Trying my hand at toy photography. need help

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Valkysas, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My dad just got a Kodak Easyshare C340, and the performance from it has been kind of random so far. some images come out nice and crisp, some come out a blurry mess.

for example, a random shot of alternator boxes came out really good: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Valkysas/alternators.jpg

Shot of Gundam GP02A came out pretty good:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Valkysas/gp02a.jpg

Kampfer came out (in my opinion) very good as well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Valkysas/kampfer.jpg

Cluster Gundam, blurry mess.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Valkysas/cluster1.jpg

Wing Zero, again. blurry mess.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Valkysas/wingzero1.jpg

These pictures are all cropped and resized at the same percentage (4.2 megapixel setting, (5mp max), 25% original size). The camera was the same distance away from each model too. the only thing changed was what I was taking a picture of.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have this camera, and can offer some assistance? I'm not content with taking blurry, messy photos. a lot of you are extremely skilled with your digital cameras, so I figured you guys are the ones to ask.

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Was the flash on? Do you have a tripod? Is the auto focus turned on? many factors are involved, make sure you have a steady hand, and perhaps starting with the auto setting and play with the manual settings as you go

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    flash was on, dont have a tripod, but I have a steady hand. auto focus was turned on. I guess I'm going to just play with the manual settings,and hope I dont screw anything up.

4. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I'd continue to play with it while tracking your settings a little bit. Most of the digi-cams with auto and manual functionality work a little differetly.

I like to add more lighting and work without a flash. I had my camera for over a year before i woke up and learned how to use it. I usually shoot 35mm, and have been slow in adapting to the digital world.

5. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Was the Macro setting turned on...? I've found that definitely helps.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Macro is a huge help, especially for capturing details, but camera movement must be kept to zero movement for best results or you'll end up with motion blur. Or you can put your settings on movement or sports (many vary) and you'll be ready to take pics while moving, but they won't be as sharp as the macro. If you don't have a tripod, just take a few snaps for each pic, and just keep your favorite, or the clearest.
    Or you can always just place the cam on something with your target in view and hit the timer and step back as it takes a still shot.

Would be a good idea to study the huge instruction booklet that comes with since it provides all the basics for it, then your style can take it from there.
    It's a nice cam, congrats and hope you have alot of fun with it.

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Defiantely.

My personal experience, has been that Macro is a lot more effecitive that Digital Macro where the two options are available.

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    good advice...
    instructions? what are those? :lol 

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    as far as I can tell from the instructions, there is no macro setting. there's no mention of macro in the glossary at all. its possible that I'm still managing to overlook it, but I scanned through pretty much every page looking for such a thing last night.

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know this is not much help, but I suggest you turn every knob and press every botton on your camera and see what happens.
    My camera is a 3.2Megapixels (whatever it means) and one out of 20 or so turns out nice :) 
    Took me a while to realise that I don't have to worry about wasting films while using a digital camera :lol 

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I googled it, and according to this it does have Macro.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Kodak_EasyShare_C340/4507-6501_7-31302761.html

Is it possible that Macro setting is simply set to 'Always on'???

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hm, thanks. I'll keep looking in the manual and camera menus for it then!

13. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

I've checked the usual review places, (dpreview.com would be a good one for reading your camera's specifications.) but I couldn't find any information on a manual setting. Does it have manual? If so; try ajusting the shutter speed and/or apeture. You might not have obvious apeture or shutter priority modes so this adjustment might requre browsing through the camera's menu system. You'll also see your flash's guide numbers on most review sites, so try and take that into consideration when you're composing your picture.

This, coupled with the possibility of the shutter being accidentally released closer to the subject than when focus was pulled might have a bearing on motion blurr and/or over-exposure.

If the cameras ISO can be manually set, try to keep it as low as possible (I believe 80 is the minimum on the Kodak C340) unless you absoltely need more light in the frame. This will help improve image noise.

Try messing around with those 3 features and exposure compensation. Again though, check dpreview or any other recommended review site to see your camera's specifications.

Hope this helps!

Ras

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    There should be a dial on your camera where there should be picture settings. On this dial there should be several images, one should be a flower. This will be your macro. Most cameras that I have seen does have the flower, not sure if this one will have it or not.

If you don't have a tripod use books. Lay your camera on it and then take pics. The best way I found out, is to use the timing setting. You will have to read your instructions on how to set the timer.

And since it's a digital, just experiment. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. If you don't like how the pics turn out, you can just delete them and move on.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the help! I took all your suggestions, and I finally figured out how to get some good pictures out of this.

I'm amazed with the detail I can get with this just by making a few settings adjustments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

much better now! now after I get a tripod, and a white sheet, and a good lamp, you'll start seeing me contribute to the "cool stuff" topic.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking great there! See you in "Cool Stuff" soon :D 

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah those are looking much better. You're doing better than I was with my first.
    So many features Ive never heard of , it took a few weeks of experimenting around.
    Your's has a macro focus range of 13 -70cm for macro so it may do it automatically when you get close enough to the target.
    By looking at that Prime pic, looks like it's working.
    Can always practice taking Minicon Headshots.
    You'll know it's working if you can get a big clear pic of their face alone.

You can buy tripods for pretty cheap at Target, Walmart or Meijer etc . Can get a good one for 15-25. Yours is standard (1/4 inch) so just about any of them should be compatible
    They all work fine. Even though mine isnt bolted to the floor so I still use the timer to keep it from moving when I press the button.

Your camera is a nice one , it can take 5mp pics and most people go with 3.2. Which means you can take pics about twice as big , and clearer with minimum jaggies.
    Ever blow up a pic taken by a 3mp cam, it looks like a lego creation up close. Zoom in on a 5mp pic and the outlines will be alot smoother. Really all it means is you'll have 5.36 million pixels in your pic compared to 3.2 million.
    Would almost be like going from N64 graphics to Gamecube graphics.

Some fun things you can do with it that's pretty easy is try taking some pics in sepia mode. Especially stuff like old biulding structures. It's the same effect people use for the old western pics they take at fairs. It's pretty classy looking.

Play with the video, that thing is like a mini camcorder.
    With a good stick you can store up to 80 minutes of video on it. or make a bunch of 30 sec clips.
    Not sure if you can do stop motion , but if so it's a blast.
    Requires alot of work to make them though but it's rewarding.

If you want to get more pics stored on your stick , then you can put your camera in VGA mode, all your pics will be around 640 x 480 pixels. Which is about the same size as polaroids. Also a good size for threads
    Just a little larger than this pic
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Toy%20Hauls/LoCmncnwv3haul0406.jpg

If you;re going for super clear gallery style pics, put it on 5.0 or 4.4 ( I think that's what your settings are)
    You wont be able to squeeze as many pics out though.
    But good thing it's digital, so all you have to do is dump em on your pc so you can erase your stick and do more.

You can also adust your flash range up to 11 feet to get a better flash radius for your shots.

They packed alot of power and great functions in this thing. Hard to believe since it has such a good price.

Hope too see more in the 'Cool Stuff ' thread.

If your looking for something for a white background, Walmart has those oldschool window shades that have a nice reflective surface, They also wide for huge figs and it's easy to roll them up when not needed.

I bought a photography guide for dummies from the bookstore and it was a major help. Only halfway through it though :lol 

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking really good. Can't wait to see more from ya! :D