UFC: 2007 The year of WTF? OMG!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funkatron101, Apr 22, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Expect the unexpected. 2007 has become the year of upsets. All of the heavily favored fighters are losing, and losing badly. Sylvia, GSP, and now Cro Cop.

2. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

and crocop lost BADLY! that was an amazing kick.

3. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

decapitation..... i saw his mind seperate from his body lol.

4. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It wasn't that it was an amazing kick, he just didn't expect it to go that high. His mistake. I simply can't believe that he walked away from that fall. Holy shit was that grotesque looking.

It is the year of the upsets. Next might be Liddell, you never know.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

are there clips of this on youtube or anything, or do you just have to have cable and catch it when it airs?

6. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

[​IMG]

Here's a little picture thing of it.

It was quite brutal. Crocop fell back right onto his ankle. If he weren't dead limp from being knocked so utterly out it probably would have broken it.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was a pretty average night til that kick. I had to rewind it and watch it a few more times.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Yeah that fight made me worried about Randy facing him.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Ugh... That twisted foot made me sick to my stomach.

It's been an amazing year so far. Bookies must be second guessing whether or not to have betting on UFC events.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

the thing i notice is that when Pride fighters go to UFC, they lose. And when UFC fighters go to Pride, they lose.

My guess is that Rampage is gonna lose to the Iceman this time around.

As for the Sylvia fight, i was betting that he was gonna lose but not get his butt handed to him.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I havent watched much UFC this year, but I always watch Chuck or Tank fight when they do.

12. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

I was so disappointed at that fight, he is one of my favorite fighters. i don't know what was up with cro cop during that fight, it like if he was paid to lose or something, he didn't even throw one punch during the whole fight. This isn't the same cro cop who was throwing perfect counter punches at every turn when dishing on Wanderlei.....

13. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_HD4WKJw

I'd agree with the announcers, it looks like he could have a serious knee injury from that fall.

14. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

This fight has a lot in common with the Silvia/Couture fight and the St. Pierre/Serra fight. The face of Mixed Martial Arts is changing again, and I think we're going to see more of this, especially considering fighting is 50% a mental game, and now the upstarts are seeing that the impossible is possible.

In the beginning, you had representatives of styles. Later on, when things developed, you had people who were insanely good at one aspect and good enough not to lose in the others. Hughes and Liddell would be the extreme examples of this. That worked for a long time, but now we're starting to see fighters who are well-rounded, able to be a threat on multiple vectors.

Couture was able to get the better of Silvia striking because Silvia had to be worried about the takedown. Couture and Silva both talked about this in the interviews - he was faking the takedown to keep Silvia off balance (and not kick his head off when he did that crazy ducking).

St. Pierre was expacting a BJJ match, and Serra came out swinging, and surprised St. Pierre with it, who didn't react the way he might have otherwise, because he was worried it was a ploy for the takedown.

And now CroCop misread Gonzaga's kick. You can see he went to block it as if it were a body kick. I suspect that Gonzaga's reputation as a BJJ guy influenced that reaction. He just didn't think Gonzaga would be able to deliver a good head kick, so he knew it had to be a body shot.

Bottom line - if you want to be successful at the highest levels nowadays you have to be a total package, and you have to have a gameplan. It's not easy; Hughes tried to get a standup game and has failed so far. But times are changing again, I think.

I love the complexity in this sport. :) 

15. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I don't watch much UFC or MMA in general, but man, I did catch that match. That was.... disgusting. I mean, the way his knee and ankle were totally bent in ways that a knee and ankle are not supposed to bend... ugh.

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    That is a good breakdown of how the sport is changing.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

aren't they gonna show the encore of UFC 70 (think thats the number) on SpikeTV...

18. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

You left out Gomi getting his ass handed to him by Diaz, and Hearing getting whooped by a can. I left the Sherdog forums long ago from all the morons and Pride Nuthuggers there. I hope the Pride nuthuggers cry themselves to sleep every night.

19. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow. Absolutely. You really mirrored my thoughts on the new face of MMA. It's funny because UFC used to have such a reputation as being a glorified Toughman contest but it's so much more. Guys like Tank Abbot would never make it in todays UFC (as can be seen in any of his recent fights). There is so much technique and gamesmanship in the sport now. I think that's one reason why I really love it.

As for the Cro Cop fight, damn. I kind of agreed with Randy before the fight that it might be an upset in the making but I didn't for a minute think that Cro Cop would have gotten knocked the 'F' out with a head kick. Obviously it didn't occur to Cro Cop either.

I'm also happy to hear that Matt Sera and Matt Hughes will be the coaches for TUF 6. That should be pretty explosive.

I'm really glad with where the UFC is headed. I think if they could just be a little more mainstream they could garner a lot more attention. Something like a Saturday night special on NBC or something like that would probably turn a lot of people into UFC fans. I know a bunch of people that have never even watched Spike TV. I also think they need to change up the way they are listing their PPV's. I think they need to get rid of the numbering scheme in lieu of something different.

20. funkatron101

Ebay:
    What I don't like is the fact that two healthy fighters are holding up the division 7 months. The timing of TUF 6 really throws a wrench into things. GSP is now a year out from getting another rematch, and other fighters have to wait even longer.