UFC - OH MY GOD!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severus, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Guys, I don't know if any of you are big fans of mixed martial arts, but I just saw one of the most incredible things I've ever seen accomplished by a human being in my life tonight on UFC 68. And I'm nearly speechless from the awesomeness of it.

Randy Couture, a 43 year old man, who everyone said was washed up, done, ruining his legacy by coming out of retirement, just dominated the now former Heavyweight Champion, Tim Sylvia, for 25 minutes.

Randy was giving up A FOOT of reach to Tim, and approximately 60 pounds - he was really better built to be a Light Heavyweight (205 lb. max), which he held the title for a while and defended twice.

I just watched this man duck and weave his way to WINNING the standup game with a man who has a foot of reach on him. A man who, honestly, could have knocked him out with one good punch. In fact, Randy originally fought Heavyweight and moved down to Light Heavyweight because he couldn't handle the hits from the big Heavyweights.

Holy crap.

He took him down at will, and totally outwrestled Tim Sylvia. He made it look easy, which Abu Dhabi submission champ Jeff Monson, who's built like a bodybuilder and towed cars around a parking lot solo in preparation for his title shot couldn't do.

But consistently winning the standup for 5 rounds? UNREAL!

I've never felt this way about a sporting event. I highly recommend ordering the Pay Per View for UFC 68 for one of its encores. Best $40 I've ever spent.

2. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

I heard someone say today that Sylvia was handed his hat in the ring. I didn't know by who. I am not real big into ufc, but i am sorry i missed the match after your discription

3. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Yeah, Randy is going to completely screw with everyone's heavy weight rankings. You can't call that shit a fluke. He devastated Tim Sylvia every which way.

4. Severus

Man, I was thinking what Joe Rogan said - I was just hoping that Randy didn't get hurt really bad in this fight. Heh, the Sherdog forums are down from all the traffic. I don't know what to think now with regard to his fight with Cro Cop that has to be in the works now.

But knocking him on his butt with the first punch? Wow! From what I understand, Cro Cop's had some problems with grapplers in the past. We could see some crazy stuff. I can't dismiss anything of Randy now.

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Well you know, and I quote. " I can in with an injury and I guess it was worst than I thought". Sylvia got a beautiful round of boos for that one.

Sylvia is a boring fighter and Im glad he was finally thrown off his high horse.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

6. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

My dad saw the fight but I missed it. He said it kicked ass.

7. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

So far what i've heard is that the Randy fight was the only good one of the night.

8. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Yeah, I just watched it. Sylvia looked like he has been spending too much time at Denny's. Couture was on his game, came out with a ton of energy and managed to sustain enough of it to win the fight. Definitely impressive.

9. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

The first fight was pretty good, barbalo or whatever the hell his name was, his face soaked up some pretty devastating punches. Funny indeed!

10. Severus

Hughes was kinda boring - Lytle kept him from finishing the fight making it an easy decision victory.

Babalu's fight was interesting - I expected him to win, but he did what he did against Liddell - get fired up and charge in to get clocked.

Franklin's fight was exciting, and he looked good, but it wasn't much to write home about because I was expecting the result.

I liked the Kampmann / McFedries fight. Kampmann's looked good every time I've seen him, and I liked how he was able to switch his strategy mid-fight when it wasn't working.

I wish they had broadcast the Fitch fight, but oh well. I wouldn't say the main event was the only one worth watching, exactly, but the other results were predictable except for Babalu's fight. His and Couture's were the only ones I was surprised by.

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

You could tell the title match was over at Randy delivered that first punch. After that Sylvia never looked like he was confident on his feet. That was an absolutely devastating first punch.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm not a fan of UFC, and I will admit that I've never watched a full match.

But can we at least admit that there are humans who have done more impressive things than win a match after they're old and washed up?

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Every time I see the acronym UFC, I think of KFC and how amusing if the two franchises were combined into the UKFCFC, the Ultimate Kentucky Fried Chicken Fighting Championship, where contestants must battle each other using only items found on the KFC menu.

Yeah, I'd watch that.

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    We can say that for anything. The Colts won the Superbowl, but big deal, it's not like they were the pioneers of quantum physics. Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man who revolutionized the way scientists think about black holes. Well who fuckin cares, he didn't cure cancer!

To put things in that perspective makes it sound like we can't enjoy anything, and I gotta admit, it makes you come off like an elitist. You're not a fan, fine, but don't try and rain on the parade of people who are fans.

15. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Somehow the idea of people getting buckets of fried chicken broken over their heads and being pelted with buttermilk biscuits really amuses me.

Ok, now I am hungry...

As for UFC, I would like to catch that at some point, live if possible.

16. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

You might be able to get WWE to try that.

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man I want to see this fight! Thx for the info.

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oh man.. I tried for 10 minutes looking for that entrance pic of Jason Mayhem Miller with a KFC bucket on his head holding sparklers..

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    does the UFC play fight music during fights?

DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA

20. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

:lol  They have intro music, but its all business with no music in the ring, I dont know if street fighter 2 music would work.