U.S. Retail Drought. What have you been collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, May 26, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So as you know, us American's have had a Transfomers drought lately. I picked up a few peices about a month and a half ago from ROTF and Universe that interested me and eluded me and that was it as far as retail goes. Because I need my plastic crack addiction, I've decided to pick up a line that I wasn't around for. I dove head first into Beast Wars Neo and I am loving it. Big Convoy, Longrack, and Break are soo friggin' sweet. I'm so glad I picked these guys up.

It's funny though, because I probably wouldn't have been picking up these figures if not for the retail drought. Just wondering if anyone is taking a collecting break at the moment or if there are any lines out there you've been concentrating on til we get some retail goodness. And if you've gone back to a past line are you happier to have any of those toys more so than if you'd have picked up a Seaspray or leader Starscream?

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Haven't bought anything in the last month. My last TF was in April, and my last non-TF was a bunch of McFarlane Halo figures in March. Its all good though, plenty of time to save for the waves of new stuff coming out soon.

3. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

collecting? dollars, to pick up the crossfire set and protector :cool: 

4. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I've been whittling down my backlog of unopened TFs (mostly reissues the last few months).

I guess I did start buying MOTUCs... but started with that last winter when they started having 2 figures to order at once.

5. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Too much!

several customs (Pounce/Wingspan, Insecticons, Devastator, Jazz, Brawn, Menasor, and a few others)
    bts trailer
    gears of war 2
    Uni hardhead in anticipation of the hothead add-on
    classics accessory pack BT-02
    2010 Unicron
    henkei rodimus
    Battle Begins Prime
    Quint 01
    Telemocha Tigatron, Waspinator, Cheetor
    Metals Megatron
    PP01
    WST Trailer
    Botcon Tigatron and Club Airazor
    P/CP
    Encore 19
    Defender
    KMC
    Buster Prime

basically updating my BW and fleshing out my 'classics' line to fit my tastes.

I feel a little better that I'm selling a lot to fund some of that, but jeepers, I need to cut back:) 

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I took the funds I would've used on new retail stuff and used them to buy a couple of things online that are more $ than I typically spend on a toy.

I'm also doing that because looking ahead; other than MP Grimlock, Thrust, and WFC Soundwave, I don't think I want anything on Hasbro's 2010 lineup (the stuff we know is on the lineup).

..and I'm growing more and more interested in the RiD line, so there's probably a few car robots in my collection's future (Scourge is en route).

7. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Yep. -_-

The drought led me to buy ROTF Jolt.
    I didn't like his behind the head blockage, so I cut that off.
    THEN I decided he wasn't accurate enough, so I repainted him.
    THEN I realised he was really short and chnky, so now I can't take him seriously.
    I hate him now, but I've modded him and repainted him, so I can't get rid of him.... =(

And

The drought also led me to Voyager ROTF Megatron, who was the best megs yet.
    I repainted him silver, but let some of his green shine though(because I like the algea idea).
    NOW I've realised why I got rid of all my old TFs, and the Megatrons and Primes were so easy to part with: I'm burnt out on charectores who are so...iconic and closed minded that hey bacome sterotypes.
    I wish I could get rid of Megs now, but I've already repainted him... =(

However, the drought also led me to the bike sisters,Fracture, BC Elita 1 who came with Razorclaw, Movie 1 Deluxe Arcee,and Black Arcee (My very favorite) who I love to death, because they weren't given much screen time, so they can be my own charectors. ^.^

Also more recently: Rotf Dead End and Strike Mission Sideswipe(Who is in Sideways colors), who I repainted into Black Arcees colors for my own 'story'/cannon.)

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

That sounds pretty cool. Any pictures?

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Bought some repaints and a few Human Alliances.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The drought hasn't meant too much to me, cos even when ROTF was on the shelves, I was spending more time playing internet-catchup with Universe and Botcon stuff. Plus, I was glad to be -saving- money for when the drought ends. But, I did order a CR Black Convoy and a Target The Fallen from toyarena this week, should be here Friday.

11. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've bought 2 360 games, but really I've been on a book spree. I've bought several series and have started collecting One Piece mangas as well as Naruto and Fairy Tail.

Also this has given me an opportunity to put money away for my new desktop. $1500 and I'll have a beast that will replace my 10 yr old system. I'm at $500 now.

I will say this, though, the drought has been incredibly annoying. Transformers are a big stress reliever for me and these months have been pretty high on stress. I'm looking forward to new toys on the shelves. PCC looks frikken amazing and Generations just blows me away. Patience is a virtue, but it does annoy.

12. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

The last TF I got was a Star Wars Crossover a few days ago, but before that I've been doing repaints of some ROTF scouts. Other than those I've bought DIA Commander Set, Knight Morpher Commander, and Chevy Aveo Swerve within the last few months. I figured I'd balance the drought by buying expensive things! :D 

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I have not bought much, I found one of those varient Arcees with the matte finish, and I also bought 3 legends from ROTF, SKids, Mudflap and Megatron that I had not purchased before.

I'm still looking for HA Mudflap like everyone else. I'm also saving for going to Botcon in a few weeks.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    vintage TFs and a fewROTF ones I had passed on for others or were late to show up here.

15. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    Aveo Swerve
    Knight Morpher
    Warbot Defender
    Faith Leader
    City Commander
    Beast Wars Neo Heinlad
    WST Skywarp
    G2 Laser Rods

I think that is it.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Macross and catching up on Takara/3rd Party TFs.

17. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    2 Iron Man figures and a Gundam.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I bought ROTF Brawn about a week ago. I also got Recon Ironhide in February thanks to a hunter friend of mine, but it was essentially for the guns. I also bought up some Pretender bots on the cheap off eBay for some future custom projects. That's pretty much it. I've spent more time selling and customizing than anything.

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Some G1, and catching up on Henkei have kept me busy. Also found a way to pre-order a bunch of stuff that I don't need from BBTS. Since I am not really interested in much out of the PCC and HFD lines (and may skip the WFC stuff), I decided a couple days ago to focus on saving and completing my Masterpiece Collection. Should have thought of this a few months ago, I may already have had money for the King Grimlock deco.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty much exactly what I did. Bruticus is on the way and Ultra Magnus stands on my shelf beside Faith Leader.

Plus, I finally found an HA Barricade.