UK Toy Fair: Transformers Private Area CLOSED

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The private area containing toys and footage from ROTF was closed, and retailers were also turned away. Read more, here!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    This sounds like par for the course for Hasbro UK.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    A shame. People tend to not think about the consequences of their actions.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    what i wanna know is where this leaked video footage is lol

i kid i kid

[but seriously o__O]

xD

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Same, NGW wants see footage and toys now plx.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    *SLOW CLAP*

Congratulations Hasbro. Your desire to protect your petty little secrets has damaged your relationship with retailers. I hope you enjoy your continued mediocrity in the UK.

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What A silly thing to say. You have no idea who made the call to shut it down. Could have been Hasbro U.S., Dreamworks, Bay. Obviously somebody at hasbro UK broke some rules on what could be shown to the public.

If people didnt feel the need to run to the internet at say "look how cool I am, I know something you dont!!!" the area would probably still be open to retailers.

8. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Can’t deal with that right now

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wow, I guess they really aren't F'ing around with this. I hope Hasbro's UK customers are understanding of the circumstances, but I wonder if there may have been alternatives that would have allowed them to still see the toys while still plugging the info leak...

9. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    God damn they do take themselves seriously, they make toys not world changing secrets. :crazy: 

10. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, actually studying the CCTV to see who it may have been.

Wow.

Toys really are serious business!

11. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

That's a real shame, both in the breaking of the non-disclosure agreement and Hasbro's resultant toys/throwing/pram reaction. Hopefully it won't lead to worsened relationships between supply and retail; in this day and age though you can't expect to keep this stuff under wraps for too long, it's just too easy to get it up on the 'net for them to stop it - so I would put money on any possible illicit footage & pics making their way into the public domain before too long, if they exist.

12. Fort Max

News Credits:
    I hope this doesn't have an adverse effect on the US toyfair.

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    from the sounds of it they only had the preview figures. I haven't seen any pictures but I don't need to. Why was it such a big deal, why couldn't the UK be the place where they reveal some information to the public

14. TF@TM

TF@TM Lucky Draw Collector

News Credits:
    You would have thought that they would have searched everyone and made sure they no one came through with any recording equipment, phones etc. It was appointment only via your Hasbro sales rep so they should have known who everyone was. Hell a basic metal detector and a policy to search everyone would have done, but it sounds like Hasbro UK were too trusting or perhaps a little lazy and didn't search everyone. Thus the problems and "big brother in the US" calling for the blanket ban.

Why did Hasbro react that way? Hasbro US have probably signed a deal with a magazine(s) for exclusive first looks at the toys / videos or whatever ever was in their and recorded. Those deals may now be off causing Hasbro loss in revenue.

Remember it was not just Transformers in there, but more importantly G.I-Joe. Transformers had a very successful first film and though they may want to keep things quiet, retailers have a fair idea of what to expect and that sales should be high. G.I-Joe is new (well the movie), its not established in the UK and hasn't sold well for 25 years so could be a big risk for retailers spending money on that range rather than lines such as Ben10, Power Ranges and Gormitti which are all virtually guaranteed to sell and shift big numbers.

Will it have any effect on the US toy fair? Extremely doubtful. The only thing might be tighter security both in terms of checking and who they let in. It will be interesting to see how it affects Hasbro UKs future toy fair displays as they had the leak.

They had more than preview figures in the private area, but as a result of the leak they moved the two preview figures and three Joes out to the public area so there was something for retailers to see.

15. Fort Max

News Credits:
    Anything other then remoulded Bumblebee and deluxe Soundwave?

16. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sounds to like they don't have some copyrights and/or patents down yet.....idiots

Where's the damn leaked images!

17. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

NDAs over slaggin' TOYS are totally rediculous. for years I've taken issue with the "ZOMJ NO PICTARS NOBODY CAN KNOW!" crap. the sooner the public sees what it'll get, the sooner the hype for the product can start building, and the more chance there is that when the items hit retail, they're bought by many people purely on hype, boosting profits.

the stupid thing about the "only for retailers to see" is that 90% of retailers *don't actually care what's in the line as long as they're lead to believe they'll make money on it*. the usual attitude is along the lines of "I don't care, I just sell it.", and yet toy companies are binding things up in pointless secrecy.

18. Fort Max

News Credits:
    It's because they're attached to a very expensive movie and producers of said movie want their characters and plot details to remain as secret as possible, which is fair enough imo. With the amount of work these people put into the movies they have every right to try and keep it secret to ensure the biggest impact on cinema goers when the film launches.

19. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think Hasbro US just wants all the glory at New York Toy Fair.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'll be very surprised if this doesnt hurt Hasbro sales here this year. Not showing retailers what theyre going to be buying, I doubt they'll pay on good faith.

Between this, the economy and jacking up the prices, it could be a rough year for Hasbro UK.