Twins represent, Yo! - Belated Skids and Mudflap appreciation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mx-01 archon, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably a little late in the game to get into serious discussion about these guys, but I'd like to share my thoughts on them just the same.

Truthfully, in the heyday of the RotF hype machine, I didn't pay them much attention. In a movie saturated with crass humour, they were just more of the same. I enjoyed them for the laughs, then moved on. Then there was the whole overblown "racist agenda" controversy surrounding them, which I mostly steered clear of.

It was only in the last few months, with the release of some of the "extended universe" bios that really got me thinking about the two again, and suddenly, my brain finally started to put pieces together, building the two into some of my favourite additions to the movie-verse.

Yes, they're loud, obnoxious, goofy, and dumb. They bumble and fumble their ways around the screen without much purpose. Their shapes are hulking, slumping, and malformed. All around, not the picture of Cybertronian high-society. Even though they're recently joined the ranks of the NEST proper, they seem more concerned with trash-talking and posing for the humans than actually combating the Decepticons, like a couple of delinquent school kids who act tough and skip classes because it makes them look "cool".

Wait... kids? I know I'm not the first one to make that connection (usually in "defense" of their incessant ebonics-laden smack-talk), but the full depth of that implication only really struck me recently. They're immature kids through-and-through, which really is the key to understanding their characters.

They're like kids who grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons, reading comic books, and generally worshipping superheroes, imagining themselves as becoming said heroes when they grow up. And suddenly, and shockingly, reality pulls them into that exact scenario. They've suddenly been dumped into war alongside their revered heroes. What do they do? They let it get to their heads. They get dragged along on live missions for observational training, but rather than take it seriously, they only see it as a sign of how cool they are, for being hand-picked by the greatest of heroes to join in their missions. They get big heads, and completely fail to take their situation seriously, generally continuing to blunder through their lives in their naivete. And making things worse, things turn sour with the death of Optimus Prime, and along with Bumblebee, they get separated from NEST, and thus any sort of command structure, generally allowing them to continue on as they have been without reprimand.

In short, as soldiers, they're green as green can be, with no practical combat expertise whatsoever, unless you count emulation of pop-culture heroes as combat expertise (Skids: "Hey look, I'm a ninja!"). But worse is the fact that their own delusions of grandeur have been allowed to propagate for too long.

Then, beyond their wildest of imaginations, the biggest, meanest, most destructive Decepticon threat, in the form of Devastator is unceremoniously dropped into their laps. They've got humans to protect, and none of the veteran Autobots are there to bail them out. For probably the first time in their lives, they're in real danger. They're caught in Devastator's deadly wake, and Skids faces the very real possibility of losing his brother. In this moment, the two finally realize the true scope of the war. Rather than escape and save his own life, Skids steels himself, knowing that the Decepticon's rampage can't be allowed to continue, and rushes in headlong. Even after Mudflap is revealed to be alive, they don't cut and run, they continue to beat down on Devastator, unmatched as they are, with total disregard for their own lives.

It's a truly heroic and powerful moment. Unlike Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, whose heroic exploits are established and expected, these two have spent the entire two hours' movie length seemingly proving time and again their unsuitability for this war. So defying expectations, they go far and above the call of duty, fully prepared to make the heroic sacrifice.

I feel cheated that they vanished after the Devastator fight. All it would have taken is one very short aftermath scene to hit their character growth home to the audience (then again, the movie's epilogue is rife with omissions like this. Where Bumblebee and Wheelie ended up, etc.). Something like them crawling out from Devastator's wreckage, then Skids trash-talking and berating Mudflap for making him think that he had gotten killed, then giving each other a congratulatory fist-bump, with one of the veteran Autobots nodding their heads in approval. No loss of their established personalities, but with the promise of potential.

I sincerely hope that Ehran Kruger realizes this potential, and gives these unsung heroes their dues for TF3. I really think they deserve it.

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Hey, someone saw them the same way I did!

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I can agree with this but i expect them to have alot of that same goofiness in the next movie minus perhaps some of gangsta edge and plus some maturity

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I just like the Lambo Twins and the Aero- Wait. this is in the movie forum. Never mind.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You went deeper that I did, but I found them funny.
    Not racist at all.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Great post, but I didn't really take it as heroics. It seemed more like they were simply too dumb to actually realise what they were up against and the danger involved. If that scene was there to show personal growth, I think they would've made a bigger deal of it and played up that angle.

There were complaints that they embodied negative stereotypes. But there are some positives to this. You could even argue that they are a good influence for kids, because they are the two characters in the movie that no one wants to emulate.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    my parents LOVED the twins in the movie.....and yea they aren't racist

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It might have started that way, with Skids being too overcome with emotion to think straight when he charged in. But they damn well realized the danger when the fight heated up. When they were busy swinging and climbing all over Devastator, the big guy had batteries of machine guns trained on them the entire time.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I like them!

10. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

This is really good. I think that this is what Bay and co. were going for but they did a bad job conveying it.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heroic autobots?! Who would've thought!

12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I was all ready to be a fan of the Twin characters. The fact that they annoyed other fans for being so goofy looken added to the fun for me. :thumbs2: 
    Then the race card had to come into play, and that pretty much ruined all my fun.

Oh sure, I tried to argue it. But one way or another, the fact at the end of the day is they have been branded by the mainstream media as politically incorrect offensive racial stereotypes. And once that hammer has been droped, that is that.
    Arguing it only serves to make youself look like a jackass.

13. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Bah. Lol Who cares what the main stream media thinks. As long as the normal people have the right mindset about it then the main stream media can go suck the twins Popsicle.

14. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Everyone I know loved the Twins, including myself. Not racist at all. :thumb 

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I thought they were great. I didn't buy into all the "OMG RACIST" bullshit spouted by the media and the attention whores out there; I viewed them as a parody on the kind of wannabe gangster assholes that act like them in real life, and as such I thought they were hilarious.
    I also thought that despite their bickering they made an effective team, and clearly a brave one; I mean 2 smallish Autobots taking a pop at Devastator without any hesitation? Impressive indeed.
    I'm looking forward to seeig them again in the 3rd movie.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I thought they were great. I didn't buy into all the "OMG RACIST" bullshit spouted by the media and the attention whores out there; I viewed them as a parody on the kind of wannabe gangster assholes that act like them in real life, and as such I thought they were hilarious.
    I also thought that despite their bickering they made an effective team, and clearly a brave one; I mean 2 smallish Autobots taking a pop at Devastator without any hesitation? Impressive indeed.
    I'm looking forward to seeig them again in the 3rd movie.

17. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Wow dude this is epic win!

And the fucking critics didn't see this because, they're either following the crowd of bay haters or have no taste for modern action movies because they're in their 60's+. It's because they can't take a concept like this seriously, they just pass it off as a shitty movie made for kids, which it's not. If it's entertaining, its a damn good movie.

18. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I didn't hate the Twins at all. In a frankly terrible movie crammed to the gills with dull one-dimensional characters of all species, they at least felt like someone had bothered to come up with SOME kind of character concept.

Jazz from the first movie was far more of a cliche (and much less fun) but seems gets a pass simply for being Jazz...go figure.

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    the twins are two of my favorite tf characters, i find them very amusing. i have several twins stuff actually, a skids tshirt, the dx icecream truck, legends mudflap & skids, and rpms mudflap and skids. :) 

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.