Trying to watch the Phoenix Suns in Tucson, help please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixshot, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    This is so freaking frustrating. I live in Tucson, trying to watch the Phoenix Suns play. The local stations here play about 25% or less of the games, usually less. So I'm thinking, "Ok I'll order the premium NBA league pass channel setup so I can watch them." But guess what? Because the local stations have the rights to the Suns games, NBA League Pass will thusly black out the Phoenix Suns games so as not to encroach on local stations' rights.

The closest local station that does play most of the Suns games is, lo and behold, in Phoenix. KUTP, or my45. Wikipedia says that "KUTP can also be seen throughout Arizona on several translator stations and cable systems." I can't find who these stations are or if I'd even be able to be able to see these stations in Tucson.

I mean seriously, what the fuck? How the hell am I supposed to watch the Phoenix Suns in Tucson? I can't even watch them on the premium league pass channels. Any suggestions?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I think you're SOL. If the local stations have the rights, then the only other way you can watch the game is by being there. Anyone else showing the game could probably be sued by the local stations.

3. Sixshot

News Credits:
    It totally blows. The Suns are the only team I care about.

Totally lame that I can't watch our home team during the season because of idiocy such as this.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

So this won't really help you out, but I wanna take a moment and pimp of my favorite sites during NFL season:

www.thegamelive.com

5. Sixshot

News Credits:
    Boo on you Jux. I thought you would have an infinitely wise resolution short of moving to Phoenix. But it does have some radio links, maybe I can pick those up. Unfortunately, it is not as fun sitting there with your buddy, drinking beers, having snacks, while listening instead of watching it.

I used to hate watching all sports in any form. It was only after my old roommate would goad me into watching either U of A basketball or the Suns with good snacks and lots of beer. Now I must watch Steve Nash throw those insane passes to his fellow teammates. They lost tonight to the Timberwolves. Stupid Garnett.

6. Jux

:lol 

Yeah, sorry, it's late.

7. Jux

I would imagine your best bet would be to get a satellite carrier that will let you have the local Phoenix cable stations, therefore giving you access to PHX45.

But that's not very realistic.

It looks like Phoenix is 116 miles away. It doesn't look like KUTP broadcasts anywhere near powerful enough to reach it by air. Have you tried calling any of the different cable providers in Tucson to see if any of them offer it?

8. Sixshot

News Credits:
    Well my old roomie who I watch the games with has Comcast, and he has no dice there. And Cox is their sister company, so no go on that. Also, I live out where there are no cable lines, so satellite is the only was I can go. I have directv, and I called them 3 times today. The first 2 reps I spoke with had no idea about the blackouts, the 3rd time I called the gentleman knew about the blackouts and was able to check that there were in effect.

And yes I tried getting a weakass signal with the bunny ears on an old tv. Best I could get was audio only, very garbled. It sucks that they black out the only alternative us Tucsonans have for watching the Suns while the local stations continue to air garbage reality shows instead of airing a quality ball game that they already have the rights to. It doesn't make any sense to me and it's fucking frustrating.