Uber-nerd question about Cybertron modes

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Being a stickler for details, and apparently too nerdy for my own good, this is something I have often wondered about:

Why do TF in their Cybertron (War Within) alt modes have things like cockpits, windshields, etc? Wouldn't that imply that their original designs were also used as disguise, and if so, disguised from what or who? Smaller Cybertronians who didn't transform that once utilized the vehicle modes before they turned into huge TF's?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that TF having alt modes on Cybertron is uselss since I like to believe each alt mode exists for a reason, whether it's for faster transport, spying, battle advantage, whatever. I just don't know why cockpits or quasi windshields would have been implemented into the designs since, as far as we know, no one ever actually drove them. They definitely add a nice aesthetic & detail to the designs themselves... but in the fandom's opinion, are they practical?

Thanks for humouring me.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not practical in any way that I can see, I suspect they exist due to the whims of the Plot Device Gods so that any human-sized character will be able to dive into any given Transformer's alt mode and catch a ride. :D 

A less depressing idea would be that given how Mini-cons are such a fixture and even retcon-able into G1, larger Transformers' altmodes were structured to allow for smaller robot piloting/transport/constructive-interaction.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dreamwave were actually working towards explaining this before they went kaput. Weird secret time-transcending connection to Earth, or something.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While I prefer the more Beast Machines Vehicon designs that gave facial features (and therefore, sensory devices) to the alt-modes, I accept cockpit-windshield-etc. designs as being the location for external sensors. Optics would still have to be shielded, but in order to give them the widest possible visual field, protruding them and then mounting them behind ballistic glass (or crystal armor or whatever) and giving them range of motion (on servos, or again, whatever)--just like a driver/pilot would have--makes sense to me.

Chris' answer is the canon one, though. I just stubbornly refuse to accept it.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It was all for desguise. Autobots invented the art too jide from Decepticons, who latter learned how to TF as well.

6. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

I like the idea that TFs has a utilitarian existance before they developed sentience, and thus were originally designed with organic users in mind.

I would speculate that transformers develop and choose new forms that carry on the traditions of their old forms, for the same reason that most of us wouldn't want blue skin, even if it had some advantages. TFs see windshields and such as normal parts of a TF body.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think you missed the entire point of the actual question. I'm not wondering why they transform since that's already obvious. I'm wondering why any of the alt modes have cockpits & driver's seats when, while on Cybertron, they don't have to adhere to the rules of having disguises that appear to accomodate Human sized occupants.

I think I'm just going to go with my own theory that the original Cybertronians were close to Human size (but still larger overall), and what eventually got turned into Transformers were once the vehicles that they built & used. Maybe they transferred their sparks to these new forms once it was obvious war was breaking out... or something.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Split Lip...I think it was for disguise. That way, a smaller TF or individual (minicon or otherwise) could pilot the larger TF and lead the Decepticons, or anyone else for that matter, to believe that the larger TF was just a simple non-TF vehicle. I can't think of any other reason to have cockpits, windshields, and alternate controls in a machine that can, presumably, control itself without those accomodations.

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

If you assume that the Quintissons at some point either A: Created Transformers, or B: Invaded Cybertron, took over and redirected the pre-existing manufacturing process of Transformers(I like this one, personally), you can also assume that they (the Quintissons) built Transformers that they could sell to other species of aliens that could operate the bots as Mechs. This could also explain the existance of Transformers on planets other than Cybertron. The primary example I think of is that e-hobby re-colour of Blitzwing, that was supposed to be like a production run for sale to off worlders. It even came with Quintisson faction stickers.

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    According to the cartoon, they were originally servent (Autobot) and warrior (Decepticon) slaves manufactured by the Quintessons and sold to other aliens. They were designed to carry thier masters.

According to the Marvel comic, they were created fully-formed by Primus, with the ability to transform to counter Unicron. Although that really doesn't seem to be a big advantage when none of them can transform into something that might hold its own against a planet-sized mouth that specifically eats robotic civilizations, to say nothing of why they have cockpits.

EDIT: Two posts while I was typing. I am slow and a failure.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I think the DW explanation is best, that they had cockpits in them for a purpose that Primus knew was coming in the future-- y'know, when they came to Earth and all.

12. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

I always liked the original cartoon explainations, that the Quintessons originally created the cybertronians as servants/products to sell to other worlds. (The Autobots being consumer goods, and the Decepticons being military goods).

Any misticism, gods, or grand destiny tied to earth never jived to me with the sci-fi nature of TFs. I much prefer a more logical explaination.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Meh, the only reason I don't dig the Quintesson explanation/theory is because I try to pretend the Quintessons never existed in the TF canon. Their characters made no sense, and the timing of their appearence into TF lore made even less sense no matter how hard they tried to write them in properly.

If I am to accept them as legit characters, I'd prefer to beleive that they're just another alien race that happens to want control over Cybertron and/or the Transformers themselves. Or they built Unicron. Whatever. But tying them into the TF's creation history is pretty weak imo.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would prefer if that Primus was somehow responsible in creating the Quints to supervise the TFs. The Quints were transorganic or some appeared entirely metallic, would tie-in with Beast Machines about the organics being part of Cyberton - if I remembered correctly.

However the Quints twisted Primus' version and started trading in TFs...

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

*Primus/Unicron enter the physical realm as asteroids
    *Primus/Unicron begin to reform themslves into planets.
    *Primus gives life to cybertronians
    *Quintessons find Cybertron and quickly enslave and control production of the transformers.
    *Unicron influences Primacron to help accelerate his 'development' because quintessons are developing Cybertron.
    *Transformers expel Quints... TF wars break out.

So transformers have cockpits because at a very early stage of evolution, they were forced into a utilitation servitude for smaller humanoids and it is the core of their species now.

And pulling beings of pure energy into physical bodies isn't very mystical to me. The 'mystic' part is all determined by the teller of the story... What the keeper of primus told as two 'gods' on an astral plane could easily been two scientific alien forces on another plane of existance.

Ret-con-riffic!

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Presumably the Quints (or other Early cybertronian inhabitants) had vehicles to traverse large distances, which had cockpits/windows/canopys. Going on the basis that Transformation was developed to hide from and/or confuse the enemy, turning into leftover Quint vehicles that were previously assumed inert without a driver makes at least a little sense.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I kind of like the idea that perhaps they were always intended to be headmasters, with the small robot piloting the larger shell. Perhaps over time, the Headmaster idea vanished, but the cockpits remained.