Heavy/Scratch: Turbomaster Hyperdrive

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bogatan, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I spent rather a lot of the 12 months prior to this years Botcon working on this guy. I never finished it, besides lots of clean up and needing extra detailing and a different head theres a whole trailer to build. I stopped after showing it at Botcon as I was pretty burnt out from it. I think I might start on it again soon.

Anyway Hyperdrive for those who dont know was a design for Autobot leader in the 1992 Euro line. Basically he would have been Hyperdrives boss. It never got past the drawing stage as far as I know but did appear in Skyquakes scope (or was it Stalker). As I dont know of any colour designs I opted to adopt Powered Convoys scheme as I always found it odd that it had never been used in the main line. As you can see in the image below I went through a lot of schemes before settling on this. I do still like the Impactor one.

[​IMG]

Update 11/9/09
    Probably give this a seperate thread if I ever get on with it but for now Rescue Force.
    [​IMG]
    THe pink was accidental, not enough red dye but I like that the pink matches the right arm and the face the white of the left. THe mould I was using was a bit messed up by the time I made the pink hat so I didnt go back and make another, but the new mould which I think I finished should allow me to make a much cleaner hat. I'll probably try a more red version next time.

Attached Files:

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I was never really "wow'd" by Hyperdrive, always just thought of him as a step in the evolutionary path of both Thunderclash and ExKaiser, but not really much of a character on his own.

That said, this is a VERY impressive build! If he showed up in my Predator-scope, I'd be scared ;) 

D/L

3. Cashanova

Cashanova Sons Of Unicron PTT

Dude are you going to do the trailer?

Nice work by the way.

4. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Thanks.

What I find odd is how little design similarities Hyp and TC share, the trucks look similar, but thats it. Hyperdrive is a clear evolution of the Convoy Star Saber toys where Thunderclash pretty much reverted to the original Prime transform. Yet the two of them make a great pairing to me.

The trailor is designed and I did some experiments. I never fully decided exactly what it would do. the latest version sort of had the base combined with Thunderclashes base mode. The two of them combined into something
    like Powermaster Prime base.

It will have the usual turbomaster guns and Im trying to work on incorporating a pair of arms in to it that can combine with Rescue force to complete their combined form.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Ok THAT would be genius!

I'm getting excited just thinking about that idea!

D/L

6. damos

damos New Member

That is really well done!

7. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

whoa, what's the base fig?

8. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is WIN! you are the man sir. i like the color scheme. its very Omega Prime-ish which is fitting since it looks like you used Omegas head for Hyperdrives. i think if he were in a more outrageous G2 color scheme he may look a little better though. some bright greens and yellows and reds. something like that you know. either way i love what youve done to make hime. finish the trailer!!!!! lol

9. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Its almost entirely RID Prime. All I took off is the head, chest piece, battery pack and the legs below the knee joints. THe other major donors are Energon Prime for the legs. RID Magnus, Ani Bulkhead and legends Cyb Jetfire, Movie BB and 2 Barricades.

I do know what you mean. I still think theres a better colour scheme out there, but it was a weird thing to be attempting. Every other Transformer already has its colours and if it was my own creation I would have had a good idea of the colours from the beginning, but in this case I had no idea.

You can see from the colour chart that I did go through plenty and they are only the coherent ones. I really wanted to go green but couldnt get a look I liked, plus the turbomasters and Predators had some pretty strict rules going on. Turbomasters had ther red windows and as such the predators didnt use any standard reds and likewise Predators used green transparent and the turbomasters didnt use green at all.

Besides I think the 92 line has a slightly undeserved staus as a "neon" line. The year before there were the actionmaster elites and Thundercracker and the year after was full of neon toys but they almost all belonged to G2.

yeah I probably over thought the whole thing.:lol  If I was to do it again I'd make it brighter though.

10. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice custom cant say i rate the colours you used in your colour tests i know i personally allways imagined him in thunderclash colours as i beleive his desighn led to thunderclash

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

wicked awesome

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. Bogatan

News Credits:
    I had thought of doing something like that. Its a very nice looking scheme. My primary reason for not doing it is simply that I intended for Hyperdive to be stood alongside at least one version of thunderclash. Just as I wouldnt want Prime and Magnus in the same colours I didnt want HD and TC the same.

I'm also not convinced that thunderclash is simply what Hyperdrive eventually became. The vehicle mode similarities are obvious but in robot form they are radically different. I dont see the designer going from Hyerdrive to Thunderclash. More likely both were designed simultanously possibly knowing only one would be made which might explain why the trucks look the same. So they always existed as unique characters. Thats supported by Hyerdrives image in Skyquakes viewer it places him in the toyline as a charcter other than TC.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice job, can't even tell the original bots, looks like the concept art

15. Bogatan

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    The pink was accidental, not enough red dye but I like that the pink matches the right arm and the face the white of the left. THe mould I was using was a bit messed up by the time I made the pink hat so I didnt go back and make another, but the new mould which I think I finished should allow me to make a much cleaner hat. I'll probably try a more red version next time.

This one using two KO arms. I like the colours the pink on Gaihawk seems right for a TF of that time and the White is distinctly different from Liokaiser. I have two other versions that Im working on that involve custom arms one of which forms part of Hyperdrive. the second one might as well, but I've not really thought through that plan to far.

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

One of the coolest pieces Ive seen in a while, may man. I look forward to your next attempt at this great character. :thumb 

17. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

great job man! the color choice for this one's just right, speaks "hero" rather well. plus the truck mode is simply cool! :bay 

18. sinchicken

sinchicken Active Member

That is incredible!

19. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    That's one mighty impressive scratchbuild! A perfect example of the craft! You find the parts and Frankenstein them into the bot you want! Very cool!
    Now who's that VHS guy next to him on that design sheet?

20. Giga Leo

Giga Leo I know and you know...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Somehow I missed this, great work on the modding! I'm surprised Hyperdrive hasn't been pulled out of obscurity sooner and plunked in the main TF line, it seems like something Hasbro would do. Again, good stuff.