Trying to Get GF into TF: Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pauly T, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, besides "Don't bother"? :wink: 

A while back I suggested to my gf that we watch TFTM86 together, and she was really into the idea. Afterwards her response was, "You know, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be." Not a ringing endorsement, I know, but still she seemed slightly intrigued and really enjoys my TF enthusiasm and wants to share more of it with me. The problem is I don't really know where to start with her. I'd really like for her to enjoy a TF series on its own rather than solely vicariously feeding of my excitement. She is already a woman of rather high nerdy standing herself. She's really into:

Harry Potter
    Lord of The Rings
    Hello Kitty
    Spongebob Squarepants
    The Pixar movies

I've pretty much narrowed the choices down to G1, BW, and TFA since those are the TF series I like myself, and my gf's distaste for anime and Michael Bay pretty much rules out the rest.

I think the Spongebob VA connection with TFA will really help.

That said, I think BW's CGI animals will also be appealing.

G1 she's already familiar with thanks to the movie, but I don't think the series will live up to that for her.

So are there any other TF fans out there who have tried to convert their significant others with any sage words for me?

Or any female fans with insight to what about TFs appeals to them that can help?

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While my GF is no collector, she really enjoyed G1 and was amused by its quirkiness when I had her watch them with me. Thankfully G1 has some really amusing characters and that brought her into the stories, and she could laugh at all the silly wonders contained in a crazy '80's cartoon. So, she pretty much enjoys most TF media now. I recommend G1 as long as your GF understand the cheesiness that comes along with mid '80's cartoons.

3. Pauly T

News Credits:
    Liege Prime:

So how did you do it, start at the beginning or just pick out some random episodes you thought she would like?

4. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm currently introducing my wife to G1 and so far she's loving it. I started her at the beginning of the series so she would see the series evolve.
    Before Transformers Animated, there is no way that I could have gotten my wife to watch G1. But the cutesie stuff like Sari and Bulkheads characterization cause her to give transformers a chance and now she's becoming a fan in her own right.

5. Pauly T

News Credits:
    Necrophon:

TFA has really reignited my own interest in TFs. I think the show's attitude could also be infectious to a newbie. Plus, my gf really loves Patrick from Spongebob, so I think she'd totally fall for Bulkhead. I mean, I'm a big klutz, and she seems to like me... :) 

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually like you I showed her the animated movie first. I probably shouldn't have, but as far as the episodes go, I started with the first episode and went in order. At least, whatever order Rhino has them in on their DVDs.

While I think TFA is great and entertaining in general, I think it might make G1 look too outdated.

7. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BW is a good idea. Its very interesting

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Atrotrain, RID Railspike, Rapid Run and Midnight Express just to name a few.

But being serious, Animated would seem like a good bet if you are trying for the whole cuteness appeal. And Beast Wars is win if you are looking for a story to pull her into, can't go wrong with that.

9. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beat her till she give in.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This.

I took mine to AA this year, it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped. She walked out halfway through declaring she'd had enough Transformers for the weekend :lol 

11. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

My fiance is really into Harry Potter, Hello Kitty, and LOTR as well. I didn't have as hard a time introducing her to Transformers as I thought I would, though.

I primarily concentrated mostly on the female characters (Arcee is her girl.. plus she's usually pink.. go fig). Robot Heros and Animated helped for the "cute factor" plus I was able to kind of point out the differences between the classic characters and their more contemporary counterparts sence it sparked an intrest for her there.

I think just the fact that she is a nerdy fan-girl herself is a bridge for her into my comicbook/ Anime/ Sci-Fi/ robot inhabited world and vise versa. Hell, I didn't know who Dear Daniel was before I met Wendy.... I thought he was just Hello Kitty dressed up like a dude.

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    beast wars is a PILE of fun to watch. it's epic and hilarious, and has some really complex plot stuff. also the toys are fantastic.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I'd say start with Animated, then go G1 then Beast Wars.

No, I'm not knocking BW...its just that she might enjoy it more if she understands the G1 references the first time she watches it. Plus, the cheesiness of G1 is cuter! :lol 

--Moony

14. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    While my own way is........ simply give up. You guys are lucky to have gf/wives that understands TFs. >__>

15. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Get her drunk. After that, the rest is history.

16. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I feel your pain bro :cool: 

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yeah and playing her DS with Starscream casing ;) 

My gf likes the Bay movie and thinks its great but to get her ino the cartoon is probably asking a bit much. but I will make her see the 86 movie someday.

18. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

If you want her to like all aspects of TF, then have her watch G1, with the promise that Beast Wars and Animated are far superior shows. (ya know, for those cringe inducing moments that G1 was notorious for throughout it's entire run...)

If you get to the good stuff first, then show her the crap, she'll never make it through G1 without wanting to go emo. (j/k)

And my other advice is, just because she likes one or two things, doesn't mean she'll like the rest of it. I know you wanted to hear anything besides "Don't bother" but it's true. While she may be "nerdy" as you put it, sometimes what works for one, doesn't work for another.

Give her small doses of it, if she responds positively, go for more as she asks for it (because if she likes the first tidbits, she'll want more.) if after trying it, she still doesn't like it, don't force it on her. Just come to terms with the fact that you'll like something she doesn't and vice versa.

Liking our hobby is not a prerequisite for the people who are romantically involved with us, nor should it be.

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'd definitely show her BW, anyone who likes a good story or good cast of characters would appreciate it.

Also, the cuteness of Animated or RiD may win her over.

I'm currently trying to get my girlfriend into Star Trek, and she's getting me into Dr Who. She knows the TF 07 movie, but I haven't subjected her to any of the other stuff. Small doses. She seems to like the toys.

20. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    both a British person says it then agrees. Think of what view you're giving them of our countries

Shame on you *tuts*