TT is considering a Fort Max reissue

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by It Is Him, Mar 13, 2012.

1. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

This comes from Robot Kingdom's facebook after the cybertron convention.

There's also something about MP Soundwave, but, who cares! They might reissue Fort Max!

We should all show our support for this to happen!

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

My wallet hurts at that news.

3. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    Already another thread about this topic. But yes, I would love to see Fort Max.

4. It Is Him

Oh, there is? I couldn't find it.

5. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    Well...there was but it doesn't seem to be here anymore. Weird.

6. It Is Him

Great! Now we can all talk about how awesome this news is!

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad that if anyone's (possibly) going to do a reissue/knockoff of Fort Max, that it'll be TT. This way it'll be official, and none of this having to visit 7 websites and squint at a feature detail to tell it apart from the vintage.

I still wonder at the price though, and whether or not you'll still get the knock off guys trying to make one at a smaller price point to steal business away.

8. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  9. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Already own an original complete Fort Max, but I would'nt mind another ;) 

The pricing will be insane though guys. I mean if MP Ragimus was what?.... $200./$250., then an Encore Fort Max will be $400.-$500.+ easy!!

If anyone thinks less than $400., you're in a daydream....... Wake up :gen069: 

10. It Is Him

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    yeah this bastard is gonna cost bare minimum $300 and is most definately gonna be up there in price if it happens

i hope it does happen, i need parts to put on my vintage fort max

12. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I Would love it! I was looking on eBay for fun and he keeps going up in price. I would love a reissue one!

13. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    If he gets reissued, I'm def going to buy him. Where I'm going to put him is a whole nother issue though. :( 

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    takara retail will probably be 3 bills. domestic us prices will probably be close to 4 or 450 due to shipping this fucker.

still, beats any alternative. I'm in if it comes true.

15. It Is Him

This seems like a pretty reasonable estimation. BBTS/TFsource prices are usually pretty close to Japan retail plus cost of international shipping.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Except the molds were made long ago where as any MP is newer and has more intricate parts.

300 when you consider half size reissues like fort max and lynx came in under 100.

17. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I agree with this. Takara will price this according to production costs, and not primarily according to fan demand.

1. Design costs: LOW. Design work for FM has been done years ago, of course. They might redesign some parts or recolor some parts, but those costs are NOTHING compared to designing a new Masterpiece from scratch.

2. Mold costs: LOW. They will probably reuse the Brave Maximus molds, and perhaps they need to make some new molds for the parts that were not included with BM. But those parts can be gangmolded and there are only about 12 - 15 extra molded parts needed to complete all of FM's parts.

3. Material costs: LOW. Even though oil prices are high, the relative costs of the plastic needed for a FM is low per unit (and I'm talking $5-$10 per unit low, if that!).

4. Assembly costs: LOW(!). Compared to the insane amounts of seperate small/tiny parts that need to be assembled by high skilled workers and machines to make a modern Masterpiece, the cost of assembling the parts to make a FM will be peanuts. I've never taken apart a FM mold, but I'm guessing it contains no more than 50-75 seperate pieces (not including pins / screws / rivets). I'm pretty sure that a Masterpiece will have LOTS more pieces to assemble, combined with an insane amount of screws, rivets and pins.

5. Packaging costs: LOW. The price of packaging will be higher than a Masterpiece, but it will not be more than a couple of $$$ per unit.

6. Marketing: (?). I don't know how Takara will market these, but I'd say a Masterpiece will usually take more market pushing than a remake of the famous FM. This is the only part of the production where a significant 'fan-demand' based price hike can really be pushed through.

All in all, I'd say Takara should easily be able to sell these for a price comparable to that of MP-10 (in fact, if it even happens, I'm calling the retail price now: ~$250), but certainly no more than that. Takara just can't count on only selling these to FM-hungry fans with disposable incomes, while neglecting a much larger market (kids and less wealthy fans!) who find the costs to be prohibitively high while not having the same attachment to a reissued FM. In fact, I'm guessing that if Takara's accountants calculate the necessary retail price to be higher than $250, a reissue FM will not even happen AT ALL, due to just not being cost effective.

Remember: don't let your own eagerness for this product cloud your rational judgement of the actual price something like this would cost (it's just a relatively simple but heavy hunk of plastic!). Producing a reissue FM will really not be very different from producing the Amazon Unicron, and that originally retailed for $60! (And Amazon Unicron contained more parts and electronics!)

However... I do believe that a Fortress Maximus will only be produced in relatively limited numbers, and that once it's sold out at retail (and it WILL sell out in a flash), the secondary market prices will be... less friendly, so to speak.

18. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    Im glad for people who dont have him but Im also equally glad that I have him.I couldnt afford him this year and I would end up spending $$ I dont have to get him.

19. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    Son of a bitch! I just bought one on eBay a week ago.

20. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Don't worry... A re-issue FM is currently not a certainty, but only an idea Takara are considering. You'll be the one laughing when it doesn't come to pass...