UK peeps - anyone with Virgin Media?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omnius, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey hey hey,

Are any of the UK regulars in here using Virgin Media? I've been their customer (and ntl prior to Virgin buying them) since 2000 but the poor quality of their service is giving me cause to switch to another ISP, even if it means re-connecting the old BT line. Current problems are:

* A recent upgrade from 4Mb to 10Mb/sec, and most of the time it's like I'm back on 2Mb/sec. :( 
    * 'Traffic management' - download more than 750kb/s in one evening and they kill your speed for a while. Why offer 'fast' connections if you can't make the best use of them?
    * Torrents - I'm pretty sure VM are taking steps to block torrent packets based on known trackers and ports.
    * Generally poor reliability - downtime is damn-near a daily occurrence, I wonder where my £24.99/month is going to.

So yah, I'm on the hunt for a new ISP before I tear my hair out - any recommendations?

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I've been their customer since 2000 as well and I only recall my area down times a few times. But I hate the 'download too much and you'll slow down to a snail's pace' system they set up. I havent noticed anything wrong with torrents though.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Wow I was with Virgin for a good two years and they were absoloutely amazing to me :( 

4. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have a look at Be - My Dad's pretty happy with them, and it's better speeds for less money than what you're currently paying.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm with talktalk. Which considering I'm not actually paying for my Broadband is actually alright.

Not totally reliable, and speeds are so so, but thats with the Talktalk servers. When connect to XBL, its perfectly fine, I assume because it logs on directly to MS servers. I think.

6. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I'm with BT at home and Sky at Uni home. The sky wireless router can crap out and my BT broadband link just turns off and reconnects every few hours. Both are fine in general though, not fast though in my areas...

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think they had a change of CEO who is making some stupid ass decisions like giving better paying customers faster net speed because he thinks net-neutrality is "a load of bollocks" (Can I say that here?).

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You can say bollocks. I dont think the Americans know what it means anyway.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ukonline is who i've been with for almost 3 years. £25 pm for 22mb download and no bandwidth restrictions.

10. Mxprime

Mxprime Banned

Hmm my virgin media has been somewhat fantastic, I mean I always seem to have a good internet speed and I download stuff a lot.

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ughh, ukonline were a pain for me to get connected.
    After months of broken promises I told them to stick there connection and went somewhere else.

Currently with Plus.net who had me connected earlier than that date they provided and have never been a problem.

They even moved my account when I changed flats.

However they do have transfer limits during peak times, but cause I was signed up before they changed the times I'm still on the old times which are prefect. Plus and large downloads I do over night.