Minor/Repaint: Turning a crap toy into something cool.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Joey_Santana, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey ya'll

Have just started this last night, making this mods for a good friend of mine.

It's an official Classics Devastator with some adaptations to receive one of those g1 devastators third party kit. (Xtransbots Destroyer)

The process requires quite simple mods and can be done by anyone in less than a half hour. The pics are lame but they speak for themselves. In case you don't understand what I have done just shout and I'll explain it better.

I really suck at tutorials...Even in my freaking language.

Still trying to figure out how to give him good feet and also how to adaptate the waist piece.

Attached Files:

2. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's frickin' sweet! Makes a somewhat funky Devy into what looks like a pretty darn good Energon Gestalt. Now if only something could be done about them legs...

Either way man... I'm guessing this'll spawn new ideas for folks wanting to update that Devy rather than buy the far more expensive 3rd party ones.

3. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah man, the legs are still a charade...I tried to keep one bulldozer for the arm, but it didn't work well because the lacck of points of articulations so I decided keep the both cranes as arms.

Now if I find a way to attach him good feet I can even leave the legs alone just as they stand.

As you said it's a good option if you don't have enough cash to buy Hercs or Giant.

4. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That looks pretty cool. My one criticism is that the head seems like it's sort of floating rather than really attached to the body.

5. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you had this impression because of the bad quality of the pics dude.
    The head is balljointed and can turn around freely;

6. ConnorT

ConnorT I have too much...

This looks really cool! Two questions though, apologies if they're blatantly obvious: Where did the forearms and the connector pieces come from?

7. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No problem pal.

This is Xtransbots Destroyer kit. the pegs and connectors come with the kit, I just cut 'em right at the small hinges were the connectors are so that they could fit inside the forearms without major complications to connect the forearms and and also allowing the individual altmodes to still transform and suffer no damages at all.

The little cut connectors were glued into de inner structure at the back of the legs of the both cranes. Really easy to do. Dunno if I'm being clear in my explanations though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That actually looks like a decent Classics Devastator!

9. ConnorT

ConnorT I have too much...

Oh okay, hadn't looked at any of the XTransbots products. Thanks!

10. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hahah at first this is why I bought that kit...sadly forgot I gave away the bots :( 
    since then price here in NL have gone insane for those ... *yuck*

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It looks to me like you can do a good job with a tutorial :) 

12. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    seconded!

13. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

This looks great Joey! Funny, I have something in the works right now with that Classics/Energon Combiner...but a little different direction (6 bots).

You have given me some ideas with using the 3rd party head/chest plate/arms. Glad to see they actually fit with this mold...Thanks!!!

Keep it up, it's already looking better than the original :) 

14. Shinbs

Shinbs Well-Known Member

It's looking way better than that original, wreidass funky toy,and more fitting for the Classics too.
    For the feet,Devastator never did have "spare parts" feet,but since doing something similiar to G1 won't be possible here,I'd suggest Bruticus like feet in purple,ala that Micromaster "Devastator",if you know what I'm saying.

15. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks man, personally I'm still expecting making something better. Let's see how it ends up;

The kit is quite OK, very solid and everything but the fingers are pretty annoying. They keep popping off everytime you open the hands.

In this case then I recommend you using the kit for a G1 KO figure bro. I just can't understand why this Energon/Classic gestalt is so pricey...Both individuals and gestalt are a complete disaster! It can't be more funky...

U guys are being very kind, thanks.

6 guys? How is that bro?Good luck Kalron, I trully hope you can make them look a lot better.

Yup Shinbs, that's the point. He'll probably have this very same oldschool partsforming style feet u mentioned. If there was a way to attach the connectors at the back of the vehicles things could end up a lot better.

Too bad there ain't no much we can do to make this combiner be really attractive.