U.F.O. (Unknown Factory Originals) - Optimus Prime Hands, Hooks, Shield, Shotgun

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Squall42080, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Did a couple of searches, and couldn't turn up anything on these...although I know they've been discussed before. I always wanted better pics, so hopefully this helps some of you out.

I ordered a few parts from U.F.O. (Unknown Factory Originals) via RobotKingdom.com including the replacement Revenge of the Fallen Leader Class Optimus Prime hands and battle hooks, along with Megatron's Shotgun and Optimus Prime's shield from Dark of the Moon.

The first thing I installed was the replacement hands. I had initially hoped that they could be used with Buster Optimus Prime, as that is the definitive transformable movie Prime in my collection, but since that mold is slavishly covered in silver paint, these hands looked a bit awkward. I then resigned myself to using them with the original Hasbro Prime, as that is more for play than Buster Prime anyway. Installation is simple...remove three screws from the back of the forearm, and swap the hands in for the old ones. Replace the arm panel and screws. This is the end result:

[​IMG]

The fingers are individually poseable, and have joints similar to the human hand. This allows for some excellent movie-accurate poses such as:

"For today, in the name of freedom, we take the battle to them!"
    [​IMG]

"The code on these glasses indicate the Allpsark is 230 miles from here."
    [​IMG]

The biggest complaint I have is the color-matching. I don't own the Striker Optimus Prime mold...but maybe these match that mold better? The quality is great. I've been messing with them and the other accessories for several hours, and it really does feel like something that completes the mold.

I call this one the Calvin Klein:
    [​IMG]

Come at me bro'!
    [​IMG]

To unleash the hidden knuckle-busters, you simply separate the panels forming the back of the hand. This allows you to rotate out the spiked knuckles, and replace the panels for a seamless look and feature he used in Dark of the Moon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also transform him with the new hands. Similar to Masterpiece Rodimus, you just open the hands, and fold the palms flat against the wrist while wrapping the fingers around the wrist/forearm:
    [​IMG]

I know there was a fair bit of controversy surrounding these hands and whether the design was taken from another TFW2005.com member's Shapeways library. I know there is some difference between the mold, so they are not direct copies, but I am glad a company finally produced these with a decent type of plastic.

Shapeways is great for customizers, and those that don't mind painting, but I wanted something that looked like it came from the factory...and this serves that purpose very well. The plastic is very similar in feel to the plastic used on Prime, and definitely not what I expected. I did expect something closer to the feeling of a knock-off product.

As mentioned earlier, I also opted for the battle hooks. I believe these are knock-offs of some exclusive hooks that were only available in Japan (and the aftermarket for an obscene price), and they are well worth the money. I am so glad I did not opt for the originals.

They look and feel great, and the new hands can hold them perfectly!

[​IMG]

I might have to go back and get the blades too...just to complete the Dark of the Moon weapon set. I know the way these are held are more accurate to that movie as opposed to them coming out of his wrist like Revenge of the Fallen. Again, totally worth it. I love the transparent plastic used...it's strong and sturdy, and doesn't feel like it's prone to breakage.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick look at the Dark of the Moon shield and Megatron's shotgun:

[​IMG]

These two are also great representations...made with decent plastic. These two in particular are covered in paint applications. The shield is all silver and red paint on the front (black plastic on the back)...so it will definitely match Buster Prime a bit better.

The Megatron shotgun was designed for this mold (and again was involved in some controversy), and is definitely too big for the Dark of the Moon Megatron mold. It has a cocking feature allowing the bearer to move the barrels further out of the main chamber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, and wouldn't hesitate to buy their products in the future. I did have a bit of buyer's remorse originally. Spending $50 (or whatever it was shipped) on accessories can suck, but now that they are here, I can testify to them being worth every penny!

2. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man i really want the hands but it sucks that theyre not sold separately from the smokestacks on robot kingdom :( 

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    That's a shame about the hands color, it doesn't appear to match any of the factory colors

They do look good though

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I got their shield and axe (ordered hands from fakebusker). They're awesome, especially the shield! He looks amazing holding the shield in one hand and the axe over his head with the other. I bought the translucent orange axe and plan to paint it sometime to look more like it does in the movie...

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He stole them off Pharma. :D 

6. Megatron31

Ebay:
    ^ lmao

7. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    These upgrade hands really do make a difference on an already awesome toy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also come in different colors to go with Buster & Striker Prime!

If you want these BAD ASS upgrades you can get them at Aces Toy Store!

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. I'm definitely going to get a set of the silver ones for my Buster Prime.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Aces Toy Store = daelite20?

10. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

That is correct sir.

11. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got my set of silver hands yesterday. They're a little less shiny and cooler than the silver paint on Buster Prime, but still freaking awesome. He can't hold the buster weapon anymore, but I'll soon remedy that with the Cubex set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey process, wwhy can't the hands hold the buster gun?

13. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The buster gun handle is recessed into the gas tank, and the UFO hands are too wide to fit. You can just barely wedge the left hand in, due to the asymmetrical gun, but it pops off very easily.

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do you have Striker Prime? Wondering if the guns/shield/swords can be held well.

15. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't, sorry.

16. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i need these!

where did you find the silver ones?

17. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    ^ Ha! That's where I got mine. They came in yesterday and I was a little surprised that there's no packaging. Just packed in a tiny ziplock bag. I'm really please with the quality, paint, and articulation of the hands.

Can't wait to put them on my Striker Prime.

19. Megatron31

Ebay:
    ordered, much obliged process!

20. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Hope this helps. I bought two sets of hands, one for the original Buster Prime that was packaged with Jetfire and the other set for the new Striker Prime:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slot in the hand allows him to hold all sorts of weapons. I was actually disappointed I couldn't use the Gears of War set with him anymore, but then that was solved by pre-ordering the new Cubex sets.