UK G1 comics question

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, May 19, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Okay, so I recently purchased some eComics of the original UK comic run. I have a few questions, that once answered, I'll put in this post to make it easy for anyone else with the same questions to find them.

First, is it normal to have some black and white pages mixed with color pages? For example, I was looking at issue #10 "Man of Iron". Some pages would be b&w, then the next page color. It was so random. Is this the way the original comic was or do I have defective scans?

Second, where do the annuals and other non-numbered stories and such go in the run? I'd like to read everything in order, but I'm not sure which issues to read the annuals or action force crossovers after. Plus, are there any other non-numbered stories besides annuals and action force that I need to work in?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all answers. :) 

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can of worms for sure.
    Firstly, don't pay for scans, they're only the same electronic copies available for free on the webz.
    Secondly, the UK annual stories may or may not sit within a given continuity, either UK or US, depending on which story you're referring to.
    It is normal for the comic issues to be in black and white. There are recoloured versions from some of the annuals and collected comics.

3. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

the tpb idw uk reprints (i have #1 and 2 now) have put everything in order and explained their overall relevance etc. id say unless you have a thing against tpb, just go that route.

4. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's normal. They were cutting the production cost that way.

5. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    It was easier to pay $20 for the scans than try to gather them all myself and worry about viruses and stuff piggybacking torrents. As for annuals, I do know that at least one of them had the final chapter of one of the story arcs ( target 2006 maybe? ).

It may put the extra stuff in order with the UK stuff, but it doesn't put the UK stuff in order with the US stuff that was also available in the UK. It'd be easier to work in the extra stuff to the UK comics than to try to go back and forth between US and UK issues in trades. I want to read stuff in order, so this way is less of a chore.

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have nearly all the UK comics, (see sig) and all the annuals and most of the text stories I can find. They're not all that difficult to acquire. I also have a load of TPB's for quick reads.
    However, I also spent 5 minutes on google and located a single download containing all 332 uk issues + annuals, so it's not difficult.

Not that i'm advocating you do so, as that is not allowed around here. I don't feel bad because I already own all the content anyway.

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks, but I'm not looking to get them. I have them. I was just wanting to know where the annuals fall into the main story so I can read those in order also.

8. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it was normal. I think they went back and colored some later.

I have refered to this link and have posted a few times on other threads. RabidYak did a great job. Remember, sticky's are your friend. Just kinding with you.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-comics-discussion/87265-guide-reading-transformers-via-titan-reprints.html

I have been reading them in order too but got stuck in issue #102 or something, the prey story.

Some uk annual stories are in order but not sure if all are on that link.

9. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The simple way is to look at the year the Annual is published. It would then normally match up with that years comic run.

Though saying that, after the 4th or so annual the remainder tended to have a lot of reprints directly from the comic rather than new or completed story lines.

10. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    A lot of annual stories were stand-alone anyway, such as the Swoop/Divebomb strip. Only one annual (87?) finished a story that had begun in the comics, but as I recall the backlash on that was so fierce that it wasn't repeated.

Some of the annual stories aren't even canon, especially the text stories - the first UK annual had a story that placed Twin Twist on Earth for example.

It's a bit messy all in :) 

11. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    No offense, but that doesn't help. I know what year to put them in. The problem is that there are 52 issues per year and I don't know which two the annual would fall between. What month were the annuals released?

12. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks. That link helps a lot. It puts the stories in order, so I can get the annuals where they need to be.

13. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a lot of stuff in there so I don't know if you saw this in there.

There are a couple of annual stories that you might want to read at a specific point on your way through that years comics rather then at the end of them - Victory occurs while the Dinobots are inactive between The Dinobot Hunt and Second Generation and Vicious Circle concludes the story from Fire on High. Altered Image and All in the Minds are best read where they are listed as they lead directly into Time Wars, which kicks off the following year.

You will have to do some work with some of those annual stories to place them in order. Like others have said, some are just text, recaps or seem out of continuity.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Annuals are a Christmas gift so they often come out in the last few months of the year in the run up to the festive season. So release dates of the annuals aren't going to really give you much of any help in placing an annual story with any accuracy within the main UK comics run, unless the comic story itself says 'Continued in this year's Transformers Annual' which only happened once or twice because, as Acteon said, essentially making people have to buy the annual to get the conclusion of a comic story pissed readers off.

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    List of Transformers UK comics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody have any idea why the list is incomplete? I was trying to match up the UK comics to their US counterparts ( and thus save memory space on my tablet by deleting the duplicate UK stuff* ), but there is little to no information beyond issue 179. Is there another complete list out there on an actual TF site?

*The reason I want to do this instead of just deleting the US stuff is that I want the files mixed so if I want to read just the US stuff, it's easily identified on my .cbr list. Right now, my list looks like this:

US #1
    US #2
    US #3
    US #4
    UK #13
    UK #14
    UK #15
    UK #16
    UK #17
    UK #18
    UK #19
    UK #20
    UK #21
    US #5
    US #6

I'd like to continue this, but the wiki page is incomplete. I have no idea which UK issues are reprints of any of the US stuff past issue #44.

16. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is that some of the UK issues reprinted US material, and new UK material simultaneously.
    I think you should read it all, and worry about the order later ;) 

EDIT: What Mcluskyism said ;)