Two Firefighters Killed In Colerain House Fire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Apr 5, 2008.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/15790697/detail.html

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- Two firefighters were killed Friday morning while battling a Colerain Township house fire.

An alarm notified firefighters of the blaze at a home in the 5700 block of Squirrels Nest Court around 6:10 a.m., and authorities said the homeowner called shortly afterward.

Firefighters found heavy fire when they arrived, and two members of the first arriving Colerain Township fire crew went inside to search for occupants and discover the source of the flames
    The entry crew lost radio contact with the department command shortly after they entered the house, and authorities said firefighters issued a second alarm and called for assistance from nearby Fairfield.

Firefighters discovered a fire hose inside the home without anyone near it, and authorities said the bodies of two firefighters were discovered in the basement around 7:10 a.m.

Officials identified the firefighters as Capt. Robin Broxterman, 37, a 17-year veteran who was the first woman in department history to attain the rank of captain, and Brian Schira, 29, who joined the department in November after serving as a Delhi Township firefighter.

Broxterman is survived by two daughters, 10-year-old Sierra and 8-year-old Courtney, a fiancé who is a Green Township firefighter and her parents, and Schira is survived by his parents and two brothers.

Both of Broxterman's parents had previously been Green Township firefighters.

Department spokesman Capt. Steve Conn said that the home's floor collapsed, sending both firefighters into the basement, and they both were covered in rubble when they were discovered.

Their bodies were removed from the wreckage and taken to waiting ambulances, and Conn said the last time Colerain Township firefighters died in the line of duty was 1977.

Two residents escaped without injury before firefighters arrived, authorities said.

The cause of the fire and the structural collapse each remain under investigation.

Donations to help pay for funeral costs can be made to any Kemba Credit Union or Greater Cincinnati Firefighters Credit Union office, and also at the Colerain Township or Delhi Township fire departments.

Contributions can be sent in care of the Colerain Township Firefighters Memorial Fund to Kemba Credit Union, PO Box 14090, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45050.

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    My prayers go out to the family and friends. With these types of jobs you know the risk and the high probability that this could happen but it is always unexpected. Colerain Township fire crew just got two more angels on their side.
    Prowl

3. optimusprime42

News Credits:
    prowl the fire dept is accepting contributions

4. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    My hearts go out to their souls.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're a Time Lord? :eek: 

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    :lolol 

That's what I tell people when they ask about my question mark tattoo.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow...I knew some people from Colerain...wonder if they know the folks involved. In the meantime, I just wanna say thanks to all the firefighters, police officers, and military folk who serve our country and put their bodies in harm's way for people like me. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the two firefighters who lost their lives just doing their jobs.

8. optimusprime42

News Credits:
    went to get my BP checked they had forestpark at the one on springdale rd