Customs: Tutorials on using an airbrush??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by primatives, Jul 10, 2009.

1. primatives

primatives Well-Known Member

Does anyone here use airbrushes? Do you know where I can find tutorials on what sirbrush to use and what paint and compressor etc.. Thanks

2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I've found generic airbrush sites, but nothing on TF's specifically. I know encline uses an airbrush almost exclusively so maybe he can post some help.

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

was michael bay directin this?....im kiddin im kiddin .......
    air brushin is pretty simple.....just gotta get the hang of it....especially the double action brushes.......with a lil wrist n finger coordination ...u can make magic.....
    back in 92 i started out with a single action airbrush...pretty basic......
    the followin yr in airbrush class...we started usin Double action.....takes a bit more coordination ...since u use the same finger ..to press.....and pull back ..to determin how much air passes and paint .....
    i use a old paasche ....with a medium tip........
    my compressor consists of a 2.5 gallon compressor i got from homedepot yrs ago...they come with a pressure regulator....which is a must.....
    paints.....well thats all up to u....but it seems lacquers are the way to go ...but can be messy.....n u must clean ur airbrush with a thinner......u dont want it cloggin up on u....
    u can do anything with an airbrush..as long as u keep that baby CLEAN......
    its a good idea to invest in a couple of them....so u dont have to be switchin paints...with 1 airbrush..
    im sure u can find quite a few airbrushin tutorials on Youtube......all the techniques used apply to figure paintin .....the only diff is the paints u decide to use....and the clean up process

5. encline

News Credits:
    yes he was...hahaha

airbrush class? cool.

sounds like some sound advice.

6. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    So I have a question about airbrushing and it's around the right mix for paints or the best airbrush paints.

I use tamiya for plastics (acrylic) and I have heard that it doesn't need to be thinned from one camp and then another camp that says it does need to be thinned. Some say to thin it with windex, some say alcohol, some say water and some say tamiya thinner and I'm just really lost. Next if I do thin it, I don't know what the right mix should be.

I have 2 dual action airbrushes that I haven't even used because I don't want to screw them up by using paint that's too thick. Can someone help me out so I can use my toys??? PLEASE HELP

7. encline

News Credits:
    haha!! you can't screw it up. the great thing about paint is that it can be redone!! Depending on the color. yellows and reds may be a little thicker. Nobody can tell you. just play around. spray with no thinner, if you need to thin it(just be safe and buy the thinner for that type of paint until you have a little more time under your belt) then thin it little by little until it is smooth. MOST IMPORTANT!!!! LIGHT DUSTING COATS ABOUT 8-10 INCHES BACK. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN THIN PAINT PUDDLING UP ON YOUR WORK. well, actually there are many things much worse!!!

8. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    well theres nothing I can say that encline hasn't.

9. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Is it any different than using say Tamiya for plastics in the spray bottle as far as consistency and distance wise? I can spray really good with those so I'm hoping the transition to airbrush is just about getting the paint properly thinned out.