Tutorials and tipos on photography - anybody klnows were to find?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Dec 28, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Is there any good site/forums for tips on photography? I kinda want to start learning a few tips here and there.

2. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

3. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    KenRockwell.com has a lot of very useful articles from basics to advanced stuff.

Strobist is also great for off-camera stuff.

Check out some free magazines too, such as rangefinder.

Reddit's photography page can be helpful. 4chan's.... Not so much.

Also, Froknowsphoto.com is a decent site for tips and tricks.

And by far the most informative youtube channel I've seen is AdoramaTV.

Digitalrebtv is good, but it's mainly lens reviews and some more funny stuff.

Also, check outs some people on the boards are very good resources.
    atlianz, TJDuckett, Alphie, GogDog, CDNshockwave, Lance Halberd, WGoodman, hardreturn and myself are good resources for this sort of thing.

As per my sig, feel free to PM me. As long as I'm actually at home/on the site, I'm quick to respond.
    You can also download some free e-books and such.

4. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

froknowsphoto.com is worth checking out. he makes it fun to learn photography (definitely good person to watch as he teaches the basics).

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  6. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I can't argue with anything that everyone else has suggested so far, as they're awesome resources. One thing I'd suggest is to do a Google search for your camera make and model, and see if there are web sites or forums dedicated to them, as they're a great source of information. A lot of these sites will also have info on specific settings on your camera, and how to use them to get the most in different situations.

One of my absolute favorite photography sites on the web is Digital Photography Review, which not only gives some really detailed reviews and information on different cameras, but they have forums with really knowledgeable users for specific camera models. It's a great resource.

If you see a photographer you really like, here or on dA or anywhere else, drop them a line! I've done this with wildlife photography, and they've always been willing to offer advice.

Above all, as you're looking at tips and tricks, make sure you've got your camera ready, and try things out. Every time I've upgraded my gear, I've taken the cam with me just about everywhere I could for a week or two. And try to have some "familiar" places... I've done a ton of photography at the Zoo, and it's given me a level of comfort that I can play around with things while I'm there and see what works and what doesn't. Don't be afraid to take chances, because sometimes they can yield really cool results.

Hope you have fun with it!