Two Questions about Toys R Us.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by grayman, Feb 12, 2007.

1. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, I went to a Toys R Us yesterday right as they were closing and grabbed a Classic Ramjet. I was so excited that I didn't look at the price and when I got to the register it rang up for $12.99. Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't he cost $9.99? Did they go up in price everywhere? Did Toys R Us just raise the price? Have they always cost this much and I am going nuts? Is it because he is new?

Second, I have been to several Toys R Us stores over the past few weeks in at least two counties in my area and they have no stock on the top shelves and entire sections completely empty. They have been getting new items here and there since the holidays, but very few at a time. Are they going out of business? Is it just in my area?

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

2. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

TRU prices are higher than, say, Wal*Mart. That's one of the reasons the re-issues didn't fair so well. And TF's are slow to stock now. Nothing realling coming out until the movie hits.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I think the MSRP on Classics is higher than traditionally priced Deluxes, but yeah, it appears that only TRU is charging the higher prices. I think that I saw deluxes for the usual $9.99 at both Target and Wal-Mart. I remember there was some confusion abut the higher MSRP back when i was announced. TRU can't afford to go much lower because they have a smaller market share than Wal-mart... soemthing like that.

And I haven't head anything about TRUs going out of business. This is just usually the slower toy sale time and they hardly restock because of it. It's always been like this, though maybe not to this extent of slowness...

4. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

My TRU near me has the classics at $9.99 I think. In fact, their prices are pretty comparable to the other stores in town.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, $12.99 was the first retail price at Toyrus. I'm not sure if they changed that yet. I went to Target and got mines' for $9.99 each.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I got a bunch of Classics from TRU for Christmas and they were also $12.99. I felt kinda gypped, but they were the only place that had them in stock at the time. Also, TRU has always had a hard time competing with Wal-mart and Target. They're not going out of business, but they have been closing stores over the years.

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Same here. The TRUs around me are all priced higher then Targets and Wal-Marts and it seems like they haven't restocked the TFs in months. Chalk it up to waiting on the massive wave of movie stuff in summer. They have the space, just not the stock.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Am I having a deja vu? I swear I've seen this same topic here before.

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

They are only $10.99 here. Still more than Wal-M highart and Target, but not that high.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I paid $12.99 at TRU for Starscream. I knew I paid more but it was the only place I could find it at the time.

11. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, they started at $9.99 like everyone else and then a few weeks later, jacked the price up to $12.99.

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I got Grimlock at TRU and he was supposed to be 12.99. however the register wasn't reading the barcode adn the employee that went to look only saw the 9.99 tags for Cybertron. So I didn't argue.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I guess it all falls down to the responsiblity of each TRU branch manager / Inventory manager with the small fixes .
    Some are a little slower than others

14. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I went to the Savannah Target on the 3rd to get the Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp set and decided to head over to Toys R Us to look for Cliffjumper and Ramjet. I noticed the price on the deluxe figures as $12.99 but they did not have any. Lucky for me since I decided to go through Hinesville on the way home, wanted to find a N64 at Rhino before Gamestop takes over but they were sold out and not getting any more, and found them at Wal-Mart.

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Here in the CA Bay Area they started out at $9.99 at TRU and then not too long after that the price was jacked up to $12.99. Needless to say, I no longer buy from them. Why buy there when I can get them for $9.99 at all other stores that carry them?

My love affair with TRU has been waning slowly ever since they rearranged the vast majority of their stores into their current, lamer configuration (in the old days - all straight aisles + a clearance aisle = love) and started raising their prices sporadically. That, and the customer service has been horrendous out there. I actually boycott 2 of the stores for various reasons.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I went to TRU to get some classics for my niece and nephews for Christmas. When they rant up $12.99, I passed on them and bought them at Wal-Mart instead. Not sure why TRU is charging more, but they are.