Customs: Tutorial for modding Legends Grindor into Blast Off

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Sorry if this is the wrong place, i'm not sure if it goes in GD or customs... Mods, please move it to wherever it needs to be.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my first tutorial, so please bear with me. Each step corresponds to the picture of the same name.

Okay, on with the Tutorial. What you'll need is a Rotf Legends Grindor, Classics Starscream (cockpit only), and some jet wings. I salvaged mine off an old model kit. Oh and a Dremel, and some Superglue. Obviously, safety first, so keep safety glasses on, gloves, etc. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

BTW, this tutorial is in chronological order as to how i did things. That's why only one wing's glued on, and why it sorta jumps at step 3. This is the order i think easiest to do it, do as you see fit.

Step 1: Okay... That’s just regular Grindor, with the rotor blades cut off, and the front of the helicopter hacked off with my trusty Dremel. We’ll start with the front section of the jet/shuttle.
    Note: Keep the front part of the Helicopter/Robot hands! We’ll need them later.
    Step 2: Glue a scrap piece of styrene sheet over the front end of the jet/shuttle. That’s so we can attach the cockpit later. This piece should be glued to both sides, and be larger than the actual Sikorsky fuselage. Let dry.
    Step 3: While that’s drying, we need to get some wings for Blast Off. I’m getting mine off an old scrap model plane, but use what you have around. Ironically, I’m going to use the vertical fins, rather than the wings. ;)  Trim the wings down to a shape you’re happy with. The side that will attach to Grindor needs to be curved just like Grindor’s vehicle mode.
    Step 4: My wings now cut to shape. Note how they are curved to match the contours of Grindor’s vehicle mode.
    Step 5: See that little red circle? That’s where I had to cut away a groove for the wings to sit. The little triangles are all that need to be cut away. Repeat on the other side.
    Step 6: Glue! Just follow what it says in the picture. I used scrap from a Rotf Legends Jetfire, for symmetry’s sake, but whatever you have around is fine.
    For those of you who can’t picture it, we are gluing the wings to Blast Off’s eventual Robot legs. The reason we don’t exceed the seam line is because that’s his foot, and if it’s exceeded, he can’t stand up properly.
    Step 7: The styrene should be glued on pretty tight now, so trim until flush with the fuselage.
    Step 8: Cut down the middle. This cut should align with where the two side of the jet/shuttle split. He can use his arms again!
    Step 9: Time for that cockpit. This one’s off a Classics Screamer, again, use what you have. For mine, I had to cut off the tabs circled.
    Step 10: Glue! But only to one side, obviously. I’ve glued it to his right hand. If you choose to glue to his left arm instead, ‘mirror’ the following steps. That is, what I do to the right arm, you do to the left. Get it?
    Step 11: Now for Bot mode. You’ll need to sand down the inside of the upper arm to swivel the left arm down to that position. See that big gap circled in red? He needs a hand!
    Step 12: Ah, remember how we said to keep the front of the helicopter you chopped of all the way back in step 1? Well, they’re his hands! We’ll just need one, so just cut off all the excess from it. You just need the fist.
    Note: It’s a good idea to hold this piece with pliers when you cut away the fist. It’s tiny, and holding it with your hands is just asking for trouble.
    Step 13: Glue! Fill in that gaping hole in his arm with a hand! Also, trim the shoulder until you can fold up him arm again. The shoulder originally went where the hand is now, which is why we’re getting rid of the shoulder. Test fit the arm until it sits flush in vehicle mode.
    Step 14: Test fit the vehicle mode. Trim to tailfin, and cut off the rotor and little horizontal fin thing. And there’s your Blast Off, ready for paint! Add combiner joints as you wish.

Any questions, send 'em my way and i'll try and help as best i can.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PC's refusing to upload pics. Will get that sorted asap.

2. Treadshot A1

Ah, for some reason i can't upload pics. Says a security token is missing?

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    What are the sizes of your photos? 450K-550K is ideal for web browsing.

Also, just try to clear out your cookies (Shift+refresh).

I hope that helps :) 

4. Treadshot A1

Hmm, must've overloaded the system then, since i cut each one to about 1mb or so. I'll resize and have them uploaded by tomorrow. Thanks.