Customs: Trying to Glue 2 pieces togther (Metal & Plastic)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TheLastPrime, Oct 15, 2010.

1. TheLastPrime

TheLastPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I am trying to glue the legs and hips that are Plastic (softer like hmmm revoltech plastic?) to an upper torso that is Metal (might be aluminum) .......what can I use to make this work? something that wont take forever to dry too.........oyeh and melt or distort the plastic

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    JB weld should work. I imagine any epoxy would work. If you can drill small holes into the metal part for the glue to seep in that would probably help a lot.

3. TheLastPrime

News Credits:
    will either melt or distort the plastic?

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    An epoxy may exist that will, but I've never found one.

5. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

For bonding metal, Gorilla Glue works best for me. Make sure you file the surfaces you want to bind and that will do it. Gorilla Glue doesn't frost or melt plastic either, but it has the downside that it expands a little so you have to pare off some dried glue afterward.

6. TheLastPrime

News Credits:
    O yes! and I dont want "frosting"

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    don't use gorilla glue. it expands as it dries, not intended (at all) for small detailed stuff.

crazy/super glue should work, or (if you wanna go heavier) try 2 part epoxy (I use Plastic Weld from Devcon, available at walmar/home depot)

8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Whenever I have two materials that I want to attach, and one is softer than the other, i try to so a mechanical lock, such as a tiny screw. It allows the parts to flex a little between each other without snapping. not sure if this is possible in your application, but over the long term, it's never failed me.

But like F_R was tlaking about, gorilla glue has a exothermic reaction and will heat up and expand when curing. it works, you just gotta be careful.

And the frosting your talking about comes from superglues (cyanoacrylates). I've found the cheap liquid stuff leaves more residue becasue it kicks so fast. Also, some gels leave some because they take longer to cure.

The JB weld and plasitc weld mentioned could work, but you need to remember that a "butt joint" (two flat surfaces glued together) is the weakest thing you can do when they are small surfaces that take alot of force to them. thats why i always drill a rod (or screw) into both pieces before gluing to really tie the parts together.

Also, rough up the surface with sandpaper (so the glue has somethign to grip to, nice smooth painted surfaces dont' hold that well) and clean it from any dirt or grime for the same reason.

I always do a test piece when I'm trying something new out.
    hope that helps.

Randy!

9. TheLastPrime

News Credits:
    Thank You Guys so much! it really helps alot