Two New IDW Ongoing Series in Jan - MTMTE and RID

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Oct 20, 2011.

1. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh. Who cares? This is the billionth fucking soft reboot IDW has done. We got a title to 30 finally, only for them to soft reboot it YET AGAIN.

It's just that they act like this is the jumping on point that everyone was waiting for! But we did that with AHM. Then this ongoing. Not to mention the billion miniseries before that.

I know IDW isn't the only comic book company in the industry that refuses to have a title go into double digits if they can keep from it, preferring to do nothing but countless #1's, but damn, it's irritating. Hopefully the stories will at least be interesting.

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Sounds like someone needs to update their sig to reflect this opinion :p 

Totally get where you're coming from, mind. Though isn't Hasbro doing some toys under a "Robots in Disguise" subline next year, going off their NYCC slides?

3. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument Of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I have been carefully optimistic about these two books since they were announced, but initially discouraged that it was going to take killing Prime AGAIN, to get there. Luckily, this actually sounds like a broad step forward. I really feel like G1 is finally progressing past what we have seen time and again, to maybe some truly unique territory.

I will certainly be picking up both books come January, and hopefully continue to do so afterward. Finally some redemption after All Hail Megatron! Sign me up.

4. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Yeah; it is annoying, I will agree there. But conversely, this new direction does sound interesting - and it would be odd to have an ongoing interleave with two separate stories.

...except I just remembered that they're doing that with Archie: The Married Life. Which is EVEN TRICKIER because that book has two separate branching continuities with the same cast interleaving.

5. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

This sounds terrible. IDW totally lost their way with AHM and every new direction they've tried since has been even worse. I wish I could just stop caring but I own the entire IDW run up until 15 or 16 of the ongoing (can't remember at the moment) so I keep poking my head back in with news like this to see if they're finally doing something I can support. Seeing this only makes me feel even more justified in my decision to drop the book, though.

6. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I am selectively ignoring that and pretending I didn't see it. Blasphemy. And, bad for the other reasons too. How is a mom doing a google search for Robots In Disguise toys at Christmas next year going to know the difference between the figures from 10 years ago and the ones now, if they are both readily available at online retailers who cary more than current lines? Not to mention she has to wade through wiki pages and sites like these in the results. And for pages on this comic book for that matter, which also won't be connected.

Just my skewed perspective 2 cents, no one cares about that ish :) 

7. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying. I'll probably check out these books, but I'm amazed they (including Dreamwave prior to IDW) can't make a continuous ongoing series. They've done this (used the term ongoing series) several times before, only to kill it off or lead into some other title. It gets confusing after a while, especially for people who are scanning over all of the titles and trying to get a feel for what goes where. Just stick with one title for crying out loud. If they want to do spin-offs, etc., that's fine. However, like you, I'm starting to get tired of this.

8. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am excited. Roberts and Roche on one title is solid gold.

No plans for Wreckers or Dinobots bums me out.

5 variant issues for each though? Is it the 90's again?

Edit: The WFC designs on that one cover are extremely interesting... especially with what they said regarding that series.

9. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    when did Hot Rod become Wolverine?

10. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    January? I'm subscribing to RID (can you do that? I'm new to comics) with Christmas money.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, there's plenty of old stuff on TPB, but i'd say just start with these new series and see where it takes you...

yeah, i see that... but i think they're just running out of ideas, and to go with MTMTE, RID just works better...

apparently it is the 90's... and that is dumb... i will not be buying 5 of the same book to have all the images... i'll just download the cover image with all 5 books together as a wallpaper on my computer instead...

I'm pretty excited to see where these books take us... and despite doing soft reboots multiple times in the past few years, it works for now... especially after some of their prior attempts have not worked so well... i also don't really see this as a reboot at all, it's just an expansion and splitting of the story, very similar to Green Lantern leading to Green Lantern Corp or Batman and Detective comics...

12. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get why it's a big deal when a company reboots. More specifically, when IDW does it. I don't care what number the story is on just so long as the story itself continues. :) 

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In IDW's case it's because the reboot rubs its nose in the face of what came before it.
    There were about ten plot points from Furman's run that were completely ignored when All Hail Megatron came around.

Then the ongoing ignored several items from the All Hail Megatron arc.

The reboots have robbed readers of their investments in the original stories -to a certain extent.

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which were either tied up or expanded upon in Coda or the ongoing.

Such as?

Not saying your wrong or calling you a liar. But what for example..?

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The 5 variant issues is kind of ridiculous ... and I'm probably going to be ridiculous and buy them all. WTF?

16. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

There's a difference between rebooting and having several different titles of the same product. I don't mind rebooting, but IDW likes to take story arcs (Infiltration, Devastation, All Hail Megatron, etc.) and make them into series. Normal comics have story arcs within an ongoing title (continuity), which makes it a lot easier to follow. That's my gripe.

17. nobleprime

nobleprime Member

All I can say is two things; it looks to hold promise, but more importantly.....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DRAWING THEM IN F...ING MOVIE STYLES! No one likes the movie design crap, it's why I quit reading them after AHM.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Some things were yes -not to my satisfaction though.
    Other things like Ore-13, the Transformers holomatter avatars, and all the various 'pop-out gadgets' they had available to them in vehicle mode just vanished.

Maybe I spoke in haste, but several things bugged me.
    Starscream saves Megatron at the end of AHM and then in the first issue of CODA he's plotting how to kill him or at least let him die.

The Autobots completely ignore the chain of command and have a popularity contest to vote Bumblebee the new leader.

Prowl basically infiltrated Kup's mind so that he had a popular figure to support his agenda. What agenda? What did Kup actually do because of Prowl?

I never even thought that for a second, but thanks for stating it.
    I don't require people to agree with me in order to have a discussion. :) 

I should qualify my claims though by stating that I have been reading IDW in TPB form and I am a little behind.

Some of what I have mentioned may indeed have been resolved and I just haven't read that far yet.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A relaunch is not the same thing as a reboot. And relaunches are just a fact of life in modern comics. Sales numbers are never going to allow a TF comic series to reach #80 again in the current market. There just aren't enough readers to keep an ongoing running that long anymore. So every time sales start to dip now, you can expect another relaunch from a new #1. It's a cheap pop that temporarily boosts sales until the next dip. Marvel and DC do the same thing with their comics, as well.

For my part, I enjoyed the slight re-purposing in AHM... maybe because it was the first time I could get into the IDW TF comics at all... and then again for the ongoing.

20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    ......Okay so like is he Bumblebus Prime now or is he more like Tatto from Fantasy Island?