Tutorial on Chrome paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by robvega214, Jul 7, 2009.

1. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

there's been alot of questions on what chrome paints are used.....how to prep ..what base colors and other metallic colors to use.....not to mention what clear coats ......
    so why not post a Tutorial on the Basics for applyin Chrome paints.......since it is becomin all the rage now........Lets hear from all the Big Dogs on here doin these nice shiny customs...

i did do a search and only found the Chrome paint comparison for alclad....alsa..and Spazstix
    but as far as a COmplete HOW TO.....nada.....

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am actually doing that next week. I have another chrome prime to paint up and I will be showing the different types.

So far, ALSA Mirror chrome is the best, followed by ALSA GHOST CHROME(DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, SAME PRICE ALMOST AS THE MIRROR CHROME, BUT IS JUST LIIKE ALClAD), alclad, spaz stick. Seriouslly, if you want to spen the $80.00 for alsa mirror chrome per 4oz, do it, but you can get pretty close with the others at a much much much cheaper price.

3. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

:thumbs2: 

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^agreed, I can't wait to see that tutorial you're gonna do elcline. Just 1 question about it though. Is the alsa more durable than the alclad?? It might be worth spendin that much $$ if it holds up. If it isn't, I'm just going to spend the $ and have the parts I hace truely chromed...

5. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Well the alclad has directions on the bottle itself. But it really is pretty simple. Though I suppose a tutorial wouldn't hurt.

I guess its a matter of preference.
    I like to use the Alclad II. For the longetst time I actually brushed it on, and just recently started airbrushing it, and it comes out beautiful. And that is $8 a bottle. And I am noticing more hobby shops are starting to carry it, over a year ago I had to drive 2 hours to get it, and load up on it.

Mac

6. encline

News Credits:
    Here is ALSA MIRROR CHROME
    [​IMG]

HERE IS THE ALCLAD II, ALSA GHOAST CHROME, SPAZ STICK (ON THE CHROME PARTS)
    [​IMG]

You can see the difference. But then again, these are the only real pics I have of the Alclad and it actuall looks a little better than that.

Could you please post your alclad pics?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I like the Alsa Mirror Chrome! Blinding! I hear that with (at least for Alclad) if you clear coat/Future it it kinda mattes it out a bit. Thoughts?

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I see what you're saying encline, but at the same time, these are examples different Alclad experiences....

good
    [​IMG]

also good
    [​IMG]

not good
    [​IMG]

9. encline

News Credits:
    I just sold my chrome prime on ebay and have another on order, so I just ordered 8oz of mirror chrome. I will be playing around more with all the chrome these next two weeks. The best finish would be a 2k urethane. But I will find out.

10. encline

News Credits:
    ohhh, that is a good shot on sideswipe. But there is a HUGE difference between your magnus and sideswipe? Do you think is was the black base? A little to rough on the stacks and stuff?

11. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Guys, am I correct that you base coat these with high gloss balck. And it must be enamel as well? Never really messed with Alclad and the like. When I built car models the most I did was use bare metal foil for chrome grills, window trim, etc.

12. encline

News Credits:
    The Alclad black base is lacquer. Even though it takes a while to dry, it is fantastic. I am going to try the HOK gloss black and see what happens. Also, spraying while a little tacky/not quite dry REALLY helps the durability of the chrome when the base is cured!!

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, now that alsa stuff looks absolutely awesome to me compared to f_r's alclad to me, don't get me wrong, f_r, yours looks good, but that alsa stuff looks closer to real silver chrome, to me atleast.

14. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    so how to gold chrome? do you add a layer of clear yellow to it?

15. EvaleSuperion

EvaleSuperion Banned

News Credits:
    Frenzy! Can I get the steps on how you used ALCAD on your ROTF Prime?

16. Steenblock

Steenblock Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just wondering if you would recommend using the chrome techniques you use for MP10's eyes? I really want his eyes to pop, and am trying to figure out how to chrome them up and make it look like that's how he came out of the factory. Thanks :) 

17. Bangman009

Bangman009 Aka: BIO-TET

News Credits:
    Hola

This helps? High Tech Chrome Paint - YouTube I have not tried I think its expensive but is because they sell the paint WITH tool's, like spray's & a CD, I have NOT tried, I have not BUYED but in the video I think is better even than the ALSA'S chrome effect, I someone tries it, please PM thanks! :) 

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen that, and it it's incredibly expensive too... I looked into it for getting some parts done, and it would have cost me a very good chunk of money.

19. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

so almost 3 years later, any one made a tutorial on chrome paint/vacuum metalizing yet?

20. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best one is from frenzyrumble on youtube using alclad, but nothing for vacuum metalizing. That's a pretty involved process I think, and honestly if I were going to do something like that, is rather go with electro plating, it's thinner, stronger, and doesn't take any details away from the pieces being chromed.