Minor/Repaint: TUTORIAL: how to give your prime starscream proper proportions and features

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SG hailstorm, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

CREATORS NOTE: some of the customization requires some cutting, areas circled red require cutting and areas circled blue require cutting and styrine/whatever you wish to use. that aside lets get to it!

step one: you of course require a first edition starscream figure
    [​IMG]

step two: un-tab starscream's backpack/neck from his body and cut the two tabs off where ive circled below
    [​IMG]

as you can see, you have now taken your starscream from this:
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]

it might not look like much, but it makes a world of difference in getting him into an array of poses in the upper torso area

step three: locate the dark blue hinge on starscreams back that his wings fold up and down where my finger is pointing
    [​IMG]

and cut/shave it both sides inside the wing BUT NOT TOO MUCH otherwise the wings will fold out too far.

if you cut/shaved the hinges right, test transform starscream and see how far the wings fold out, this might require test-transforming a couple times to test if you've shaved enough off
    [​IMG]

step four: cut the point off of each tip of each wing at a slight angle like so
    [​IMG]

step five: here is where the styrine or whatever you want to use comes in, make removable wing tip replacements that you can pull off and flip the opposite direction for jet mode
    [​IMG]

what i used was the center tip from a knockoff robot masters victory leo circled here
    [​IMG]

step six: cut off the small wings from under starscreams ribcage area and replace them with handcut replacements for more accuracy (this step is optional)
    [​IMG]

step seven: cut the top of starscream's thighs until they're flat and create the pointy armor that stretches up to his hips (also optional)
    [​IMG]

step eight: create the small wings that stick out of screamer's outer calves (also optional)
    [​IMG]

i hope you found this tutorial helpful
    [​IMG]
    thank you for looking!

Attached Files:

2. megapork

megapork Cheese

Did that backpack mod when I got him. Like the additional chest pieces, Might do that one my self. Wing mods are unnessesary, So are the hip mods. Other than that good job.

3. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the little details that make these figures - your mods, while small, are great steps toward improving accuracy. :thumb 

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Why would you want you make him stand straight when he's supposed to be hunched over? He already had proper proportions.

These mods are nice, but some of them seem... superfluous. Really just the wings and wing tips. It makes his jet mode more accurate but his robot mode less, since now the wings jut out sideways G1-style instead of more straight up such as in the show, and the tips look too bulky.