHD conversion, if I remember rightly.