Customs: Tutorial on how to take apart Rotf Leader Optimus?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shepard Prime, May 14, 2012.

1. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I'm finally getting the courage to take my Prime apart so that I can install some LEDs and a few other knickknacks and do-dads. But I'm afraid of unscrewing something and not being able to be able to put it back together the same way so I was looking for a tutorial. I found one last year and thought I had saved it but I can't find it/lost it.

I'm a little nervous of wrecking it because it's my first Transformer as an adult plus it was a b-day present from the missus so I'd like to not mess it up.

2. froggy124

froggy124 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will be doing the same thing so I will post some pictures of my progress as I do.
    But till then I hear from a lot of members on this board that its a lot easier to mask off areas then to take them a part. The side blue panels of the legs for instance, especially the lower half that has the spring part.

Ive taken apart the arms and they are fairly simple to remove using a screw driver. Most people who mod a ROTF LC OP usual remove the blades, paint them and reattach them so they can be detachable peices. You might want to start there as there is already a tutorial on it in the How toos threads.

My best advice is to transform him a couple of times and see where peices are potentially removable and what parts you might have to mask off.

The last thing to consider is what kind of paint scheme you are going to go with, battle damage, clean vivid colors... etc.
    Take your time and plan everything so you dont run the risk of messing things up as you said.

Im not as experienced as other members in modding and painting but Im sure if you take your time itll work out fine!

Dont forget to post your finished product!!!

3. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Thanx for the help! It's not for the painting, tho' (I'm halfway done in that dept). I wanted to install an LED just behind the ribcage (where the speaker is) as well as a Matrix of leadership, so that the light from it would shine through the ribcage.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If one of you guys wants to make a tutorial, I'll be glad to resource it.

5. froggy124

News Credits:
    Ill try and give it a go. Any specific requirements?

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    For tutorials? Nothing really restrictive.

Just to make my job much easier, write well (use good grammar, stuff that would make a spell/grammar check non-existent), attach your photos, and just take us step by step through the process.

Scroll through the tutorials already resourced, and that will give you a good idea of what's needed :)  If you have any questions, just shoot me a message.

7. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

It would be awesome if you could give us some previews. Like how to take off the gas tanks or the blue pieces that the tanks are attached to.

8. froggy124

News Credits:
    Thank you for the suggestions, Ill see what I can do. I would still like to do this but it may take some time.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'd much rather you take your time with it and do it well as to rush it up. We'll be here and we'll be waiting :) 

10. froggy124

News Credits:
    Thank you, Ill try to be as in depth and informative as possible.

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I agree. When I talked about throwing us a bone I meant something really simple like a couple of pictures with no text. Something like a teaser.

But you're the one doing it Froggy124. And you should do it the way you feel most comfortable with. So I'm fine waiting for the complete tutorial if that's the way you work.

Thanks again for helping us with this.

12. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Got him into his two halves and can nearly split him in two. I have to find a screwdriver small enough to fit between the two gas tanks to unscrew the four inner screws. Coming in at an angle risks threading the grooves so I stopped. Unscrewing the two on the right side torso would be enough to get him apart if it wasn't for them. Stay tuned.