UK Transformers Graphic Novel Partwork from Hatchette

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payres, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can kind of understand the "Hearts of Steel" inclusion, but its placement in the volume order is odd.

My prediction is that "non-G1" comic stories (Movie-verse, Armada and so on) may see print as "special releases"/editions at some point. Partworks often have these volumes that sit 'outside' the main collection, and if it's successful, this makes sense.

Regarding GI Joe crossovers - I am sure I read that things like Dreamwave's WW2 crossover is being included. I'm not sure about the ORIGINAL crossover though, as it conflicts with "Wanted: Galvatron Dead Or Alive". It would be a shame not to include it somewhere (to be "Definitive").

But we've already heard the Movie Adaptation isn't being included, and only "certain" UK Annual stories are, so this already isn't as definitive as, say, IDW's Classics US/UK collections (flawed though they are) for the Marvel material.

2. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Received the next two volumes today; The War Within and Escalation, as well as a tin thing. The box was heavily crushed, but the books and plate were perfectly fine.

3. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    "Perchance to Dream" (with newly recoloured UK #240-260) was supposed to be issue #7, but looks like it has been bumped. According to their Facebook page, issue #7 will be "Wanted: Galvatron Dead Or Alive"...

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Other than block coloring in one panel, I don't see what's bad about it. The coloring is clean, varied and everyone looks like they're supposed to.

5. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Shame Perchance to dream has been held back as I was looking forward to seeing that in colour. Was always a fan of that story. Hopefully it'll be coloured properly and not using that awful dotting technique.
    I wonder how up to date they will go with IDW? I'm looking forward to having MTMTE and RID collected so I can explore them finally.

From what I've read the next few releases will be:
    7: Wanted Galvatron
    8: Hearts pf Steel
    9: Trial By Fire
    10: Regeneration One part 1
    11: Legacy of Unicron
    12: Cosmic carnival

6. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

It was just an observation that the dotty colouring looked worse in the page from 'Race With the Devil' than it did in the one from 'Survivors'. Having now got the volume in question in hand, the difference is even more obvious: there are many more large dots on the former than on the latter. Actually there's an article at the back of that volume in which John-Paul Bove discusses how dots and solid areas make up different colours, but that's not really my point. Instead, observe the eye-straining dotty orange background behind Dogfight in that second panel from the newly coloured RWTD page. Now turn back two pages to the third page of 'Decepticon Empire' (pt 2) where there's a nice big portrait of Megatron against an almost identical orange background... except this orange is clearly nice and smooth with virtually no visible dots. As I say, 'Survivors' does seem a definite improvement, I just thought it worth noting.
    I guess since 7 is meant to come with the reprinted 'Target: 2006' they figured they were doing us a favour pairing it with something of a similar nature. Those of us only interested in early Marvel stuff wouldn't have to buy 'Hearts of Steel' to get the corrected volume 6 for instance.

Similarly, it doesn't seem five minutes since I bought the TPBs of Regeneration One so I can't see me getting those.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I managed to lose the Decepticon keychain, and my keys! Ah well it wasn't that good any way (Is heartbroken)

8. OptimusTimelord

The disappointment continues...

Picked up 7 today. The bleached-ink page in 'Decepticon Graffiti' is unchanged (while they never addressed it, I was hoping that the opportunity to fix such a drastic printing error wouldn't have been overlooked). So, on to Vol 8... and unfortunately they've used the same exact source as IDW's Classics UK for issue 116 (where the issue in question looks like its been sat on by a previous owner, and no attempt to tidy up the creases has been made (nor the more obvious solution of just get hold of an undamaged copy to scan instead. FFS I'd have lent them mine!!).

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but with this and the usual random spelling changes ('Autooots'!) 'definitive' is becoming more and more of a joke.

9. trans22

trans22 Member

Where is the spelling mistake?

10. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    I don't think it sets up any major continuity problems, but why the heck is "King Of the Hill" out of sequence in this volume? Is the plan to keep all the UK and US stories "separate" even within a single volume?

More generally, I really think I'll stop picking these up (already only collecting the Marvel era, #1-20) - there's just not enough of a draw to buy material I have so many times already. A little bit more effort may have gone a long way.

11. OptimusTimelord

King of the Hill. As is "Nothino can withstand the full fury of my firepower!"

12. trans22

trans22 Member

Are these kind of mistakes in the original comics?

13. OptimusTimelord

Nope, and not in the old Titan reprints either. If you read back through the thread there's some interesting discussion about how and why these errors are cropping up (seems that IDW are responsible, as for some reason they used some kind of spellcheck software as well as heavy-handed recolouring techniques that removes line detail from the art).

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Issue seven or volume seven? I don't think I've seen 'Decepticon Grafitti' in this yet. It's confusing since people are getting subscription releases at different stages to shops (I get mine saved at a local newsagent) and with how poorly this thing is being produced I have no idea if I'm getting a duff product missing stuff or people are talking about things they've got before stores. Is volume seven issue eight? The one coming to stores in a fortnight's time?

Frankly the whole thing of issue numbers and volume numbers and strips not being released in order and switching between Marvel, DW and IDW is just bugging the hell out of me. I can't keep track.

Since issue seven has apparently been changed to a different one than was planned (presumably because of the reissue of a corrected issue one, as someone suggested earlier) does that mean it was a different volume number too so as to not mess up the final volume order?

Frankly, the confusion, growing errors and non-inclusion of certain strips is fast putting me off of staying with this thing. Hell, I already own all this content in one form or another anyway, so making it hard to follow too is just another nail in the ever-sealing coffin.

15. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Issue #7 is volume 8 and is OUT NOW in the shops. It is "Wanted Galvatron" and a couple of US issues (see my post above). The reprinted vol 6 (issue #1) comes with #7. As I said before, I am likely done with this as well.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    So which issue/volume has 'Decepticon Grafitti'?

17. trans22

trans22 Member

Volume 6 "Target 2006"

18. OptimusTimelord

The new one, 'issue 7' (but volume 8, yes it is bloody confusing), I don't subscribe but they had loads in WHSmith and with another copy of issue one I found it hard to say no! 'Decepticon Graffiti' is in issue 1 BTW along with 'Target:2006'.

Like you, I already own all the G1 stuff in one form or another (and particularly galling that most of my old copies are visually more detailed and presentable than the new Hachette versions). Just in so many different formats that it would have been nice to replace them with a consistent, high-quality modern set. As it is, I honestly can't justify getting shut of my Titan US TPBs because they are so much cleaner and clearer than these new versions. And if the Classics UK books had finished by now I'd have little reason to re-buy UK stories.

I do have one question that someone might be able to answer... As I said earlier, issue 116 ('Burning Sky' pt 2) is creased and crumpled again (as it was in the Classics UK print). I'd love to know if it was ever printed in better condition, for instance there was an old Titan collection (Fallen Angel TPB) which I don't own, can anyone tell me how it looked in there?

19. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    It looks better in the Titan trade than it does in Hachette.

20. OptimusTimelord

Thanks, I might actually try and track that down. Shocking that IDW would even use such an obviously defective copy to scan/create their new masters. The Classics UK reprints are so murky and small anyway that the creases don't stand out quite so much as they do in this new Hachette volume.