Customs: UK equivalent of rubbing alcohol

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JazzMeister, Oct 23, 2007.

1. JazzMeister

JazzMeister Too school for cool

I know this might already be on the boards somewhere, but I'm a UK member and, over here, as far as I know, we don't have the same rubbing alcohol readily available that everyone suggests is best for removing paint.

Does anyone out there know what the UK equivalent might be?

Cheers!

2. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol, "iso", IPA... all mean the same thing.

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Very hard to find over here... I've still not found any. My fiance's dad works in an engineering firm and he got me some isopropyl alcohol but doesn't seem to work, so I wonder if it's a different chemical formula or summat.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't be. Isopropyl alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, there's no "other formulas". Different concentrations, on the other hand, is a distinct possibility. Or maybe you're just applying it to something that rubbing alcohol doesn't clean off properly (like paint on clear parts), or you're not being patient enough. It's not instant. Usually you soak the parts overnight and scrub the paint off later.

I'm surprised it's that hard to find. It's a regular household cleaner.

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Quick search for isopropyl alcohol uk indicates that it is indeed not easy to find. Try an electronics supply store, it's sold as a cleaning solvent there apparently.

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yeah that's the thing I got. 99.7% according to the can. Left part of classics Jetfire soaking in it for 24hrs, didn't shift a bit...

7. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    The paint on Classics Jetfire is notoriously hard to get rid of anyway,so it's not the alcohol that's the problem.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some of the paints indeed seem to be "harder" than other formulas. The standard paint on most action figures is apparantly acrylics made with an isopropyl alcohol medium (for near-instant drying in factories, natch) which is why it dissolves in the same stuff so easily. But some of the paints seem to be other types of acrylics, with mediums that are not so easy to replicate.