ugh... bothersome flies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikatron, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I just got done swatting down some bothersome flies. (6 to be exact) I live in SoCal and it's starting to get hot down here. I guess it's that time of year again where the flies start buzzing around in full force. They somehow find their way in even if you only open the door for a couple seconds. Anyone else here have problems with flies?

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Try getting glass or small tupperware container, fill it up with water, a bit of orange juice (or something sweet), and few dabs of dish soap, and anything else sweet smelling that will attract flies. The dish soap breaks the surface tension so the flies sink to the bottom and drown. Worked like a charm two years ago when I fought an armada of fruitflies of epic proportions.

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I had a house fly before. I left out a slice of chocolate cake covered in Elmer's glue. Yup.

I laughed for hours. Stupid animals.

4. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

Still have snow on the ground here in Wisconsin. On a nice warm late winter day, I found two at their happy moment. I killed them in their happiest of moment. At least there's 500 future flies I won't be worrying about anytime soon. Seeing flies out this early indicates a potential problem this upcoming season. Farmers are not going to like it at all, since high fly populations means stressed cows and lower milk production. I am prepared to handle them this year.

5. DWN013

DWN013 Holy crap in a pita!

"Liquid?"
    "No, this is your old buddy, McDonald Miller."
    :p 

6. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I hate flies. I hate em

I need to seal my sliding glass door so I can open it once in a while... I really need to make that trek to home depot and ask someone how to do it proper.

7. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Get a pet frog. Or some other insect-eating animal.

8. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You too? I live in Milwaukee and had a fly in the house the weekend before last, needless to say I was like WTF?. I have a problem with those damn Japanese beetles that look lady bugs.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Sweet! Gonna have to try that, once it gets warmer here.

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

This is one reason I love spiders.

11. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

That's a crazy awesome idea. I'm definitely going to try it the next time I have problems with flies. It sure beats having to chase them down with a fly swatter.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Our state bird alternates each year- it is either the gnat, mosquito or the fly. damn things are like everywhere, like in biblical proportions.

I once worked nights at a nursing home and several times during the summer, i could walk the halls and find little frogs that had slipped inside and were glued to the large glass windows for heat. also found several lizards that liked to hang around the exterior doors.
    the nurses and CNA's hated them, but i loved them- actually took several home and released them around my house. add a healthy (not terrifying) number of spiders in the trees near my back porch and i had decent bug control going.

and the soapy water trick works like a charm. my grandparents still do that each spring/summer.

13. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I thought it was appropriate to post in here ...

Well.. I guess when the summers are extra hot.. bugs like to soak up the heat to bigger proportions..

I know.. there are bigger ones out there.. but any size just creeps me out..

The other day I see a fly 3/4 the size of my thumb... today..

[​IMG]

this bugger was waiting for me on the wall for the stairs..

Man.. he's the meatiest one i've ever seen.. and the meaty ones are always freakier

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gotta share this with you...
    my dad is terrified- as in girly screams, walkes 2 blocks away and goes around terrified- of spiders.
    but he got it honestly.

He had just arrived in-country for his first tour of duty in good old Vietnam and while he was being issued gear, getting lectures on VC, VD and V-whatever, he was not sleeping well. so he found a barracks, put down on the floor and took a nap. Some ass put a tarantula on his chest and left it there. When he woke up, dad said all he saw was fur, fangs and legs. and he still swears that bad boy weighed more than a cinder block. eventually, since dad couldn't move, someone came over and kicked it off him.

since then, dad has nothing to do with em.

i even got a brutal spanking one halloween for putting a toy spider on his pillow.
    to be fair, i am that creeped out by cockroaches.