Two Years Since Endgame, Part II

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chopperface, May 23, 2011.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Today is the two year anniversary of the end of Animated. The end of my favorite Transformers series besides Beast Wars and Prime - a fun, brief, and entertaining incarnation of our robots in disguise.

I guess, well, post what you want, but maybe your favorite character, episode, scene, battle, etc etc?

Favorite Autobot - Bulkhead
    Favorite Decepticon - Megatron
    Favorite Episode - Decepticon Air
    Favorite Scene - Blitzwing: "Ze jet! TANK! Jet. TANK!"

Yes, I have no life - hence why I did the anniversary thread last year. Though I admit, it seems a bit more resonating with a one year, or a five year, 10 year, something like that. Aw well.

RIP Animated. December 26, 2007 - May 23, 2009.

2. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Favorite Autobot - Bumblebee. He was a perfect justification for the character Archetype.
    Favorite Decepticon - Lockdown. Me and my dad love him.
    Favorite Episode - Three's a Crowd
    Favorite Scene - The Elite Guard's arrival.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I liked about Animated was just the overall story. I really thought they took all the previous continuities and made it into a coherent story. I wish we could have seen that story done with classic g1-styled designs. Overall, just a great story and it was really sad it was cut so short. Hopefully Shout Factory will release the full series at some point if they can get the rights worked out
    Favortie Character: Lockdown
    that's about it, I was more a fan of the story then the characters, as I said

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Favorite Autobot - Prowl
    Favorite Decepticon - Soundwave
    Favorite Episode - Too many to list
    Favorite Scene - Too many to list

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Favourite Autobot is Prime, favourite Decepticon is Swindle, favourit Episode is either Transwarped or Decepticon Air, favourite scene is Optimus coming across Sentinel's decapitated head and busting out laughing. Second favourite scene is the opening to Transwarped.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Favorite Autobot - WRECK-GAR
    Favorite Decepticon - Lugnut, Swindle close behind
    Favorite Episode - Garbage In, Garbage Out
    Favorite Scene - Starscream Death Montage

Another thing that impressed me about the series: even though it was funny and light-hearted, it actually depicted the Decepticons as a credible threat, especially early on. It was established that the Decepticons had lost long ago and most modern Autobots had never actually seen one, and it was intimidating when they did.

The episode where the Autobots have to take on Blitzwing and Lugnut, after we had previously seen them going up against jokey humans and whatnot, made it apparent that 5 Autobots are no match for 2 Decepticons, unlike most series where the Decepticons are either evenly matched with the Autobots or are terrible comic relief (Armada in the beginning).

Then there was the episode where Starscream one-shots Ultra Magnus. Now, let that sink in a bit. Ultra Magnus is THE strongest Autobot in the series (besides Omega Supreme). Starscream is a guy that is (very easily) thwarted by Megatron (multiple times), and yet he temporarily disables the strongest Autobot in a single shot. So, (it appears that) Megatron is many times stronger than any given Autobot. This is a Megatron that will mess your shit up.
    (please note, I don't want to debate about how the Autobots were using restrictions on their own weapons or whatever. It was an impressive scene taken at face value)

7. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Favorite Autobot - Blurr
    Favorite Decepticon - Swindle/Starscream['s Clones]
    Favorite Episode - Decepticon Air/Endgame
    Favorite Scene - Megatron's answer to Starscream's betrayal, and the multiple repetitions.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Favorite 'bot: Prowl (tho I kinda liked 'em all to varying degrees)
    Favorite 'con: Blitzwing
    Favorite non-affiliated 'bad guy': Lockdown
    Favorite human: Fanzone
    Favorite episode: This Is Why I Hate Machines, followed by Nature Calls.
    Favorite scene: I honestly don't know, there were so many great ones, tho my favorite shot is from Three's a Crowd when captured Lugnut has fallen backward onto Ratchet, angled up so that we can see the other 'bots far up and away on the edge of the hole.

--Moony

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I remember reading the pre-launch publicity materials/packets and combined with the stills we'd seen, and figured this show was going to give Armada a run for crappyness. To say it had a steep road to win me over would've been drastically understating it.

Yet the series won me over by episode 4, Thrill of the Hunt and by the end scene of Megatron Rising, Part 1, it was my second favorite TF show ever. By the end, it was my favorite part of the franchise. The comics, the cartoon, and the toys overall were my favorite entry into the entire history of Transformers. I even wrote a lengthy essay in the now defunct Animated forum on why I felt that way.

As all great things, it ended too soon, but at least it did get an ending that we could find some closure in. It's kind of funny how it may have ended two years ago, but we're still getting entries from the toyline, granted nowadays it's all foreign and Botcon related, but still.

Anyway, enough blathering, to answer the question:

Favorite 'bot: Ratchet. The show was about him.
    Favorite 'con: Megatron. Best. Megatron. Ever.
    Best Episode: Thrill of the Hunt
    Favorite Scene: Megatron getting his Earth mode body and bursting out of the top of Sumdac Tower while Starscream and the Autobots look on in horror.

Animated won me over faster then any other TF series.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Favorite Autobot - Grimlock (David Kaye plus Trex equals like from me)
    Favorite Decepticon - Blitzwing (He makes Inferno and Tarantulas look normal)
    Favorite Predacon - Waspinator (He's always a Predacon to me)
    Favorite Episode - Predacons Rising (I got to see another childhood favorite return to tv, I like those rare moments)
    Favorite Scene - After crushing the Autobots in his return, Megatron calls to his followers to prepare to take out one that gave him his 50 year MIA status. As his canon aims for Prime, his left hand stabs Starscream with the key and takes him offline to the shock of the other cons around him. Then not long after he shouts ""Decepticons! Transform and rise up!"

Animated is the only reason why I'm still into new Transformers. Not long after RID, I enter my Transformer dark ages. Between A/E/C and the near Maximal/Predacon/Vehicon MIA status, I really didnt have anything to care for outside of some new beast Transformers. Animated gave me new hope that one day I could see characters I grew up with return in some shape on tv. Animated is the only series to me that could even be a equal to Beast Wars. I loved everything about it and wished it could had went on longer.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Favorite Autobot - Prowl
    Favorite Decepticon - Megatron
    Favorite Episode - Five Servos of Doom
    Favorite Scene - "I AM OMEGA SUPREME!"

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Gone, but not forgotten. Animated's influence lives on in Prime!

I can't pick favourites, but some of the great things that Animated brought us were:

-Original and awesome takes on classic characters.
    -A young and inexperienced Optimus reminscent of Primal, the most 'flawed' Prime we've ever had I think. I remember some of the early comments about the show being like "Optimus Prime: Year One" because of him.
    -A daring fusion of Elita-1 and Blackarachnia's characters into one, giving her a tragic backstory based off the classic G1 idea of Prime leaving Elita-One behind.
    -Some dark and mature stories and themes disguised by a cartoony and kiddy animation style.
    -Cameos of TFs characters from different past continuities.
    -A simultaneously hilarious and thoughtful take on Sentinel Prime. His rivalry with Optimus was one of the most interesting relationships in the show.
    -A human transformer in the form of Sari! To this day, we are still theorising about her origins and what exactly she is.
    -A look at and hints of Cybertronian society.
    -Blitzwing's triple faces and personalities!
    -Corey Burton's Megatron voice! Sooo sinister.
    -The return of some G1 voices: Corey Burton, Weird Al, Sue Blu, Judd Nelson.
    -Professor Princess and Powered Sugar! So ridiculous that they were awesome!

13. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Favorite Autobot - Optimus Prime followed by Ultra Magnus, Bulkhead, Jazz and Rodimus (despite the fact he was only in one episode),
    Favorite Decepticon - Shockwave/Longarm Prime, followed by Megatron, Lugnut, Swindle, Lockdown and Slipstream
    Favorite Episode - Decepticon Air, followed by Thrill of the hunt, Megatron Rising, Lost and Found and Garbage in, Garbage out.
    Favorite Scene - Megatron: Decepticon's Transfrom and Rise up, Starscream's death montage and the last scene with Optimus and the crowd.

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated was a series I couldn't get excited about. The designs just look bad to me. In motion they aren't bad but still and characters look blarg. Add to that I don't watch much TV and I passed.

I've since seen the series and thought it was very well done. I still have some issues with it but on the whole it's a great show.

Some of my favorite stuff:
    I also liked the Decepticons being a big threat.
    I'm a fan of diversity so Slipstream gets a thumbs up.
    I love Rodimus's cameo and :(  there wasn't more.
    I enjoyed their fear of organics.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Animated was a labor of love; a beautifully crafted creation that made delightful homages to previous series while managing to be fresh and innovative. It's by far my favorite TF show, and I'll miss it dearly.

Favorite Autobot: Ratchet.
    Favorite Decepticon: Blitzwing.
    Favorite Episode: 'Thrill of the Hunt'.
    Favorite Scene: Too many to count. A few standouts are Optimus' reaction to Sari telling him where babies come from, Blitzwing and Lugnut's construction site battle with the Autobots, Megatron regaining his body and bursting out of Sumdac Tower, Optimus laughing at a body-less Sentinel, Starscream being repeatedly killed by Megatron, Omega Supreme's first appearance and subsequent beat-down of the Decepticons, the entire Blitzwing versus Bumblebee chase sequence from 'Velocity', and Team Charr's fight against Team Athenia.

17. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    Favorite Autobot - Bumblebee, followed by Blurr, Jetfire, and Jetstorm
    Favorite Decepticon - Starscream, followed by Blitzwing
    Favorite Episode - Nature Calls, followed by Where Is Thy Sting?
    Favorite Scene - Starscream's death montage

18. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated was the most refreshing thing to happen to transformers in its history.
    It kept with the essence of what it was all about and introduced geniune character to the characters, an interesting story arc, lots of nods and injokes and a toy line that was able to not only give us toys that actually looked like the characters in the show and alt modes which seem to defy physics compared to the bot mode.
    Cut short in its prime which many characters who deserved their own toys and an unrealesed 3rd season dvd Its had a noticable effect on Prime and one of the most desirable botcon sets in years.
    Controversial and loved I'm certain fans will be demanding Animated things for years to come.

19. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great idea.

Favorite Autobot - Wreck-Gar
    Favorite Decepticon- Starscream by far. Probably my favorite Screamer of all time next to G1.
    Favorite Episode- Endgame part 1 and 2
    Favorite Scene- When Megs kept killing Screamer and ordered Lugnut and Blitzwing to throw his corpse into the river. I laughed so hard.. :D 

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Like Black Oracle I can't pick favourites because I loved the whole thing!

From beginning to end, the series was a tour de force. It fused all the best elements from past series and tempered them with a sense of fun from the word go. This was not the most serious or the most dark Transformers series ever. No, this was the one that kept itself grounded and sensible, but was not afraid to have fun.

The cast of voice actors really brought the characters to life, from the calculating and creepy Megatron, to Tom Kenny's superlative take on Starscream. David Kaye's Optimus Prime and Corey Burton's Ratchet and Shockwave defined the characters brilliantly. These performances were real, they did not need funny accents to work. The actors put their all into those characters, made them real.

The show itself had a brilliant plot that brought in all the best elements of the franchise, and a great selection of characters - and it stands as a testament that those characters are all growing outwards into other things. If not for Animated, would we have Dark of the Moon Sentinel Prime? Transformers Prime Bulkhead? Reveal the Shield Lugnut? Revenge of the Fallen toyline Lockdown, and Lockdown in the comics? Even Prime Ratchet draws strongly on Animated Ratchet, moreso than any other.

Transformers Animated was a great if short lived series. It showed us that a well-written Transformers series could have drama without being dark, it showed us that a show could be funny without being over the top silly. It has paved the way for what has followed with Transformers Prime. It introduced so many great new characters to the franchise.

And it had some kickass toys, too.