Trypticon worth way less than I thought? (Price Check)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clubninja, Sep 4, 2009.

1. clubninja

clubninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am currently attempting to work out a deal with a non-Transformers person for a Trypticon. The Trypticon is in nice shape, electronics work, and from the *outside only* shots I've seen in Dinosaur mode, he looks complete, Full-Tilt is attached to his chest. That said, the other party probably will not go counting all the little accessory parts that go with him (radars, guns, etc) to confirm. There is no box or instruction. They have requested two trade items worth about $50, plus an additional $50 in cash. At a first glance, I didn't really think that was bad, until I saw numerous completed auctions and past sales recently that had comparable Trypticons going for $50-$80 - much less than I imagined. What is actually fair? I am considering a counter offer of the $50 trade items plus $25 or $30 cash, but am just not familiar enough with Trypticon's current value status. Thanks.

2. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Unless they can confirm that he is 100% complete, I'd say that is a little on the high side. $60 -$80 at most, depending on what accessories come with him.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    complete, loose, around 190-200 is what mine went for, my MIB went for 250 earlier this year

4. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I think it's a little high for an incomplete Trypticon.

For a complete one in good condition, I would do the trade... depending on how you are basing the estimate for your 2 toys being worth $50.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Those are the most expensive parts. I wouldn't do this deal without knowing exactly what was included.

6. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

Recently, a complete one ended for around $120+?

Pretty sure it was complete, seemed to have all the radars and such.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Fosterlager is right. It's the seemingly insignificant accessories that make all the difference, because nobody paid attention to them and now almost all Trypticons are missing them. This will be especially difficult for a non-collector to grasp, but it's literally the difference between a Trypticon that's worth $50 and one that's worth $200.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would NEVER do a trade without knowing that. For example, I remember trying to find Scamper's pistol for Metroplex; before the Encore version came out, it was going for up to £20 on eBay UK on its own.
    I would definitely advise getting a list of what's needed to finish Trypticon and do some research on eBay into priced for what you will need, before you considering going any further.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yes make sure of what it has and what it doesn't have and use that to base what it is worth to you

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very true, even some of the ones on ebay that say complete don't have all the parts in the pictures

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You especially want to make sure he has the tank, Brunt. Makes up the bulk of the city, the radars plug into him.

At the various conventions I've attended, I've seen parts for the other citybots, but not so many for Trypticon. You're dealing with the rarest of the rare with those bits.

13. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    if he can't confirm that it's complete I would offer him $50 worth of trade OR the $50 cash, but without being able to confirm if it's complete or not it could cost you another $100+ to get all the parts. Full Tilt is not that hard to find but his gun is. The radar/blasters & connectors run about $10 each on ebay last time I looked so you're looking at about another $60 plus shipping just for those 6 parts. Also finding a working blaster/tower can be a pain.

If he don't want to take the time to sort out all the pieces then he must not really want your money that bad or he knows it's not complete and don't want to let you know. If you really want that Trypticon ask him to at least take a pic of everything that's included and you can kinda figure out if it's complete or not & what you'll have to spend to complete him.

To be honest, I'd take my time and lurk in the Junkion and get one off of a collector who knows what he's talking about if he won't budge on the price. You should be able to get a nice one for about what you're offering.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  14. clubninja

News Credits:
    Thanks for the input, folks. My feeling was simply that he didn't want to do the research on the pieces himself, so I've provided the tfu link for him to compare his parts to. I should get an answer out of that. If not, then I agree on skipping the deal. Hopefully more to come.

15. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Let us know how it turns out for you, and what parts it has.

16. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I paid $110 for a complete (100%) Trypticon almost 2 yrs ago. I still feel good about that purchase. For what they are asking for, make certain it at least has some/most of his parts.

17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't find my damn gun for Full-Tilt, and I know I kept that stupid thing as a kid (even up to a couple years ago when I wasn't into Transformers). Pisses me off that it is the only thing I am missing on mine. Yea, the weapons can be both expensive, and painful to locate when you misplace them.

18. clubninja

News Credits:
    And the word... he has Full-Tilt and the two ramps. Is it even worth the $50 in trade items at that point, given the parts I'd still need to find (like Brunt, never mind the little pieces)? I'm leaning towards saying thanks but no thanks.

19. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    Well, it depends how you want to display him.

50 bucks for a Tryps with a full-tilt chest in your display is not so expensive. But if you want to make a city, want to complete him, yata yata yata. Well, than it would not be 50 bucks well spent as mentioned before.

Good luck with your decision

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i dunno, if you're going to complete him, no, not worth it at all