Uhm, Final Crisis?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I just picked up the Final Crisis hardcover, and, uhm, what's going on?

The last chronological DC book I read was the Sinestro Corps Wars, but I guess I needed to read Countdown to understand what's going on?

The Apokolips characters are human?

Wikipedia didn't really help, can you anyone give me a quick filler or let me know what else is key to read?

Thx!

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The only man who might know the answer to that question is Grant Morrison and even that's doubtful.

Seriously, no-one has a clue.

3. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Countdown is a piece of crap. Ignore it.

In a nutshell, here's what happened in both:

• New Genesis and Apokolips were both destroyed.
    • Orion killed Darkseid.
    • The New Gods were systematically slaughtered but their souls survived by taking over a combination of human and genetically engineered bodies. Darkseid himself eventually took over the modified body of Dan Turpin.
    • Barry "Flash" Allen's body was reconstituted by as-yet-undetermined forces.
    • Darkseid unleashed the Anti-Life Equation on Earth and ended up enslaving most of humanity and the superhero community.
    • Batman fatally wounded Darkseid/Turpin by shooting him with the bullet that the latter had previously arranged to have Orion assassinated with.
    • Darkseid used his Omega Sanction on Batman. This pimped out version of the Omega Effect didn't just kill Batman, it sent his soul to be reborn over and over again throughout time, space, and the Multiverse. I believe the general idea was to crush and destroy his soul through reincarnation exhaustion.
    • Darkseid's attempt to take over the universe was essentially beginning to cause its destruction.
    • With the help of Brainiac 5, Superman used a 30th century reality-altering device called the Miracle Machine to fix everything in one shot.
    • The Monitors were all wiped out and reincarnated as humans.

I think that's what happened, anyways. Grant Morrison's stories are always a mess.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

That's probably the best explanation. Hell, Dan D had to use a powerpoint presentation at NYCC to explain everything

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The story was a nightmare. The mini series like Legion of 3 worlds and rogues revenge were the only ones worth reading in final crisis and legion isn't over yet.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Final Crisis is a good name for it. After this, I doubt DC will allow any more Crisis stories to be written. Oh and there were vampires for some reason.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should not have wasted your money on that POS hardcover.

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've heard reading Morrison's Seven Soldiers series will help explain what happened leading up to Final Crisis. But I never read it because FC sucked so much, I really don't care.

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

Yeah, I was lost with the vampires as well.

I loved Morrison's run on the JLA, but didn't like his X-men run. Oh well....

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm in the same boat as you. It appears that sometime around 1999, Morrison became crazier than a shithouse rat and lost the ability to tell coherent stories.

Maybe that was Y2K....

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I just started reading it too. I'm at issue 4, and I really don't think it's that bad so far. The only thing I'm confused about really is how Turpin met Darkseid at the Darkside Club in issue 1, but now he is turning into Darkseid.

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

No problem. :) 

Oh, a quick follow-up to stuff that's spun out of Final Crisis and what new characters have popped up...

• While Barry "Flash" Allen has returned, it's taken a turn for the worse since it's been revealed he's the new Black Flash and can cause super speedsters to crumble to dust and bones with a touch.
    • When Darkseid destroyed Earth's communication network to collapse, the supervillain known as the Tattooed Man was used as an information transmitter. He's now been made a member of the Justice League and is working towards redemption, something which is being complicated by his malfunctioning powers.
    • Braniac 5 used 31st century science to revive Superboy and Bart "Kid Flash" Allen.
    • Superboy-Prime will eventually become the Time Trapper.
    • There are currently three active Legions of Super-Heroes, each of which a different member of the Superman Family has belonged to: a version of the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Legion (Superman), the post-Zero Hour Legion (Superboy), and the "Threeboot" Legion (Supergirl). Which one of them is from the "real" future of New Earth is still up in the air.
    • A group of teenage Japanese superheroes with the rather unimaginative name of the "Super Young Team" and comprised of some (pretty awful) stereotypes played a major role in Final Crisis and now have their own miniseries.
    • The Human Flame, who was coaxed into murdering Martian Manhunter by Darkseid's agent Libra, is currently on the run from both the law and the superhero community and keeps digging himself into a deeper hole with each decision he makes.
    • There's apparently a counterpart to the Spectre known as the Radiant, God's Spirit of Mercy. Her alter ego is a nun by the name of Sister Clarice. Oddly enough, she's having as hard a time with her divinely-selected position as Crispus Allen is having with his: she doesn't feel particularly forgiving since she only became the Radiant after being viciously beaten and robbed and later dying of her injuries.

13. smkspy

Just finished Superman Beyond, Submit, and issue 4...Final Crisis really is an awesome read so far. Vampire Gods, Superman/Ultraman Composite, the Anti-life equation, and Turpin turning into Darkseid. Very sweet.

I still don't get Turpin and Darkseid's meeting in issue one.

14. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Turpin went to the Dark Side Club investigating the missing meta-children and was captured as he was chosen by Darkseid to be his new human vessel. I think that was in issue 1.

As for Final Crisis as a whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But then I seem to love Morrison's crazy antics, so whatever that says about me.

15. smkspy

I understood the details and story of the conversation, but I don't get how they could have it if Turpin is the host for Darkseid. I take it the Darkside (Darkseid) character that Turpin was talking to was just a temporary host for Darkseid until he captured Turpin, then?

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I read the hardcover as well. There was just too many things happening at the same time with no coherent transition from one group of characters to the next.

I enjoyed Countdown far more as it created interesting characters I had never even heard of before(I'm not deeply into comics), like Piper and Trickster.

17. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Ah yeah, sorry. The whole Boss Dark Side and others were just projections or something like that. Darkseid was using Turpin's body to be fully reborn, like Kalibak was as the Tiger-guy and so forth.

18. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    I believe the vampires are assumed to be mutated Monitors. The main one being the one Supe's fights in Superman Beyond 3-D and in the very last FC issue. This guy was supoosedly the real reason for the Crisis because he had influence over... something, Darkseid maybe? i wasnt really sure or too clear about this point. If someone could clear it up that would be cool.

Yea I think what was going on there is that each of the New Gods could use a body to be reborn in but they have to jump from body to body until they find one that works. Darkseid was in one that was deteriorating becuase it couldnt handle his power level or something to that effect. Therefore since Turpin was so strongof will his body could handle DS or some crazy loophole like that. But again it could have turned out by the end that Turpin couldn't handle and DS would have switched again anyway. It doesn't matter though cause Batman busted a cap in his ass.

Also to add to the spinoffs of FC
    Nightwing is now Bats.
    At least that's what I got from like one issues I was paging through.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I suppose I could look this up on the Wikipedia, but what happened to Wally West?
    I haven't really kept up with the main DC continuity in years, but I remember that after Barry died on the cosmic treadmill in the first Crisis that Wally went from Kid Flash to The Flash.

During the actual Crisis miniseries the characters realized this, but then in the main books the reality changed so Wally was always the Flash.
    How would they even know who Barry Allen was if reality had deleted his existence?

20. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, it didn't. Wally always knew he was Barry's sidekick, and that he replaced Barry when he died. The first 75 or so issues of Wally's book deal very heavily with Wally's feeling of not being good enough to fill Barry's boots.

The only big Flash reality change was that Jay was Flash before Barry, not Flash on another Earth.

(Also, Barry didn't die on the cosmic treadmill. He died destryong the Anti-Monitor's cannon.)