Tv without cable tv service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by perithimus, Apr 26, 2012.

1. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Does anyone do this by using streaming services? Do you get to watch most of what you want? What do you use?

2. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I use my 360 to stream Netflix and Hulu.

I get most of my news from Yahoo, so I don't miss that. The only drawback to doing this, at least from my perspective, is I get to see stuff later than most folks. Like, folks are watching TF Prime season 2 on th Hub - well I don't have the Hub. But as soon as it's on DVD, it'll be on Netflix, like season 1 is now. See?

And on Hulu I can catch SNL and a mess of TV shows like the day after or a day or two after they air. But not everything. There's no Hub, and no Cartoon NEtwork. But I watched all of Terra Nova and a mess of other shows on there.

Now I don't have cable TV service, but I do have Comcast in order to use the internet - I use a cable modem from them. So you DO need internet access, somewhere, in order to do this.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Netflix is a way, sort of. Or tv apps through xbox live or ps3

There's plenty of channels that broadcast through antenna still, as well, just digital instead of analog signal.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    A friend of mine's been doing this for a while now, and basically watches things through netflix, x-box, and internet piracy.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't watch very much TV, so I don't use anything like Netflix or whatever that I need to pay for, since I can't justify the expense when I watch so little. My set-up:

- Local channels - Over-the-air digital signal. I get the main local networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox), the secondary networks (PBS, CW, MyNetwork) and some other junk (music channels, home shopping, old shows, other stuff) all using a $20 set-top antenna I bought 4 years ago. Pretty good return on investment, there.
    - TF Prime - Downloaded from here the day after the episodes air, but I still buy the DVD/BR when they come out.
    - Other shows I like, but don't get the channels (Walking Dead, South Park, various others), I just wait for the DVD/BR to come out and buy them then.
    - I only use Hulu if there's a conflict with two shows on the local networks. Since Fox has their shows on an 8-day delay on Hulu, I'll watch the Fox show live and watch the other on Hulu the next day.

About the only thing I miss with this set-up is NHL hockey which, aside from the occasional game on the main NBC station, is mostly on Versus or NBCSports or whatever it's called now. But I can listen to the hockey games on the radio online, so it's not a big loss.

6. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    With G1 up on Netflix, I'm considering dropping my Cable services now...

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've gotta figure something out this summer because I am definitely dropping cable.I swear our bill from Time Warner Cable goes up every month.It's absolutely ridiculous what we pay every month.

8. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We (the wife and I) dropped cable about a year and a half ago and it was a great decision. We stream Netflix and Hulu+ and also get one disc at a time by mail through Netflix. Netflix streaming is great for older tv shows and movies, and getting the discs lets you see newer stuff too.

Hulu+ is nice, but you can get almost the same thing free with the basic Hulu. With Hulu+ you get to stream HD onto a tv, but if your computer has a HDMI cord and your tv has an HDMI slot your can play regular Hulu through your computer and watch it on the tv in a bit lower quality. Hulu has a lot of shows from NBC, ABC, and Fox, and a very select few from other networks (the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Tosh.0 all from Comedy Central), but not shows from other networks like CBS. and most cable stations.

We also have an antenna. I bought it at Walmart for about $40. It works pretty well and is pretty easy to figure out. It works better if you are close to a major city where local channels are broadcasted, but I am over an hour driving distance away from the tv station and get good reception.

9. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    The only reason we're keeping our TV and cable is because my mom likes to watch a few shows here and there. If it was my choice, I'd get rid of the TV and drop cable. Not worth my time anymore when I can find the few shows I do enjoy, on the internet. And no commercials.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Am the I only still using the UHF dial? :D 

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I think my are switched over to digitial all together last year, so chances are I wouldn't get anything other than 1-2 broken channels without my shaw box.