UK comics: issues 300 - 332?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Jaicen, May 2, 2012.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I've reached that dreaded moment when collecting grinds to a halt. I've got a complete uk run of the original comics, (though some are not as mint as id like),+ Action force crossovers and collected issues, but I'm missing 27 of the final 32 issues.
    Is it worth paying the big money for these issues on eBay, or is there a better way? Currently, they are around £6-8 each, some as high as £20 for the very late ones.
    Should I just give up on a complete collection? Do these issues turn up in auctions??

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Wow, I had no idea they were that rare. Maybe I should think about selling mine! I have the complete run from 1 - 332. Just done a few searches on eBay and anything 300+ is rare as hell...

There are a few odd issues dotted about but as you say, the prices are a bit on the high side. As most of the stories are re-prints anyway, you're not really missing out, unless it's the actual comics themselves rather than the stories you're after?

3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I'm beginning to think that I'll never get a complete run-

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, the later issues had a smaller print run, and so are more rare. Same thing happened with the US series, actually (and GI Joe, too).

I have the other collection: a complete run of Action Force, including the Transformers UK issues that Action Force appeared in after their own series ended. But I only have through issue #305 of Transformers, which was the last co-Action Force issue (if I'm remembering right... it's been a while since I've pulled them out).

On the other hand, £20 is bad, but still doable if you pace yourself and limit yourself to a few a year. It will take a while, but you'll get there. I had to go through that with the US GI Joe series... the last 15 issues or so were hard as fuck to find, and most of them ran $20-$40 each when I did find them. I think the final issue cost me about $60, which was considered a good price at the time; I saw it at some places going for $80-$110. I think I spent more getting those final 15 issues than I did the entire 140 issues before them.

Anyhow, good luck and be patient :wink: 

5. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can be patient, but i'm starting to think that they're never going to crop up at an affordable price. It's taken me over two years to pick up my collection so far, though I did secure two big lots which helped.
    I paid quite a lot of money to secure issues 1-60 on ebay, which in retrospect was a little more than they should have been, however they are in very nice read condition. After that I decided not to get carried away on big price items.
    Maybe i'll start wheedling out the ones I have that are not in great condition, that will occupy me for a while. I miss the hunt these days.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, really? Got a near-complete run from 305 to 332, when I got back into the comics in '91. Didn't realise there was that much demand, I thought more people would clamour for the earlier issues.

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do, but there aren't as many of the later issues in circulation, so demand is higher.

As it happens, I believe that the value of the early issues is beginning to diminish, at least on ebay.

We should have a comic selling sub-section, that might make things easier.

8. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've almost completed my 1 to 332 collection (only 2 more to go!!!).

You should try eBay My World - silver-acre

silber Acre helped me get 40 odd of the comics I was missing for 2.99 a comic (thankfully most of my missing ones were not after issue 270!). All where in great condition.

But yes, as others have pointed out the later you go in the series the last few are very expensive, you'll probably pay a good 5 pounds per comic. Strangely they are worth almost as much as the first 10...

9. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    IDW is slowly releasing the "UK Collection" so I would think those issues will eventually see a mass print in GN form.

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I have seen those listings, (trust me, I scour evilbay), however I was wondering if it's possible to find them for less, hence this thread. I've spent well over £350 so far, and another £150+ for the last issues... I think my missus would kill me!

11. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've being collecting these comics since I was 7, I'm not about to buy reprints now at 35 no matter the cost! Also I love things like, the Letters pages, the backup stories like Machine Man, Inhumaniods etc and then the king of all the nice things left out in IDW reprints, the orignals have Combat Colin!!!

I was lucky in that regards, i started collecting as a kid around issue 100, but missed a few here and there. When I was 12 a local corner store's son got rid of his collection of comics, about 60 random issues between 2 and 80, that cost me the grand total of 4 old Irish pounds (about 6 Euro today :)  ). I think Ive spent about £100 UK getting 42 out of the 44 comics I was missing until last month.

But I'm looking at 2 remaining issues and I'm expecting to pay £60 for them... But they will be mine!

I doubth you'd get much cheaper, your only option would be to go to comic shops directly. But the time and research you'd have to put into it would outweight what they cost on ebay. Take your time and probably buy 4 or 5 at a time tops and then absorb the cost of it over time... Maybe the missus will let you away with it then?

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with collected editions, generally speaking. They tend to be sturdier, are often printed on better archival paper stock, and they're easier to store. But in this case, I think the original comics are printed on nicer paper than the IDW reprints, and the IDW reprints shrink the page size. So I can definitely see wanting the original issues, even aside from the standpoint of someone being a collector of single-issues.

The Titan reprints are better, imo, keeping the larger page dimensions and being printed on better paper, but they kind of jump around and miss some issues.

Also, to the thread-starter: do you have the Annuals? A lot of it is kind of filler material, but they also had some good comic material. A couple of my favorite stories are from the later Annuals. Plus, I like the hardcover format.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The annual stories are some of my favourites too, plus they are referenced quite a bit in the weekly issues. I suppose back in the day most people who read the comic also had the annuals as well. Good times...

14. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I Frickin LOVE the annuals!
    Back in the day, I had three or four of them, and I read them again and again. Some of the text only stuff is great, and I love stuff like Altered/Image, which adds a new dimension to my comic collection. The way they tie into the on-going stories is really great.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

One of these days I am going to have to re-read the entire run of 332 issues from cover to cover, including all the back-up strips, letters pages, the LOT!

I've actually been and read all my annuals quite recently (within the last year or so) and I was surprised at how well they've held up. The artwork, dialogue and stories put a lot, if not most, of the modern stuff to shame. Geoff Senior is the fucking daddy.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah he is. After all these years, he is still my favorite TF comic artist by a wide margin. I wish he could have done everything. I would have liked to have seen him do more Action Force as well. His AF covers are nearly my favorite part of the entire UK Action Force series.

17. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

I got the originals from issue 16 to 305ish. I stoppped when the comic got to 6 pages-ish of new stuff and the rest was reprints of machine man which I had read originally!

Was nice to get the titan reprints later.

I do have issues 1-4 of the american comics, and found issue 80 of a 4 part series in a comic shop about 10 years ago for £1!

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The text stories in those annuals (especially State Games) still make for fantastic reading 25+ years later.

19. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do.

The one in the final annual, where Prime is looking out across Cybertron and being all moody is ace, and I think it will really tie into Regeneration from what i've heard of it so far. I also need to look out my Ladybird books, of which I have a near complete set. I remember they were really good stories, particuarly the one about Jazz taking part in a car rally..

20. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the complete 332 issue run. I'd definitely recommend completing it if you only need 27.

Yeah, some issues are pricey, but "nothing of worth is ever achieved easily".

And I don't think all post-#300 issues are that rare. I sold a number of doubles recently (from #302 - #319) and averaged £2-3 an issue.