UK G1 VHS Help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gingerchris, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    About five years ago I lent my sister some of my G1 VHS tapes for her husband's sons to watch. Him and my sister split up a short while later and only recently I realised I never got my tapes back. A lot of stuff has gone astray during their split so I'm likely to never see those tapes again, but I do see G1 VHS regularly when I'm at car boot sales so it'll probably be pretty easy to replace them very cheaply. I have the episodes on DVD now but I still want the old VHS back for my TF collection.

Anyway, I'm trying to work out what I'm missing. I have an idea of the main ones but there were also secondary releases in different covers. Posted below are photos of what I still have and under that is a list of the main ones I think I'm short of and what the covers are. If anyone else has different covers or can add to the list then that'd be really helpful.
    Remember this is G1 UK VHS releases only.

What I've still got:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the Beast Wars tape - that was already in the photo since I'd taken it for something else.
    [​IMG]

What I think is missing:

- Arrival From Cybertron (Megatron and Optimus box-style art, Optimus with his back to us)
    - Megatron's Master Plan (G1 Megatron Boxart on grid background)
    - Desertion of the Dinobots (G1 Optimus boxart on grid background)
    - Revenge of Bruticus/Dinobot Island Pt1+2 (blue border and animation artwork of Bruticus)
    - Key to Vector Sigma/War Dawn (G1 Silverbolt box art on grid background)
    - The Return of Optimus Prime (Powermaster Optimus rear box artwork)

Was Heavy Metal Wars also in there somewhere?

I've got the following on DVD but I'm sure they also had a VHS release with the same covers:
    - Season One Special Collectors Series:
    Volume One: Green cover, Optimus head artwork
    Volume Two: Blue cover, Starscream head artwork
    Volume Three: Red cover Megatron head artwork

- Generation 2 (Megatron firing cannon artwork, purple/pink cover)

Did any of the Takara single disc releases and the later The Rebirth second release and Five Faces of Darkness have VHS versions?

Any help is appreciated. :) 

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (the one on the right is American)

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks. These are all UK releases, yes? (apart from the American one you point out) Damn, there's a lot more than I remember. Invaluable info!

4. Bass X0

News Credits:
    They're all pics of UK videos I've found online. I have some VHS Transformers tapes of my own that I no longer want.

Desertion of the Dinobots (1984 Optimus Prime box artwork)

The Big Broadcast of 2006 & Fight or Flee (pictured above)

Heavy Metal Wars & The Girl Who Loved Powerglide (similar to one pictured above; same artwork but different border)

Dark Awakening & Grimlock's New Brain (same artwork as the Dark Awakening video above but different border)

The Revenge of Bruticus & Dinobot Island 1 + 2 (features Optimus Prime and Shockwave)

The Key To Vector Sigma (features redrawn artwork of Silverbolt)

Action Adventure Collection: Starscream's Brigade, Negative Polarity (Inhumanoids), Where The Reptiles Roam (Action Force) - (features artwork from the three different series, has Megatron for Transformers)

The Return of Optimus Prime (as pictured)

Let me know if you want to buy any.

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm always seeing TF videos at car boots for like 10p each so I'm probably going to scour those for a bit first to try and snag some bargains. If I'd remembered last year I was missing my tapes I could've probably scooped up a lot of these during the main car boot season no problem. The season is only just starting here again for the year so there's lots of potential for easy finds.
    If that comes up empty though and I finally get around so sorting myself out with a PayPal account I might just hit you up.
    Regardless though thanks a lot for posting those covers as that's been an enormous help. :) 

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a batch of links to TFWiki's articles for the various UK VHS producers - should fill any remaining holes!

Video Gems
    Channel 5
    St. Michael Video Library
    Entertainment UK
    Tempo Video

I want to say that Maverick's sole Headmasters release (the first six episode) did get a VHS release, but I can't prove it offhand. I don't think FFoD or The Rebirth did, but again, not sure.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Ta. I think my TFWiki Fu must be weak as I searched there before making this thread and found nothing.

8. adamme

adamme Well-Known Member

bring back memories, somewhere I have both the Key to Vector Sigma and Desertion of the Dinobots

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I LOVED the red boxes of the Video Gem releases. Brings backs so many memories of watching a tape, rewinding it, and watching it again constantly for an entire weekend as a little kid.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Yeah, seeing those covers certainly brings on a wave of nostalgia. All those hours spent with those old tapes, watched far more than any of the TF DVDs I now have. Not getting the episodes aired much - or at all - on UK telly meant those tapes were often the only exposure we had to certain episodes. And when the 1986 movie finally made it to tape I was watching it at least three times a day every day for weeks. Amazed it still plays.

11. Zeta Primal

Zeta Primal Member

Wow this thread brings back some memories! I remember the UK comic saying that a post-movie series was on the way but we never got to see series 3 here. Imagine my excitement when I stumbled across the starscream's ghost - nightmare planet - ghost in the machine VHS is my local M&S. Was so excited, I didn't even know for sure that the series existed in those pre-internet days! M&S video, how random is that??

12. Bass X0

News Credits:
    I used to watch season three all the time as a kid On Sky One (during the D.J. Kat Show; I had to wake up quite early). I don't think it was ever shown on terrestrial TV though.

I didn't get to see much of seasons one and two as a kid. I was born in 1981 so I was still young when it first came out, I don't think I was aware of Transformers until about 1986 or 1987. But I swear that I had a Megatron before I knew what Transformers were.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Cool. I still have Arrival from Cybertron and Megatron's Master Plan.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I have a tape somewhere that included one episode of GI Joe, Inhumanoids and Transformers. Transformers featured Starscream's Brigade, I don't remember off-hand what the rest of the details were. Not sure where that got to - it's at home somewhere but got packed away once I got the Rhino DVDs.

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's this one!

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What's a VHS? Is this some new form of technology I haven't heard of before? :D  :D  :D  :D 

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    A lot of people still use VHS regularly. I do for sure, even if it's mostly for recording telly. And I sell a surprisingly large amount of VHS on my car boot stall.
    Not that I'm aware. I got all my season three exposure through VHS. It wasn't until I got the internet about five years ago I found out just how many episodes we missed out on on normal telly. It was like when Beast Wars got a VHS release and there were all these episodes that never aired. I knew we'd missed a few but never so many as we actually did.

18. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I have between 20 and 30 UK VHS tapes. Weird since I don't have a PAL VCR... But then again, maybe about 8-10 of those tapes went underwater so do they even count anymore? I should go an do an inventory of what I have and post it.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I know it's been a while but I just thought I'd add a little happy ending to this thread.
    Today my brother sent up about fourteen crisp boxes full of VHS he wants me to sell on my car boot stall for him and within those boxes I found... my missing TF VHS! Exactly how they ended up in his possession considering I originally lent them to my sister I have no idea, but it's great to have them back again. :rock 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best happy ending ever. Fact.