tv show's longevity

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by GreednGluttony, Jun 17, 2012.

1. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

some shows (simpsons , south park, family guy, spongebob, etc) have been on for a long time, and in recent years, have had a drop in quality, so i wonder, how long do you think a televison show should last?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Long enough to fill any major plot hole.

3. GreednGluttony

do you have any examples?

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I say five to seven seasons is good. It's long enough to be memorable and tell a good story, but it's not too long and reduces the risk of jumping the shark.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think it depends on the show, some of them should have ended with two seasons [Prison Break], some of them should have had some five seasons more [Fringe].

But I'd say, generally-sepaking, a show should have more or less four seasons, enough to develop make a fully developed story and make the characters rich enough.

Related to this, I also think that every show, no matter how sucky, should have a "last season", in the sense of, a season that is announced settled from the start as being the last season [like LOST had], so the writers have time to wrap everything up instead of rushing the final two episodes.

6. GreednGluttony

i know what you mean, any of you remember pushing dasies? that show didn't even get a wrap up episode, it had a last episode that was just a normal episode with "wrap up" material in the last like 2 minutes. it's a shame, i miss that show :( 

7. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

5-7 seasons is about spot on IMO. Personally I think all those shows you listed need to die immediately.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

A drop in quality is entirely subjective. These will will continue as long as people watch them and the creators wish to continue them.

Fyi, the op isn't talking about shows in general, just long running animated shows that he's apparently outgrown.

9. GreednGluttony

i think it might also be that some shows are under contract to make new episodes. i think south park is under conract for at least two more seasons.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It really depends on the show and the material.

Alcatraz lasted only one season (for all of what, 12 ish episodes?) and I really wanted more. If Family Guy or The Simpsons decides to call it quits, I won't lose any sleep because they both have had a good run. Even shows like CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Law and Order, House etc., can only last so long. Eventually things just get stale if the show overstays its welcome. I absolutely loved House, but I feel that they ended it perfectly and at a great time in the story.

Yeah, as smkspy said, the drop in quality is subjective; some view say the show's quality decreases and some say it increases.

11. GreednGluttony

i really wish they'd cancel csi already, i loved the show early on but, good things must die eventually

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It's very subjective, and how you view where the show is going.

The X-Files went on for 9 seasons - it really should have ended after 7. It just wasn't the same in Season 8...and by Season 9...you could tell it was over but for the shouting.

Supernatural is coming back for an 8th season - I'm not sure if that's good or not. I was ready to see it end after 5. And really, the past two seasons haven't been able to touch any of the first 5. I'll keep watching because I'm invested in the characters, but...it just isn't the same.

The King of Queens went on for 9 I think - a pretty good run for a sitcom. I did love having Leah Remini in my living room every Monday night, and it was generally pretty damn funny from week to week. Or maybe it wasn't and I was just hypnotized by Leah Remini....

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I have been saying this for years. The fans deserve closure and the network should respect their fans. Without them, they wouldn't have a channel. Heck, just give each show a chance with a final TV movie to wrap things up.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The networks could care less. They know the public can be distracted with the next new shiny butterfly, apart from the core fans.

15. smkspy

Contracts are a part of the business world, that doesnt equal a drop in quality. Really, it is very hard to assign a drop in quality for an animated program, especially programs built upon comedy.

16. smkspy

Even during her post-baby fat years? Talk about a living Godzilla.

17. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I'm a huge fan of CSI (regular, Vegas CSI), but even I sort of want the show to end. Wrapped up nicely of course, rather than rushed, but I wouldn't be too sad if this next season was their last. CSI: Miami only managed to hold my attention for about season 3-6. Just something about it that started to dig away at me. And with the plethora of crime-based shows out there, some of them just have to go, you know?

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

The only things I watch of CSI are the openings of CSI Miami.

"This man was killed hours before the accident"
    "SO THE ACCIDENT." *shades* "WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT AT ALL."
    *YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH*

After that goes by, I change the channel.

19. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    :lol  Yes, pretty much the best thing I can think of regarding CSI: Miami. (CSI is way better :D  )

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    HUSH :D  I gave her the benefit of the doubt, the same as Gillian Andersen got

Except Gillian pulled it off better :lol