UK Transformers Graphic Novel Partwork from Hatchette

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payres, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What you're talking about then is publication order - there's an argument for that I guess, but I'd be fine with chronological IF IT ACTUALLY WERE CHRONOLOGICAL (see my comment re: "Mind Games"). If they are going to publish out of sequence (and I understand the reasons behind it) the background/context story notes could also do with improving.

My small concern is that, when he was involved with the Titan books, Furman intentionally left out the likes of "Man Of Iron", "Enemy Within", "Crisis of Command" etc from the reprints as he wasn't really a fan of the early stuff... hopefully he's not going to pull the same thing this time, though it worries me that somebody upthread mentioned they weren't reprinting the movie adaptation (amongst other things). I mean, it's "G1" so it really should be included.

I'm on the fence about continuing this collection. A complete hardback (admittedly Marvel, less so Dreamwave and IDW) collection of the Marvel US/UK saga has been the stuff of my comic-related dreams for a long time... but I'm not sure if this completely hits the spot.

I already have a complete run of the UK series (332 issues, plus all the collected comics, specials etc) and numerous reprints (most recently the IDW Classics/Classics UK) so yet another collection would need to be extremely special to justify cost. I'm not quite sure this is it.

As I am also decidedly indifferent to the IDW-verse (and really don't like the more recent MTMTE-era; yes I know, I'm a minority), collecting all 80+ books seems like I could be wasting a lot of money. Yes, I could just collect the Marvel-era volumes, but that damn half-complete spine art would haunt me (yes, I'm sad like that!)

Though they have faults, the black-cover style recent IDW Classics collections of the US series at least collect virtually everything - all 80 issues, Headmasters, GI Joe crossover, Movie, Universe profiles etc. Alternatively, the Titan hardback editions of the US reprints were really nice.

Decisions, decisions (not helped by also really liking the Eaglemoss Star Trek graphic novel collection. Collecting both, £40 a month on partworks seems a little excessive...

(Oh, and several B&W stories were reprinted in later - non numbered - collected comics from Marvel UK, shortly before they were brought by Panini. Published 1993/1994.)

EDIT: Ryan was also replying I was. To his points, I was also sad enough to make notes on all the UK edits and you're right, they make a big difference to some of the stories (and certainly allow them to flow better). I assume the licensing to reprint the US comics doesn't allow for edited versions, but that's pure speculation.

I can understand wanting to print the 'original' US version (in respect of those original creators) but a good compromise might be to add the amended pages in as well (to be truly 'definitive'...)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Agreed completely. Surely the whole point of combining UK and US in one collection for the first time would be to a) use the UK-doctored US versions, and b) print everything in the order it originally went out. As an aside, giving US covers full pages while relegating UK covers to 1/9th of a page is also a bit disappointing - as is omitting UK covers from issues featuring US stories.
    I feel much the same. A serious, definitive hardback US/UK reprint collection ought to have me chomping at the bit, but this is not impressing me the way it should. Not printing the Movie adaptation? I guess I could live without it, I mean you've got to draw the line somewhere (doubt they will print the Universe profiles either, nice as it would be). Hopefully they will include 'The Big Broadcast of 2006' this time (which is absent from my Titan TPB collection).

I just hope they up their game. I want to like this, but it doesn't help when you flick through and find howlers like 'Cybartron' and 'Decopticons' (header on page 1 of 'Back from the Dead'). Seriously, nobody is bothering to check these before printing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ultra badness

ultra badness Well-Known Member

4. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New reader here. I haven't really started reading these as i am waiting for a point when i have enough issues in a row to start or a point at which i could start, the begining is illusive... Reading snippets of Target 2006 but...

Hope there is some sense of delivering the volumes you need to read them or a bit of the point of buying these is defeated. Hope too that all the comic book issues are all there even if they don't quite fall in the right volume. Printing the covers so small is not so great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OptimusTimelord

Target: 2006 is worth reading purely as a standalone, if you want to get a flavour of the Marvel UK comic at its best. As a new reader I think you might actually be put off if you started at the very beginning - those early US issues can be a bit of a slog, and that's coming from a fan!

• Like Like x 1
  6. OptimusTimelord

So they're reprinting issue 1 and giving it away with issue 7, due to the spine. I'm more interested in page 10 of 'Decepticon Grafitti'... Can anyone confirm that it isn't just me with a fluke copy - that page is pretty terrible, right? Here are comparisons with my old Titan TPB (Hachette on the left):

DCcomparison1.jpg DCcomparison2.jpg

I'd really like to know if this was in every copy of issue 1, and therefore if it will be fixed for the reprint.

7. Cha Chi

News Credits:
    No it appears that is the way it was printed with the contrast + saturation bumped up. The other stories in the first issue don't appear to have been given quite the same treatment as most of them you can still make out the dot matrix printing details, shading.

I think it just about passes imo, some of the details are blown to hell, it is not completely faithful but atleast the one thing it has going for it is it is clean and bright. That must have been what they were thinking.

8. OptimusTimelord

Ok so it's in every copy... It's particularly that one page that's obviously suffered some freak over-processing (other pages still lack some of the finer line detail but are nowhere near this bad). Just seemed like the ideal opportunity to fix it if they're making new copies of that volume.

9. Cha Chi

News Credits:
    Yeah dunno really just guessing. It could be simply that the source they used was not very high quality. Maybe they will/could fix it.

10. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to pay over the phone yesterday because apparently Hachettes site is failing too show people when and how too pay for things they're subscribed too.

11. OptimusTimelord

Hadn't considered this, but they're using IDW's recoloured issues, right? Was that page maybe equally bad in earlier IDW collections, so not Hachette's fault? (I never bought those, being content with the Titan volumes).

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, the IDW Classics (black cover style) version with this issue looks a lot better.

I am still so torn on continuing with this, for reasons I mentioned earlier.

With IDW Classics UK v6 finally being released next month (which will take us up to UK #212) does anyone think the recolouring of all the B&W stories was a shared cost with Hachette/IDW and will see another print in UK Classics v7? Seems highly probable to me - in which case, another "plus" point to continue with the partwork is thrown out of the window.

For similar reasons, it also wouldn't surprise me if the "uncollected " Dreamwave stuff we're getting with the partwork is also going to get an IDW edition eventually.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, that Vol. 6 got the usual IDW delay. It's now May 24th according to the distributor. TRANSFORMERS CLASSICS UK TP VOL 06 (NOV160409)

14. OptimusTimelord

Yeah I think it's probable. I don't mind so much the idea of re-buying the comics (at least I don't already own the updated colour versions of the US issues, so the idea of owning those is appealing), and having US/UK together, in hardback... Yeah it's great in principle. And indeed the books are very nicely presented... But when the actual comics themselves are suffering because of silly typo software, and the quality of the art is so degraded, it's hard to stay enthusiastic.

I think I'm going to try and get an answer from them about that page from Decepticon Graffiti. It sounds silly, but if they don't even realise there's a problem with the quality there (and as far as I'm aware they haven't addressed it) what hope is there for quality control on the rest of the volumes?
    I got an email yesterday from Amazon about a change in release: 'Estimated arrival date: June 13 2017 - June 15 2017'

15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's in light of Diamond's update. Amazon's date is always 13 days past the street date. Like this is being released tomorrow but Amazon has Mar 7th.
    Transformers: IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 5 Hardcover – March 7, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/dp/163140844...TF8&colid=2H202R9LOSLFR&coliid=I148H66G650EXH

But I'll eat my hat if it even gets released May 24th...

• Like Like x 1
  16. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How thehell is Hearts of Steel 'definitive' G1? G2 and Beast Wars fit better than Hearts of Steel. Feels like a waste of a book. Never liked that series and been trying to sell my copies of the comics ever since but no one wants them even for £1 each on ebay.

17. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The wiki listing for that volume also has a bunch of Spotlights alongside it. I'm guessing it's being included so they can be comprehensive - hopefully this points towards the New Avengers/Transformers crossover being included too since Hachette have the Marvel license in Europe.

I'm still wondering if any of the GI Joe crossovers will be included. Hopefully they will be, and we'll get the UK Action Force crossover too!

18. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hope we don't get that awful cross over from a couple of years ago that looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old.

Really if they are including stuff like Hearts of Steel they may as well include Beast Wars, Armada and G2 as they would only be maybe 5 extra books worth.

19. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone got the delivery of issue 3,4 yet? (Delivery 2)

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    not sure if i'm going to continue with this set , thought it would be a better way than the tedious hunting for good copies of the original comics which i have been meaning to do for a while now