UK PSA: Too Much or About Time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube - British PSA: Texting While Driving (18 OR OLDER TO WATCH!!!!!)[Viewer Discretion ADVISED!!!]

This may rather brutal for a PSA, but the subject of Texting (or even talking on a Cell) while driving needs to be addressed.

but after watching this, do you think it is too graphic, or should it stay this way to shock teens/young adults into reality?

Having seen what Drinking and Driving can do on a personal level, my opinion is that no method goes too far (as PSA's or education goes) if it can save lives.

your opinions?

2. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Woah...:O

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It needs Yakety Sax for background music.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We rock at PSAs for the simple reason that rather have a celebrity come and tell us all how naughty we've been, we see people getting mangled in various horrific ways.

I like this one, for me it was way more scary than any horror film could be.

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Can anybody say "That's fucked!"?

6. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

This shit is real,just today there was some teen driving well over 45mph half going off the road.
    When she pulled up next to me at a stop light(about six feet past the white line) I see her texting.Then when the light turned green for the left turn only she was clearly so distracted that she thought it was a normal light and took off.

I pasted her on down the road where a cop pulled here over and she's still texting while the cop was writing her ticket.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hopefully it will do some good.

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow... George Romero take notice! A British PSA is now officially scarier then your latest film!

Man, graffic. Luckily, I don't text, I just change my playlists on my iPod! :p 

9. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i guess i am not bothered by it.
    we have a demonstration every year at my high school showing the same thing (minus the collision and the choppers) but it is used to discourage drinking and driving on prom night.
    Back in '93- my senior year- the fire department's Jaws of Life broke. and they couldn't get the "victims" out. it took another 15 minutes for another unit to bring one.
    Without skipping a beat, the Police Chief who was narrating the events said, "Drinking and Driving is the beginning. Your night will only get worse."

10. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This. They really keep pushing the bar up with our road safety PSA ads.
    Also...Tredegar. That's not far from me. And where I am we need to PSA's of this calibre to get the message across.

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I think it's about time.

Texting + Driving = Bad Combo

My little brother almost got hit by a girl texting while driving.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It's funny, how the offenders in this department always seem to be women. I thought women were supposed to be good at multi-tasking.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Just because you're doing three things at once doesn't mean you're doing them well. I wonder if that's part of the problem? Young women are being told they're good at multi-tasking, so think they're alright to text whilst driving.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Texting dumbasses will never learn. Even if they saw this.

"Think once. Think twice. Think 'don't drive your car on the pavement' "

15. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Pretty tame, actually

16. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Graphic? Maybe.

Necessary? Absolutely.

Seriously, these things need to be hard-hitting in order to get the message across. I remember a couple of years ago Network Rail (who own and look after our country's railway network) made a pretty shocking ad warning against the dangers of driving around crossing gates when trains are approaching. Unfortunately a couple of idiots complained about how graphic it was and it got banned. Today people are still being seriously injured/killed by people who can't wait 30 damn seconds for a train to pass.

Sadly, we need more of these. I was in a van with Locustreign heading down to Auto Assembly last Friday and we overtook a car transporter loaded with about 7 or 8 cars, and the driver was texting - I watched him as we passed and his attention was more focused on his phone than it was on the road ahead. Moron.

18. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Whilst these PSA's hopefully do some good, the main problem is the lack of cops on the road. It's rare to see a cop car unless it's attending/coming back from a call.

Our government's reliance on speed cameras has led to an increase in various other driving offences, as long as you can slow down for a camera, you're unlikely to get caught doing anything else.

I'm not a fan of the rampant 'health and safety' culture, but nowhere else could you qualify to operate a dangerous machine, then not be retested on your competence until 53 years later!

Clingfilm parcel of mashed banana and jam FTW!

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That was just brutal. Unfortunately, I suspect that the people this is aimed at will just laugh, roll their eyes, go "Whatever," and just keep being stupid.

20. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We have checkpoints here at the gates leading into our army base where they check for a government sticker and your ID.
    Ft. Rucker banned cell phone use while driving (unless it's hands free.)
    yet, several times, i have been in line and watching the driver ahead of me talking on a cell phone, then acting upset he had to dig his wallet out to show ID.

and the armed mall cops we have at the gates won't even tell them the rule.

People on post think they are Jack Ryan or something think they are entitled to break the rules for safe driving.

Problem seems that the best way to enforce the no-texting law is by Grim Reaper.
    You die, well, i guess you got caught breaking the law.