Twitter question & idea - TFW related

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 245am, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 245am

245am opener

News Credits:
    Skipping the rants about how dumb/useless/narcisitic twitter is, can anybody help me out with this. I don't know much about the service, but I got an idea that might help out 'Tankers...

First, couple of noob questions for those who use it:
    1) If you have access to an account, can you send tweets directly from your cell phone. Does it need to be a smart phone, or can you use any phone with SMS text messaging?
    2) Can anybody who is a follower of that account receive those tweets on THEIR cell phone? I've seen it on people's twitter web pages (like this Optimus Prime (iamoptimus) on Twitter) but can those tweets be pushed directly to followers cell phones? Can you send them directly to ONLY a specific follower?

Second, here's my idea. I'm not doing a lot of toy hunting these days, but during the Universe 2.0 line I was anxiously wondering all the time when my W*M/Target/TRU might have put new stuff out. I'm thinking the same will be true in 2010 with the post-movie, new Animated and maybe some Uni 3.0 stuff.

I was thinking, instead of checking the sightings threads here all the time, maybe we could use twitter for our state or local areas' sightings, too. If the answers above to #1 & #2 are yes and yes, I could imagine going into TRU, seeing something new, buying what I wanted and sending a tweet to followers of an account for MI folks saying something like "Found TFAni Arcee at TRU. Picked up 1, left 1" and having followers of the MI sightings twitter account get that message directly on their phone, so they could stop in to their local places if they were driving around or away from the computer.

I know there would be some logistics to figure out with the accounts, but what do you think? Think something like this could work? Would you be interested in having more immediate updates than the sighting threads?

I'm going to post this on hisstank.com, too, 'cause I think people there might be interested as well.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Of course, if you have access to a cell phone, why not just trade your # with other people in your sightings thread and just txt each other when you find something? That's what a lot of us did with in the Wa. thread.

3. 245am

245am opener

News Credits:
    Thanks for the confirmation- I was thinking it'd be easier to send a text/tweet to just one phone number/follower then to select a bunch of contacts in your phone That would also let people opt in/out of being on that list without having to get in touch with you or whoever was posting. Does that sound about right? You've got much more experience with this than I do...

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    No, that would work, you would just be getting a ton of txts I suppose. You'd also either have to give everyone access to the account (which could be trouble) or have one person be in charge of administrating the account, which might lead to laziness after awhile and put a lot of pressure on that one person to keep it up, you know?

It's a good idea though, I've seen ppl with lots of twitter followers do basically that - asking them if they can locate specific things etc.

Good luck.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It might be better to make accounts by city, rather than state. A state's a big place and I figure you'd get a lot of tweets you couldn't use.

Its an idea with promise, but one that would be hard to get working smoothly. Maybe a simpler idea would be for groups of fans/users from the same city to create separate twitter-sighting accounts, and then configure the friend's lists to only send other sightings accounts to their phones.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. 245am

245am opener

News Credits:
    I wonder if this would make it easier... I just found this: Group Tweet
    I don't get all the Direct message stuff exactly, but from y'all's understanding of it all, does that sound like this:

1) A bunch of people here get twitter accounts & they become members of the "MI TF Sightings" group account
    2) A member finds something and sends a DM to the group account
    3) The group account sends a tweet to all followers (that I guess could be all members by default, but also other followers who are "non posters")

thoughts?

7. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I've thought about doing the same thing, but what I ended up doing is just following people from the boards. When I'm out on the hunt I just tweet about what I find and if anyone wants anything I'll they can just paypal me the money and cover the shipping and I'll pick it up for them. I've actually worked out a few really good trades via Twitter on my phone while standing in the toy aisle.

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Very nice idea! :D 

You could always do #newyorkTFsightings or something like that.