Twilight's Last Gleaming

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Optimus Frimal, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Optimus Frimal

Optimus Frimal The Beast Era is coming..

This a tale inspired and partly based upon the UK exclusive alternate movie-verse comic of the same name that was written by Simon Furman. It is set in an alternate movie inspired universe after the end of the first Transformers movie.
    So other than that all I have to say is I hope you enjoy what you read and also that all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome :) 

Twilight’s Last Gleaming​

Prologue:

Mission City

A happy ending.
    Mikaela is sure that somewhere must have had one. In a different reality perhaps, one where Sam’s desperate gambit had succeeded and Megatron found himself overwhelmed by the power of the Allspark as it coursed violently through his circuits, his thirst for power not only quenched but drowned as his threat to the universe was ended forever.
    A reality where Sam and she found themselves joint saviours of their planet and one where they lived together happily ever after with their comrades, the Autobots.
    Somewhere.
    Mikaela stared out of Bumblebee’s window as the yellow Autobot drove slowly and quietly through the deserted, pitch black remains of Mission City. She heeded no attention to the city though. No, her eyes were focused on the large, gleaming, brightly lit structure off in the distance and the ominous purple faction symbol that adorned its main tower.
    “Mikaela? Are you sleeping?”
    Mikaela snapped out of her sombre reverie at the sound of her robotic companion’s question.
    “Hm? No, I’m quite awake Bumblebee. I can barely sleep outside Mission City, let alone inside it. Are you sure the Decepticon’s scanners can’t pick us up at this range?”
    “Honestly? I have no idea... But Ratchet says the jamming device works and that’s good enough for me.”
    “I was thinking about that Bumblebee. Ratchet’s a field medic... Why the hell would he know how the ‘Con’s scanners work?”
    “Look Mikaela, I don’t know how Ratchet knows what he does, but what I do know is that this tactic has worked every other time we’ve employed it and I know that it has to work for us this time too. If we don’t get to Prime then we may as well shoot ourselves and save Megatron the ammo.”
    “That’s another thing I don’t understand ‘Bee. I mean why exactly is Prime so important? You guys are supposed to be a crack team of expert soldiers and yet the moment Optimus is taken out of the equation you all fall apart at the seams. So what makes Prime so special? Is he in possession of some kind of secret Deus Ex Machina or...?
    “No. No, it’s nothing like that Mikaela. It’s not what Prime has so much as what Prime is. Its about what Prime represents and what he means to each of us. It’s a morale thing. Give us another five months and we’ll all be operating at peak efficiency again... The only problem with that is Earth might not have another five months to spare.”

Iacon-Decepticon Headquarters: Earth

“Soon Prime. Soon your precious Autobots will all lie at my feet, every single one of them dead. Even now they plot and scheme and make overtures against my rule. They think they can save you. Ha! They think that I don’t know what they’re doing! But I have optics everywhere, Prime. I know their every movement. Perhaps even before they do... Huh. You know what Prime? You were a lot more talkative when you weren’t in stasis.”
    Megatron sighed as he looked at the frozen form of his enemy from so many centuries of combat. He knew that he should be content, more than content actually. Megatron should have been ecstatic. He had everything he could possibly want; he had Prime captured and at the mercy of his every whim. He had The Allspark. He had Mission City and soon he would have his very own, new Cybertron to rule over as he saw fit. So why was he not content?
    Perhaps he missed the challenge of warfare? The thrill of the hunt as he travelled the cosmos in search of the Allspark? Yes, that was it. Megatron missed the thrill of real combat, of a real challenge to his might. He missed the satisfaction of goading an enemy and then gutting them of their vital circuits and watching the light as it slowly faded from their optics and the look of despair as they realised this would be their final experience upon this living plane.
    That would all change soon enough though. Megatron knew that the Autobots were gathering their forces. He knew their numbers had more than tripled since the battle in Mission City and he knew that more were arriving every day. It didn’t matter how many came to Earth though, no amount of Autobots could possibly defeat his forces now that they were powered by the Allspark. The Autobots would never get the chance to battle his soldiers though. No. Instead Megatron was going to take them all on himself.
    And he was going to kill every single one of them.

2. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

ummm...so transformers + twilight =....um 3?

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Ah, interesting. A take on the UK Titan comics story set in an alternate movie universe where The Autobots and their human allies did not emerge victorious from the '07 Mission City battle. So is this just meant to be deeper character POV on that story?

4. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good start. now expand on it, a bit like Petey North with his story. Keep writing!

5. Optimus Frimal

Actually the only resemblance this story has with Twilight is the use of the word Twilight in the title :p  . There shall be no bizarre crossover here, partly because I'm not interested in writing that particular crossoever but mostly because I have yet to find some spare time to read/watch Twilight. Just pure Transformers here, so no need to worry.

Partly yes, but I'd say mostly no as at the moment I'm hoping to be able to tell a different overall story to what was presented in the Titan comics. Both stories though will share some plot beats, situations and of course some characters too. I'll also be trying to give some deeper character POV as the comic wasn't able to do this due to the limited amount of pages available to it. I'll also be ensuring that Arcee continues to look the same between each installment of this as opposed to her ever changing form in the Titan comic ;) 

Thank you very much :)  I'm hoping to get at least one chapter up each week, although that schedule might change around June as I've got exams coming up at school. Did Petey North write Transformers 2.0 by the way? I've not managed to read all of that story but what I have read was awesome so to be compared to that is quite flattering :) 

6. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    So you're writing a fic based on elements of and a similar setting to the Titan comic story but not exactly meant to be the same alternate universe then? Interesting.

Nice to see another British writer around here btw!

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This is pretty good. Looking forward to reading more.

I've never got to read the UK comic this fanfic is partially based on, but it certainly sounds like a very interesting story.

8. Optimus Frimal

Yep, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do.

Ah well, as Simon Furman has shown time and time again, the best TF stories come from us Brits ;)  Which part of the country are you from?

Glad you enjoyed it :)  It was quite an interesting story although it was held back by the fact it was aimed at a "youner audience". I'd recommend checking it out though if you ever get the chance.

9. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Ha! Ha! Well i wouldn't try to be boastful about it. There are good American writers too.

I'm from West Yorkshire, midlands.

It was an interesting alternate 'what if' type story. What if Sam's gambit to shove the Allspark into Megatron's spark had not worked? It was a little exploration of that possibility.

I can actually claim that i predicted the fact that they would do an alternate universe story. I suggested it in my email to them that appeared as the star letter in a previous issue! Won an Optimus Prime voice changer helmet for that!

10. Optimus Frimal

But of course, I was simply just having a bit of a joke ;)  For example, Shane Anderson is probably my favourite ever fan writer and I absolutely his Obsidian's Lament story.
    Man, I feel a bit like an MP that's just been caught saying something racist and so has responded with "Me? Racist? But some of my best friends are [insert offended race here]" :p  But yes, obviously there are some great American writers on here too. I'm hoping to get to read some of the other fics in here within a couple of months too once my exams have finished :) 

I agree completely. It got a bit sidetracked I thought when Furman introduced Unicron but other than that it was quite a fun little alternate universe.
    *Goes and checks the letters pages* :eek:  So you did. Lucky so and so, they've not printed a single one of my two letters I've sent in so far :(  Did you get the Cullen voice changer or the Chalk one? Or am I just making up a voice actor difference in various voice changers?

11. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    I think i got a Cullen voice changer helmet. Were there actually any Chalk voice ones around in the UK?