UK Customs

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Roanstalker, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about getting a really big parcel from Hong Kong (Brave Revival 05 Great Goldran) and I want to ask how often is it to get customs onto your case? I've had to pay customs once when I bought Cm's Great Raijinoh. Is it more often when the parcel is really big?

2. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Items with a high declared value will attract VAT and a handling fee, regardless of whether if it is a gift or not. I don't think parcel size enters into the equation, but I've noticed that smaller items tend not to attract charges as often, possibly because the sender can get away with declaring a lower value. That's my experience anyway.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No idea, but just wanted to say congrats on BR-05... you won't be disappointed!

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In my experience a parcel will attract a VAT + handling charge if it is over a certain value. The VAT isn't always enormous, my last parcel had £4 in VAT and £13 in Parcel Force handling charges (which they tried to add a further £12 because they failed to deliver on the Friday, Saturdays are extra in spite of the fact that it was THEIR FAULT my parcel didn't make it to me. I just waited until the Tuesday to get it since nobody was able to wait in for it on Monday. Ah well, was worth it after all that)

5. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    My Raijinoh costed £150 and they charged me another £50. I hope this wont be a repeat. I bought a Goldran recently and I love it and was thinking about getting it in HK in March when I go there but I just couldnt wait so I decided to get it online. Might buuy the rest in the original colours and stand them side by side :) . Without shipping it costs about 70 so I hope the customs wont be enormous if any.
    After they took my Raijinoh hostage I had to wait till monday to contact them since it arrived Friday and then till friday for them to actually deliver it.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I got charged almost £16 for the Victory Leo I won on eBay a few weeks ago; it's price was stated on the parcel as $80 or so.
    Interesting note here: According to the guy at the local post office, customs check roughly 1 in every 100 parcels for a price that would need charging.

7. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I'll just have to wait and see. They wontsend it till next Friday since their office is closed until then.