Trying to Get GF into TF: Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pauly T, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't get it. What does Alcoholics Anonymous have to do with Transformers?

...except that a fan's plastic crack addiction might drive a GF/wife to drink.

2. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Make sure she sees the fembots episode from G1. Puts the chicks in a positive light.

Not sure what else to say. Guys and gals either dig it or don't.

3. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, when Backscatter first started showing me Transformers, he brought over some series episodes and then the '86 movie. That did not work. All it was to me were a bunch of flying, fighting yelling screaming colors!:confused: 

So he started me me off with G1 and took his time explaining it all and introducing me to the characters, etc.:inquisiti 

Then in 2005 I accompanied him to Cybercon in NYC. We met Peter Cullen and sat in on his panel. I learned more.
    We just kept going through the series (some Beastie stuff though, not remembered) and in 2007 we attended our first BotCon. So between all that, seeing the 2007 movie, being with all the fans, it was at the Hasbro panel that I marked on a note that "Transformers were now in my heart". There you have it, my journey into the fandom.:lol 

All I started out to do was to undertand Backscatter's passion. Now we share it, albeit to our own level of immersion.:music 

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Heh. Good luck on that. I've tried to turn my girl to a tf fan but with no luck.
    She cares more about Harry Potter.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    My wife likes Bumblebee "because he's cute" (her words, not mine). And she likes that the kids at her school think she's cool because she knows the characters' names. (And she has me to thank for that.)

But getting her to share my interest otherwise? She likes discovering thrift store/yard sale TF finds for me, and buying one for me for special occasions. And she kinda liked the TF movie "because Shia LaBouf is cute and funny" (also her words, not mine).

But it pretty much ends there. She doesn't share my hobby, but she at least supports it.

That being said, the only advice I have to give is don't force your hobby on her. I know I wouldn't sit down and watch an entire season of "Beverly Hills 90210" with her (one of her all-time favorite shows)... or even two episodes back-to-back, for that matter. So I wouldn't expect her to sit down and watch G1 with me either.

And even I have to take a break from G1 after a couple episodes. For me, nostalgia's best in small doses.

So if you're trying to introduce TFs to her, I would also advise doing it in small doses. An episode now and then isn't asking too much. And even my wife will watch a little of TFA with me before she gets bored and goes to get on the computer.

But my wife also works with kids all day and babysits fairly regularly. The last thing she wants to watch when she gets home is more cartoons.

6. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care about my wife, she likes stupid things :lol 

7. Sideways

Sideways Banned

all I can say is that she'll either like it or won't like it...

8. GothicConvoy

GothicConvoy Empress of Destruction

Agree totally w/ this let her see the dramatic and emotional side,Beast Machines is also a good suggestion.G1 although the bomb if u grew up w/ it may not appeal to everyone and besides she may get into the whole Silverbolt Blackarachnia thing. The important thing though is not to pressure her. Either she'll like it or she won't.

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I agree that the character development of BW is more likely win over new fans than G1.

And happy first post.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Mine was actually whispering pretty loud when we saw the 07 movie on the premier date in Sweden.

It was the scene when the Autobots get their buts handed to them in Mission City and I hear her like" Come on were are you Optimus ...and I was what the heck ??? And then when Prime comes in and transforms the whole move salong of 700 ppl and her applaudes and whistles.

Seeing the 07 movie at the Swedish premier was the best thing during the whole 07.

11. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    My advice? Don't.

My advice would be NOT to get your GF into TFs.

Because then she's gonna know PRECISELY how much $$$ you've blown on "plastc crack" over the years, and that's a fight you don't need to have.

Same applies to TFs as a government "black op" if you ask me = The less they know, the better. ;) 

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I wouldn't "Try." Just let what happens happen and be happy with that. My better half digs Transformers now, before she was just a casual fan. She just saw how much I was a fan and it's something we can talk about and share. She doesn't collect or anything serious like that, but she understands. That's what I think part of a relationship is all about, sharing interests.

Besides, if you try to get her to like TF's and you both start amassing collections...what happens if you go to Toys R Us and see ONE Classics that you BOTH want...? ^_~

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Why would you fight over money spent in the past? I was collecting Transformers looooooong before I met my wife. She knows full well that all I spent my disposable income on before we met was collectibles.

Post-marriage purchases... now, that's a different story. I try to sell/trade as often as possible to continue to support my hobby since we're on a tight budget, so it's new additions that I didn't trade for that I have to keep on the DL.

14. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Slash.

15. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I have actively tried to turn my GF, but we went to see the 2007 movie and she loved it, then I bought her a couple of movie bumblebees for her, then when I showed her animated, with their designs heartful stories and cute characters she found a hsow she could watch.

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    DUDE! Don't type that out loud!

...THEY may be listening...

17. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pft simple starscream perferabley animated y... i dont know but my gf loves him i have to friggin hide him also try seaspray(dont ask) arcee, and odley enough springer

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    My g/f likes Starscream too, girls always seem to dig him. She likes planes and jets in general.

19. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

totally agree! the less they know, the better!

20. GothicConvoy

GothicConvoy Empress of Destruction

Thanx:drunk