Turn offs

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like action movies or movies with violence (among other genres) but i have found myself watching certain films and just wanting to turn it off.
    the violence is yawn inducing or worse, it is so gratuuitous that it loses its appeal to me.
    most recently, i was in this boat while watching Hobo with a Shotgun and Machete.

There was nothing about the action, violence that did anything for me.

have you ever watched a film in a genre you like and felt turned off by it?
    either it was so awful or the elements you liked were so poorly done/misused that you couldn't take it anymore?

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I usually enjoy campy creature features like Piranha 3D, but Piranha 3D was just so over done and not subtle at all. I thought it was incredibly stupid in the last twenty minutes when the piranhas attack the spring breakers. I was kinda disgusted at the part where the piranhas ate the one guy's penis (I wish I was joking about that scene). Don't pay money for a movie like this when you could watch it on the SyFy Channel.

3. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

For an odd reason I have a copy of Piranha 3D and I too couldn't bring myself to watch it. I just fast forwarded to the interesting or what was supposed to be interesting parts.

There where quite a bit of films that I was turned off by, but the recent one I had the most trouble was Sucker punch. 5 hot girls and this film is still a major turn off.

4. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I'm turned off by a lot of profanity. One thing I appreciated about the Nightmare on Elm Street remake was that they didn't toss around F-bombs just because they didn't have anything better to say...

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The only film I've ever watched that I later regretted viewing from the standpoint of its subject matter(as opposed to general quality of the film) was "A Serbian Film". Some things just can't be unseen.

6. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Usually the films with over the top violence I just treat as comedy. But I will never watch something like Human Centipede.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Repo Men.

It was all going totally awesome until that f*cking surprise-twist ending RUINED EVERYTHING.

So yeah, I hate films that are great until surprise-twist endings completely screw them up.

Looking at you M. Night Shyamallamallamaman.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Cowboys and Aliens. It had so much shit I should like. But I was just bored out of my mind.

9. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    Avatar. After the first 2 hours, i just wanted to die. Some big tree falls over, then nothing, then some big battle at the end that wasn't even that good. Bad CGI. Damn it Carmeron, what happened?

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    There are movies that I would not even start to watch, like that Serbian movie mentioned above. But I found Machete funny :)  We had a lot of laughs while watching it. But I wouldn't probably watch movies like Human Centipede. Some movies are just gross.

It just depends on the usage of violence in the movies.

11. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Yea, I'm with you on Avatar. I felt rather robbed. Oh and lets not forget The Last Airbender! Dear lord that was horrible!

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Anti-Climatic endings and pointless and weak villains.

In other words the Transformers Trilogy.

13. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I echo some of the things already mentioned by others.

-When the violence is just over the top
    -Complete overuse of Bad Language (District 9 was a bit like this, I liked the movie, but the amount of f words used in that movie was insane)

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

^This

And that was exactly what I was gonna say. I don't mind some profanity, and I pretty much expect a fair use of it whenever I watch an R-rated movie. Especially a comedy or action flick. But man, hearing the F-bomb every 5 minutes or less, like in District 9, really makes me want to stop watching.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don't mind swearing, but when characters say the f bomb every other word it just seems like lazy writing to me. It's a cliche attempt at making a movie seem gritty or mature. For this and several other reasons, I can't bring myself to watch The Departed again. It just tries way too hard and I think it's one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen.