UK Transformers Graphic Novel Partwork from Hatchette

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payres, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's part of IDW's "remastering process" - when the old comics are scanned in, the text is picked up by the OCR (optical character recognition) software. Sadly, the software misreads certain letters, resulting in the new versions containing typos that weren't originally present.

This sort of thing is quite common in IDW reprints, notably in the GI Joe stuff. Examples in the IDW Transformers TPB reprints include "Hissins" instead of Higgins (in the credits of US#1) and "Durasyllium" instead of "Durabyllium" in US#19. Those are just a couple off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And I guess they never heard of QC and proofreading?
    Looks like I will probably stick to buying the original UK comics from ebay, then.
    The company being "localpatriotic" and not shipping outside the UK (when they are like, a 2 hour flight away?) just makes my decision easier. Looks like they are preparing for Brexit already...

3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

That's mad... Why use a software like that on good old fashioned handwritten text? I don't even understand how it can make changes to what isn't even a proper font!
    I still have all my UK originals, the nostalgia factor goes beyond the stories themselves; the intro page, letters, cartoon strips, even competitions and toy ads, all make those 'definitive' enough for me. Literally my only problem with them is the actual age/fragility. Would have loved this hardback collection to have just been a straight-up hardcover reprint of it all, page by page...

• Like Like x 1
  4. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    None in book 2, that's all IDW. Book 3 has Cold Comfort and Joy, The Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire, Race with the Devil and Survivors. The last two of which being B&W strips that are newly coloured.

5. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for that. It's good to see the newly coloured strips.

6. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh, don't get me started. IDW are ridiculously lazy with their reprints. Don't get me started with their delays.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except the IDW "Transformers Classics" volume 2 with issue #23 in doesn't have this same problem - Skids is still Skids, not Skips! I know there are other problems with them, but this one is on Hachette.

8. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    I just received Volume 3/4 (Issues 16/18) this morning.

9. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A hatchet job

• Like Like x 2
  10. OptimusTimelord

Out of curiosity, what is in vol.4? Also, have they given subscribers any kind of list or plan of what the contents of upcoming volumes will be, or is it just basically random?

11. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    The covers say "Primal Scream" & "Edge Of Extinction."
    16/PS: Marvel UK 198, & 213-222, US 57-61. (UK 199-212 are probably in issue 17)
    18/EOE: Marvel US 67-75
    No-one knows what volumes 5+ will contain, nor what Issues they will be. The promo trailer gives a brief glimpse that Jazz will be on the cover.
    All we know is that the next batch will have a "Tin Plate Cover", whatever that is, Batch 4 will have a mug and Batch 5 will have the most important pack-in gift: Bookends!! (Batches 1 & 2 came with Autobot/Decepticon Keyrings & a Wallet respectively.)
    And a Premium Subscription nets you some nifty prints.
    All that we know is on their site:
    Transformers The Definitive G1 Collection

• Like Like x 1
  12. OptimusTimelord

Thanks, that actually helps give some scale to the amount of volumes... Seems like the original Marvel comics will end at about vol.19 (which is a lot more manageable than the full 80-volume set!!). Picking up just those 19 might be tricky though, if you don't know when to expect them...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Issue 5 - War Within(with Jazz on the cover)

Follow their facebook for indication of what is next.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    Volumes 2 (IDW Stormbringer) & 3 (Marvel Primal Scream) are available for purchase from the Hachette site at £6.99 & £9.99 respectivley.
    Volume 4 is availabe for £9.99 on the 8/Feb/2017. (Tommorow)
    Transformers The Definitive G1 Collection - Hachette Partworks LTD

15. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Perhaps it's something to do with the Hachette version being (essentially) a new master? The version in the IDW Classics reprints had to be altered to remove the Spider-Man logo on the little boy's t-shirt, whereas that particular rights problem appears to have been solved.

Now the Spider-Man t-shirt is allowed back in, I guess they re-scanned the original images and that's where the problem arose.

16. OptimusTimelord

Thanks, at least that hopefully means it's fairly easy to get missed issues.

I was in the newsagents yesterday and saw Volume 3 still out. Decided to give them another chance and picked it up (having skipped Vol 2). I haven't read the comics yet, but just had a quick flick through... Surprised there isn't more discussion of this actually. Is there another thread somewhere or is everyone just on Facebook these days?! Anyway... So I was under the impression these volumes were chronological US and UK stories, but the first story ends with 'Next: Time Wars!' but skips to 'Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire'. Then 'Survivors' (UK #222) ends with 'Next: Aspects of Evil!' only to jump to 'Back from the Dead' (UK #240). I realise there was a lot going on in TFUK at the time (shorter US and UK material both in the same issues) but continuity seems to have gone out the window.

On the plus side, although the newly coloured UK stories are very spotty, the US stuff here seems much cleaner than the detail-lacking US stories in the first Volume.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simon Furman explained that #198 is included slightly out of order in "Primal Scream" for 'thematic reasons' - it really should be just before "Time Wars".

"Aspects of Evil" is set hundreds of years in the future, so isn't really "after" "Survivors" chronologically, so there's no problem there.

It would be unfair to say continuity has gone out the window. Remember, original publication was all over the place and continuity and chronology has always been open to significant interpretation and debate (such as "Time Wars" being printed in the middle of "Underbase", the B&W stories, "Man Of Iron"/"Enemy Within"/"Raiders of the Last Ark"...list goes on!)

Having said that, I can't see any reason why "Mind Games"/"Two Megatrons" (UK #243-244) wasn't included in between "Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire" and "Back From The Dead" - the whole story is an attempt to 'resolve' the mismatch between UK and US plotlines, and clearly belongs right there.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just collected my saved copy of issue four from the newsagents and there's no backing board on it this time. Is that (going to be) the norm (now)? If so it's a bit of a pity since that extra card helped protect the book from careless transport and handling from print to the newsagent. I'm not fond of the hassle of telling a newsagent I don't want the copy they got in because it was dinged or scraped in some way.
    There's a thread for this in TF Comics discussion, but for some reason this one here gets a bit more attention. I'm slightly surprised the mods haven't merged this one into that already to keep the discussion all in one place.
    I have Facebook, but a message board is much easier to follow a continuing discussion.
    I think it was explained away as being a method to keep people collecting as there's more of a compulsion to fill in the gaps in scattered volumes and connect up the separated stories as the collection grows rather than all in continuity where people are more likely to stop once a part reaches an end. It does make for a bit of a mish-mash though with strips from various runs mixed in together (in a single volume).
    It must be very confusing for new readers. Personally I'd rather have had everything separate and released in continuity order.
    Weren't some of the UK black and white stories coloured previously for some collected release(s)? I have this hazy recollection of a 'For the first time in colour!' blurb regarding these strips maybe a decade or so ago.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  19. OptimusTimelord

I guess it depends how you view continuity. If nothing is explicitly contradicted by swapping stories around to create a more streamlined/thematic volume, I can see an argument for that (not one I agree with though). And yes, you can say 'Aspects of Evil' is set in the future so it doesn't matter. But for me, part of the attachment I have to the G1 comics saga is how I remember events unfolding; in what order stuff happened or elements were revealed is part of that, and I'd rather read it all as I read it back then. 'Cold Comfort and Joy' may work just as well plotwise after 'Time Wars' as before it, but Prime undergoes a major character shift and gets his mojo - his love of Earth - back just in time for one of the biggest epics in the TF:UK run, which surely changes the perception of him in TW (in the Hachette timeline he will not have this epiphany until after that huge storyline).

But aside from that, 'Fall and Rise of the Decepticon Empire', 'Race with the Devil' and 'Survivors' originally ran alongside 'Guess Who the Mecannibals are Having for Dinner', 'Recipe for Disaster' and 'King Con'. Now I can understand those US stories being moved (into Vol 15?) to create a run of US followed by a run of UK (rather than being intertwined as they originally were), but where are the other UK issues that come after 'Survivors' but before 'Back from the Dead'? (including 'The Big Shutdown', 'Small War', 'Deathbringer', 'Way of the Warrior', 'Savage Place' etc etc). So yeah, a lot of stuff is out of order, and whether you consider it out of continuity or not the whole timeline is going to read very differently.
    Yeah new readers must be struggling. There's no explanation why 'Time Wars' and 'Aspects of Evil' are trailed but not included, and shuffling various issue numbers out of order into other volumes must be as puzzling to them as it is to old fans like myself. As for the colour, I have a vague idea that some B&W stories were coloured way back for reprinting in later UK annuals or Collected Comics or somesuch.

20. Ryan F

News Credits:
    The major problem here is that they are using the original versions of the US stories instead of the UK edits.

There were a lot of dialogue edits and other changes made to the US strips when they were printed in the UK. I have a list of every single edit that was made for the UK market (part of my forthcoming G1 guidebook thing that's coming out later this year), but here are just a few highlights...

Showdown (US#20) - Skid's dialogue is changed to explain his forthcoming absence from Target: 2006...

‘I’m going back with Donny – back to my people, the Autobots’ is replaced in the British comic by ‘When my wounds heal, I’m going back to the Autobots’ (page 22, panel 3).

The Bridge to Nowhere (US#19) - In the UK comics, Megatron and Shockwave had been co-leaders of the Decepticons (since Second Generation), something that simply hadn't happened in the American books, so an entire conversation had to be doctored...

US Version:

SHOCKWAVE: How like you, Megatron, to be foolishly expending your energy on emotional outbursts... and, even worse, on a lowly human!

MEGATRON: Shockwave! I sent Laserbeak and Buzzsaw to find Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp -- not you!

SHOCKWAVE: Then you should congratulate yourself for outperforming even your own paltry expectations... and for bringing me back to reclaim my rightful -- and logical -- position as leader of the Decepticons!

UK Version (changes in bold):

SHOCKWAVE: How like you, Megatron, to be foolishly expending your energy on emotional outbursts... and, even worse, on a lowly human!

MEGATRON: Shockwave! Though we both command the Decepticons, I suggest you use a different tone to address me!

SHOCKWAVE: Perhaps the alliance was a mistake. A mistake that I must rectify! Stand aside and I shall reclaim my rightful -- and logical -- position as leader of the Decepticons!

Gone But Not Forgotten (US#25) - again, a conversation was heavily altered to reflect the fact that the Predacons were making their second visit to Earth (in the UK comics, they had already fought Megatron in 'Prey')...

US version:

SHOCKWAVE: ‘You’ll find coordinates to which you’ll send the space bridge. There is also an additional assignment. As leader of the Predacons you’ll appreciate this, Razorclaw. It involves your team’s speciality – hunting.’

RAZORCLAW: ‘Who’s our prey?’

SHOCKWAVE: ‘The most dangerous prey of all – Megatron. Needless to say, a successful hunt will earn you a most generous reward.’

UK version:

SHOCKWAVE: ‘You’ll find coordinates to which you’ll send the space bridge. I will be there to meet you and your Predacons. Your team’s special hunting talents are needed again – and once more it is Megatron who is your prey!

RAZORCLAW: ‘But he knows us!

SHOCKWAVE: ‘No – he’s so deranged he’s forgotten your first attack. Needless to say, a successful hunt still earns you a most generous reward.’

And these examples are just the tip of the iceberg - there are many, many examples of the US stories being 'massaged' to fit with wider UK/US continuity, none of which are going to feature in the Hachette reprints. From the Sparkabots arriving on Earth for the first time on two different occasions (Cash and Car-nage and Enemy Action) to Skids appearing at Prime's funeral when he should be trapped in limbo (Funeral for a Friend), these stories will make a whole lot less sense simply because they aren't using the special UK edits of the American material.

• Like Like x 3