TV's into Movies and Remakes

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, May 1, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Why? You can't beat the classics, and it'll never be as good without the original cast. Some can get by with it, while others can't. Case in point.
    Starsky and Hutch remake was great! I enjoy watching that movie. I thought Owen Wilson and Will Ferrel were great together as Starsky and Hutch. I even enjoyed the very end of the movie where the original actors of the show came on to give Hutch his new car.

Charlies Angels. Awesome 80's tv show, but god aweful movie! The three actresses chosen were great actresses, but made the movie horrible. I couldn't stand watching it and they dared make a second movie? That is one series that should've been left alone.

Then came Miami Vice. I didn't see all of it, but from what I could tell it wasn't too bad. Again, maybe could've worked if the original cast was in it.

Brady Bunch. Sorry for those who enjoyed it, but in my opinion, it was just plain stupid.

BeWitch, eh no comment.

Transformers. Love the 80's cartoon, really enjoy watching the first Michael Bay movie, but can't stand the second one. It took me several "tries" to watch it in it's entirely and I can't bring my self to watch it again.

Knight Rider. Again, I loved the 80's version. But the recent TV Show remake was just awful. I'm glad it didn't go for a second season.

Star Trek. Love em all!

A-Team, movie is still in the works isn't it?

Nightmare on Elm Street. I never liked horror movies. But Chucky slowly got me into them. PLus realizing how fake they are all their not scary anymore. So my cap on Elm Street, I've always liked Robert Englund, thought he was great on the original Elm Street movies and in the V series and made a great guest star on other shows. So, I don't think I'll be watching the new version.

Airwolf. I am a huge Airwolf nut case. I've got several RC helicopters of said chopper, and have a gorgeous 1/48 scale die-cast model of it, plus all three seasons on DVD. There is a fourth season, but it was a totally new cast, new production crew, and ripped scenes from the first set. If your an Airwolf fan, don't bother with season four. AND PLEASE, DON"T MAKE A MOVIE OUF OF IT! IT WON"T WORK!

I've got ton's more, but will take a brake and would like to hear, "read" your thoughts on the subject. What TV into Movies crossovers and movie remakes do you enjoy and which do you hate?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Some work and some dont.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I liked The Beverly Hillbillies movie, but only for Jim Varney's role as Uncle Jed. Otherwise, it was kinda "meh."

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have little hope for the A-team Movie and some classic movies should be remade either.

Case in Point : The Day The Earth Stood Still : The original is a master piece of science Fiction the remake is just horrid.

5. Tigertrack

I don't know, I thought Keanna Reves did a good job playing the alien guy.
    As for the A-Team, that's yet to be debated.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I honestly don't get why people get so bent out-of-shape over remakes. If you don't like the remake then don't watch it. Simple as that and you can still enjoy the original series/movie. Though no other genre of film is more deserving of remakes than Horror. They truly capture the times they were filmed in, and the vast majority of horror films just do not age well. So a remake every 20-30 years is more than welcomed if it revives interest in an once success franchise like Friday the 13 or A Nightmare on Elm Street.

And The A-Team just looks silly and awesome. Pretty much everything that made the original so great.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Dukes of Hazzard movie. Since I liked the original TV series, I didn't bother watching the movie.

Like Smkspy said, if you like the original then don't bother watching the remake.

8. Tigertrack

I wouldn't mind another Chucky movie. I always liked the Childs Play series, well not so much The Seed of Chucky, that one was just silly. Bride of Chucky was more hilarious than scary. I think the only scary one really was the first two.
    But yea, I wouldn't mind seeing Chucky come back. Maybe something like The Son of Chucky?

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Fair point and i agree on Horror movies except when they do a horrible job of it.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    A-fucking-men.

Somewhere, somebody out there will like the remake more. Who's to say they're not allowed to see it just to preserve someone's taste for the original? If you let a remake (or a bad sequel) ruin the original work for you, chances are you didn't like the original so much as you claim.

I kind of liked the Brady movies. I liked the fact they were a bit tongue-in-cheek about the dissonance between the 70's and the 90's

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

My problem with a lot of remakes is when they completely miss the point of the original.Neither Starsky and Hutch, nor Dukes of Hazard were slapstick comedies in their original forms. The movies, however, were just played for yuks.

Battestar Galactica went the other way, and turned a fun, somewhat campy show into a drawn out, emo fest, of a soap opera. I quit watching after a couple of years, because I not only couldn't relate to any of the characters, I wanted to slap the shit out of most of them.

At least, the new Knight Rider tried. I think if it had started out more like the last handful of episodes, it might have lasted a little longer. NBC constantly sticking other crap into the time slot didn't help. It never recovered from the first time it got preempted.

Nightmare on Elm Street looks like it's trying to get back to the original, too bad most people think of the sequels. Freddy was not funny in the first movie, but most people seem to forget that.

A-Team looks to be getting everything right. It's too early to tell for sure, but so far it looks like their keeping everything that made the show so damn entertaining.

I don't know where Wild Wild West went wrong. I think it was in having West and Gordon too antagonistic towards each other. I think the writers forgot to have the two of them realize that they work well together, before the movie ended. The overblown steampunk was fine, considering some of the stuff the original series used to pull off. I still kept hoping that there'd be a sequel featuring Loveless's short European cousin, Miquelito, looking to avenge his relative's death.

Star Trek got everything right. It took a bogged down, overloaded touring car, stripped it down to it's core, took what was left and turned it up to eleven. What was left was a fast sleek street rod, that's hella fun in the corners.

12. smkspy

And just a quick note, Ben Stiller was either Starsky and Hutch, not Will Ferrel.

But I think there isn't a remake that I don't like on some level. If the only way to get a new movie about characters that I enjoyed in the past is a remake, then so be it. I'd rather watch remakes of these properties instead of nothing at all. I'm sorry, but there is very little in pop culture that is truly sacred. And properties like the Brady Bunch, Starsky and Hutch, The A-Team, ANOES, etc, etc is most certainly not above a remake/re-imagining even if the end product does not meet expectations. It was mass produced crap....entertaining sure, but crap nonetheless.

Though I will say that the Death at a Funeral remake pissed me off on some small level. I'm not upset that it's a remake, but that it's a remake of film just three years old. But I can forgive it because the cast is awesome.

You know, that aspect made those movies for me. The idea that the family was stuck in the 70s for some unknown reason was beyond hilarious.

13. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Re-makes are nothing new. Some of the most famous films are re-makes.

The Maltese Falcon. Remade twice, once seriously (1931), and once as a comedy (Satan Met a Lady, 1936), before Bogart's version was made in 1941.

The Magnificent Seven. Remake of Seven Samurai.

The Man Who Knew Too Much. Hitchcock remade his own movie. Go figure.

An Affair to Remember. Remake of Love Affair starring Charles Boyer.

Airplane! A remake of a classic movie called Zero Hour. Same exact plot, only serious.

Young Frankenstein. A comedy remake of Son of Frankenstein starring Basil Rathbone.

Titanic. Good lord. How many times has that been remade? Several. Most notably in 1951 starring Barbara Stanwyck or A Night to Remember in 1958. Not to mention the Hallmark version which came out a year earlier than Cameron's in 1996 (and beat the pants off of Cameron's film imo).

John Carpenter's The Thing. Remake of 1951's The Thing From Another World.

And that's just a few. Now, in regards to the TV shows turned into movies, The Addams Family and Maverick were pretty decent imo. Other than that, go figure.

14. smkspy

Least we forgot the around 60 times that A Christmas Carol has been remade/re-imagined.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I also agree with smkspy.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The two nineties Brady Bunch movies were far out. They were like the flipside of the nineties Addams Family movies.

Best part was the whole rivalry between Jan and Marsha.

17. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a TV lover. I watch a lot of it. I don't mind a tv show turned into a movie if it is done right.

Addams Family - The old show is amusing and the first two movies were hilarious. They GOT the source material were fun showing the bizarre family in modern day.

Dukes of Hazard - Old show is fun. Good 20 something boys having fun and toying with the law. Original backstory was Uncle Jesse was a bootlegger (because it is not against God) The tax people were after him. The boys were making a run and got caught. To spare them jail time he gave up bootlegging for their probation. I look at the original and I see:
    Bo and Luke - Good young adults
    Uncle Jesse - Religious man trying to keep the boys in line
    Daisy - Sweet innocence
    Boss Hogg - Fat greedy guy
    Rosco P Coltraine - Essentially a 10 year old playing cops
    Enos - Sweet honest lawman in a crooked town. Follows the letter to the law.

The movie... (ugh)
    Duke boys: Horney sex starved punks with barely a brain cells between them
    Uncle Jesse: Perverted old bastard
    Daisy Duke - Bitch
    Boss Hogg - Big greedy a-hole
    Roscoe - Bad ass
    Enos - same as original

so basically the only got The Car and Enos right. Surprised they didn't make the dog a pit bull or something.

Brady Bunch - Old series was cheesy back then and the movies take that cheese and make them exactly the same, but in the 90s. Hilarious! This is one instance where the movie out shines the source material.

Beverly Hillbillies - Classic fish out of water series. Hicks become uber rich and are confused by high society. The movie gets the basics right, but fails to really shine.

Starsky and hutch - I haven't seen it in a long time. It was decent, but forgettable.

Get Smart - Another example of the makers getting it right. It took the outlandishness of the original and managed to make it believable in the modern world. Steve Carrell was a perfect Max. Alan was a good Chief. 99 was ok, but give me Barbra Feldon any day. Rrrarrrwl. plus some nice nods to the original with Fang the dog.

Knight Rider - Good original series, lousy remake series

V- Good 80s Mini series, meh original TV series. Remake - no mystery, too much CGI, but otherwise ok. Could be a lot better though.

Star Trek - I don't really count this a TV movie because it was the original casts in all but the latest one.

A-Team I predict awesomenss. I love the original and the remake looks to capture the spirit perfectly. Over the top action? Check. Van? Check. Murdoch crazy? check. BA afraid of Flying? Check. Looks liek it will be fantastic.

18. Tigertrack

The original Italian Job and Mark Walberg's version both were awesome. I liked how they stuck with the original theme, and used the same cars! Granted, Mark's Mini Cooper was the updated version, but at least it was a Mini Cooper and they had the correct colors!
    Wasn't Gone In 60 Seconds also remade? I never saw the original one, but I loved Nicolas Cages version!

I wonder if they'll make a movie of I Dream of Jeanie and who would they have play Jeanie?

19. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Yes it was. I personally liked the Cage version better, but the awesomeness that was the classic cannot be denied either.

20. Tigertrack

Simply put, you just can't beat the classics!