Customs: Two class society? (THIS IS NOT A CRITIC!)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ThinkTank Customs, Jun 21, 2009.

1. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Hello fellow Custom-fans and Bashers :) ,

in the last weeks theres on ething which stucks out:

There has a little two clas society at radicons arisen i think.

The "normal" (not so superawseome skilled) Customizers getting sunk in the mass of awesomeness!

I mean: Sabsabby, Rumble08, Redline, Frenzy_Rumble (Hi :D ), encline, and all the other Gods of awesomeness doing such a perfect work. But we, the normal "Sub-Pro"-Customizers are getting dissapointed when nobody or only very few people write an answer to our work.

This is not against the group above!!!! All of them are the best of the Best and get what they should get! Much Honor!

But your awesome work presses down th other work and the people starts to compare and get bpred about the normal modifikcations ands paintjobs.

Now my Question:

I am alone with this experience?

When yes sorry and close/delete this thread, then i have only a big piece of paranoia *lol* :) 

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I try to involve myself as much as possible (even with the giant target on my back) I also see you all as my equals, I am not here to 1-up anyone, nor plug ebay auctions, then go back to making more customs for ebay.

I hope more that my work inspires and spawns other artists (with good intentions) that being said, I am not supportive of those with the elitist attitudes (though it may not be apparent)...I strongly feel my works is not better or the best in any way.

Been seeing a lot of "that's the best...." or "that's so much better than..." which I am really not too fond of. Stating shit like that really demeans the other customs on this board. You'll never see me state I am better, nor the "best". ever. and ever.

3. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    sorry bu i dont do critics to you or other bashers :) 

the users decides himself or herself what they say or not, and thats ok, but the "normal" bashers have no chance to get nearly much answeres and positive/useful critics to their work, thats all i want to say.

if you misunderstand my post i feel very very very (...) sorry about that!

4. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I've noticed this as well.
    Before the coming of custom sellers, everyone was famous.
    Now it's only the ones who're in it for the cash that are actually remembered for their work.
    It's clearly not intentional, and there doesn't seem to be much they can do about it, but it's definitely a shame.

5. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

Yeah , its like all those famous kitbashers are getting as much feedback as we mid-kitbasher are getting in 2-3 days...
    its not the fault of all those excellent kitbashers out there , but of the users , that dont give us a chance :/

6. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    thats the point i think!

7. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

As some know, now i've shown a lot of improvement with the ROTF repaints i've done. but yeah, people just pass by my work....

8. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

I think it just depends on the quality of work produced.

The more talented radicons do fantastic kitbashes/paint jobs and also take awesome high quality photos for their projects. This helps to present their work in the best possible way and yields a lot of praise and feedback.

On the flipside, I've seen a few other projects that have (IMO) really crappy paint jobs and really bad photos taken of said project. But I still see people who give encouraging words so that the project-manager "keeps trying." I know I personally believe in "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." But other people may differ.

In conclusion, maybe some works yield less feedback because it is just not that well done based on individual tastes and preferences?

What do you guys think?

Edit:
    Oh yeah one more thing. Sometimes people also kitbash and repaint things that have been done already so that may not be as interesting as someone who makes something original like Dinotitan or the HOS optimus prime. I know my classics thundercracker from a few months back did a decent job of attracting feedback and I will be working on thundercracker V2.0 in the next few weeks

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/225493-classics-thundercracker-feedback.html

9. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

every 1 deserves a pat on the back...and a Star................:thumbs2: 

10. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I think everyone should look over this thread as well.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/222592-cant-we-all-just-get-along.html

You will always have people over shadowing others, it's human nature.
    Fame is a funny thing. Just because you have fame, does not mean your the best at what you do.
    It means you have found a good way to market yourself.

Look at the "regulars" that are in the Radicons. I'll bet 90% of them post in most threads.
    Granted, threads slip passed us or a line just does not work for us.
    I myself can't stand the movie toys line, therefore. I will rarely comment on a TFTM or ROTF bash.

There is no "glass ceiling" in the Radicons. We are all artists, with different styles & skill sets.
    You should not try to be anyone but yourself, If you trying to be the next Jin or F_R your here for the wrong reasons.

Where was I 2yrs ago ??? Now I've placed at TFCon 2 yrs running !!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    QFT times infinity

12. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

hey there are some super impressive customizers on this board and yes they do sell customs on ebay and make money they are just using their talents. Thats ok we shouldnt poo poo them for that we should 1. be happy for their success and 2. be happy more visitors come to this board and see everyones work. We our a community (an online community) but a community non the less. And what comes at the end of that word UNITY. We should all stick together because everyone here according to the skill level you started at and have advanced to all the work is appericiated. Radicons UNITE.

13. Spyro

Spyro Banned

I agree. My new Blastcage custom is very overlooked.

14. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'll say this, I try my best to comment on a wide variety of things. From the "greats" to the new customizers. If something is really great or I like it, I'll make a point to comment on it and tell the artist what I like about it (and I'll point out anything that I don't like and give some tips on how it might be approached differently). It doesn't mean it's a bad custom or anything, I'll just give some tips to help them possibly improve.

If I don't happen to comment on something, it doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it or it doesn't deserve attention also. I agree with those that say they comment on the things they like (whether it's a certain series or character)--I'm the same way. But, I do tend to help out those that may not receive a lot of attention. No one likes to see their work pushed back and unseen. I just hope no one gets discouraged from sharing their work. I'm guilty of not commenting or replying enough (sometimes even in my own customs threads), but there are times when real-life stuff gets in the way and that takes priority. I comment as much as humanly possible, but I also have responsibilities (I've been busy helping my fiancee with her father, who has cancer, take him to his chemo appointments and help with her mom who is disabled------all this on top of working on my own customs and helping Jaf & gang run Sector70). So I'm really not able to comment as much as I really want to. I really like most everything I see here, it's just the things that I like most get the attention (usually G1 and Classics/Universe). I think everyone deserves some credit for the hard work they do, it's just that some may be in a situation like me where they can't kick back and comment on EVERYTHING. I do still take the time to comment on some things that don't seem to get much attention.

As a community I think we do a fair share of helping each other out and keeping each other going with the support we do receive. I've only been doing this for about a year and a half and I've had a lot of great support, critiques, and criticisms (as well as tips and tricks) tossed my way. I've learned a lot and I continue to learn, so if I were to give any advice on all this, it's to stick with it and you'll gain some recognition. I'm not out to be #1 as I'm very comfortable with what I do and where I am in this hobby. I'd suggest doing the same--just do what you love and do your best at it. Someone will always comment and give you some tips on it. It may not be an overwhelming support that you might be after, but everyone starts somewhere.

Even now, when I post a new custom or a WIP, I don't expect to get a lot of replies. I just want to share the work and hopefully inspire someone to do something similar if they like it. Sometimes it generates a lot of interest and other times it doesn't. It just depends on the custom and the attention to detail put into it. Also, some people don't like repaints while some do and some people prefer the heavy mods to the minor ones--but I do see how some are followed more closely due to past work--that's just part of the hobby. If someone does something great, make it a point to check out the "next big thing" from them. Just keep working hard and showcasing your work--eventually everyone does at least one great custom that is well-known, talked about, or remembered.

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    (I really need to stop writing novels). lol

I also plan to take a look at some of the works by you guys here in this thread. I'd appreciate the same if some of you haven't seen my work yet.

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I think what you all need to look at is your motivation for bashing. Do you bash to get attention? Do you post your work so that other will laud you with compliments or do you post them so that others can see what youv'e done.

Lets take a step back to a few years ago. F_R, Sabsabby, Encline and few other people weren't garnering as much attention as Jin was at the time. They didn't stop because no one was posting to their threads, they kept at it. They had a vison for their art, that's whay they kept at it. Same with me. My first custom sold for $10...it was a $30 figure, and it sold for $10. Now, I can move a figure for $150 to $500, and take coimmissions for just as much. That still isn't why I bash.

Even if NO ONE ever looked at my work, never offered a single compliment or piece of feedback, I'd still keep bashing. I bash for ME, not anyone else.

I understand the frustration, and the feeling on envy that can grow as you want other people to look at what you have created. If that is the case, then work harder to get your skill to catch up with your imagination. Learn how to take better photos. But most imporanttly, remember WHY you started bashing.

I bash because I love Transformers. I paint because I love painting. I'm a Radicon, because I love TFW. That's enough for me.

17. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now this is a thread with some substance!!!!

First of, I didn't expect to see my name in your list:)  Thanks.

Second, I think it is very common for all artists to want there work to be seen. I know I do. Let's face it, that is why we post it!!! There is definitely a bit of pride to be felt. Also, if why are humble and looking to better our work, we will never be bothered by what others say. Or, if we frankly don't care!!!

To answer your questions, I do not think you are alone.
    I think a name plays a part in it. I also think it is just what people fancy. I like Prime, so I check out Primes!!! Also, when people do something different. The same figure needs a new spin after about the third go around. I think..? MAYBE.

BUT.... I also see what your saying. NOW. Even though I HAVE NEVER thought of myself as more than just a fellow nerd sitting in my corner painting toys, it does bring a sense of responsibility when you know people admire my work. To be honest, I get embarrassed because I feel I have no right to critic anything. I ALWAYS see improvements, but that is only my taste in what I would do different. But, when I could see that something really needs to be done, such as better masking or something, I like to pm the person.

I think it is just something that will happen. We can not post on every custom. Some will get overlooked. Some will stand out.
    It is cool though that this was brought up. I will try to be a more helpful!!!!!

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    some good points and I agree to a good extent...
    however like Ax23 said, it takes a lot of hard work, determination and perseverance to create a "name" - I don't know if you mean the name is "catchy" or if the name drives auctions/popularity higher...I strongly think the artist makes his/her name's reputation through the work. I don't think "frenzyrumble" is catchy nor cool, in all honesty - can't even think of what gave me the idea to start with that name, I'd much rather be something different, perhaps I will disappear one day and come back as someone you all think is totally new to this ;)  but if that were to happen, I would also take into account that the new persona would take incredible amounts of work to make worth remembering or recognizing.

19. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No doubt no doubt. But a name is only as good as what is behind it. If an artist is known for there great work, than they have a good name!!! Does take a lot. Let's see.. how many hours do WE ALL have messing stuff up and figuring out our mistakes to make the one good job we wanted!!!

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I think the "good" hours and the "bad" hours actually might split 50/50...or possibly more time/money invested into "mistakes" and trial and error than successes. Definitely true though, is you can't and won't pick up a TF and a brush and knock out a masterpiece in your first night.