Customs: Uk Game workshop

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RipCurl, May 6, 2011.

1. RipCurl

RipCurl I just can't get enough!

News Credits:
    I put UK in the title as I'd rather avoid go to target answers.

Anyway I have a spare Terradive to paint and have never painted before in my life. I've read the tutorials and such. I went into games workshop and the guy said to spray it completely black and use their foundations to paint . He said that'll work because it'll take straight to the black rather than coming out slightly darker .

Has anyone used their paints before ?
    Should I spray him black ?
    What about if their is bits I can't get the spray paint to reach ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

~K

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep I paint exactly this way.citadel colours over either a black or White base coat.

Use the base coat sprays that they sell and the foundation paints work well too. These paints are used to help the colours stick to the plastic. If you need any more info I'm your guy lol check out my customs in radicons to see the results!

Oh and to get to areas you don't think the paint can get you need to take the figure apart and rebuild it afterwards - the tutorials will help you on this :D  again hope it helps and if you need more help give me a pm!

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Always use citidel colours myself. have never deviated since the expirement that destroyed two minicons, Blackout and Corona Sparkplug.

4. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Its not bad advice.

All plastics should be undercoated to make the paint stick better to the plastic. Some people like to undercoat black as it allows you to leave the black in the cracks and therefore blackline, and create natural shading. Some people prefer to undercoat white as the colours you put on top shine brighter. Personally, I like grey... but thats just me.

Standard paints - GW, Vallejo, etc - often have difficulty painting light colours over dark. For example, painting yellow or red over over a black undercoat can be difficult to get a good coverage, and need several coats, which can then blot out some detail.

GW Foundation paints are specifically designed to cover far better in a single coat. However, there is a limited selection of colours.

The best thing to do is undercoat black (after taking the figure apart) and give it one or two coats of a foundation paint, and then move on to the standard GW paints for any additional detail, etc.

I hope that this helps.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I swear by GW paints, and always use them even though they cost like 1.5x more than everything else. I'd only ever switch to Mr. Hobby if i didn't have that GW paint at the time.

Also, their Foundation line is amazing, everything covers in one coat. Astronomican Grey is your standard light grey, but because it's Foundation, it covers really well and serves as a great base for painting light colours over. Their are also many other colours in Foundation, which you then apply the same finishing colour paint over the top (e.g. Mordian Blue Foundation with Enchanted/Ultramarines Blue topcoat). Of course, you can use any foundation with any paint, but i find keeping to the same colour helps a lot.

As far as i'm concerned, undercoating with Black is unnecessary. As long as you sand down your figure first, the Foundation coat will do fine. It's not a bad thing to undercoat the figure with black, but it's not something you have to do.

6. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With me however I have now moved onto airbrushing most of my customs as using a foundation and then a top coat of which ever colour your going for can leave brush marks.not always but sometimes.

So undercoating using a spray will alway have smoother results when putting the paint on top rather than a brushed base coat.

Even the citadel colours paints and be airbrushed to give a nice finish. They are very versatile and obtainable which is my two biggest perks of them.

7. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Games workshop paints are great, I've used them as a professional modelmaker for years.
    As for Base coats I'd say it depends on your main colour. If its a metallic then definaltly use black, they show up much better. but to be honest for everything else I'd say base coat in white. Blacks fine for miniatures but when it come to large surfaces the last thing you want to be doing it lots of coats to get a solid colour. That said it does pay to do a few thin coats to build up the solidness rather than one or two thick coats, especially when you're doing a TF.

And don't worry about parts that you can't get into with the spray, your best option is to dissasemble your tf and paint the pieces separatly (although you might want to sand down areas that rub together to give room for the paint to prevent scratching you new paint.) Don't forget how to put your TF back together though.

Finally once you've painted you might want to give your parts a quick spray with clear laquer. a few tips though, make sure the can is thouroughly shaken and don't spray too close or heavily onto the parts. laquer can make your paint go all crazy paving on you and it turns all rubber like and you'll have to strip it all off and start again.
    I've learnt that the hard way far too many times.

happy painting