trying my hand at HDR photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rapid_fire, Aug 4, 2009.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

so I bought a new (er) digital camera, I got it used cuz I don't have a lot of money, but its a canon powershot S3IS, I got it for 140 which I think is a pretty good price. Anyways, after a few weeks of doing some photography, I decided to try my hand at some HDR photography, using the cameras build in triple exposure setting, which basically, just takes 3 pictures back to back at 3 different exposures, then you load em up into a program to make an HDR image combinign the 3 images.

Anyways, I messed around with a few different programs and couldn't really understand half of them, untill i found this one called Dynamic-Photo HDR. Its really great, because if you're dumb like me, it basically does everything for you! :p  It has tons of pre-sets and couldn't be any more easier to use.

So I started with a picture of my house, this is my first attempt at an HDR photograph, and it was windy too so the tree's aren't really lined up properly lol but oh well.

first image is taken with my best settings on the camera, and unedited, and the second image the HDR image I took using 3 different exposed images. I also ran the HDR iamge through photoshop, cuz the camera is only 6 megapixels, and I digitally sharpened the pic a bit, you can kinda tell :p  it looks a bit clearer, but almost too sharp now, but oh well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyways, I think this is pretty fun, anyone else into photography messed around with HDR imaging? I think you can make some really amazing pictures, especialyl if you had like a nice digital SLR camera.. my pics are kinda grainy and not the best looking, but im poor.. so

im gonna haed out in a bit down to the river and try some more, but its pretty windy out, so I dunno how well they will turn out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Sure looks pretty good! Definitely better in terms of vibrancy.

3. rapid_fire

here's another HDR photo I finished

[​IMG]

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Very cool, d00d.
    HDR (High Dynamic Range) images are used in 3D art to light images lit using radiosity, so I have quite a collection myself. I don't take them, just use them. It's interesting to see how they're made using a camera.

5. rapid_fire

sweet draven :) 

yeah, they are pretty awesome to work with, check out this one I took of a lightbulb. first pic normal, second pic HDR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also been looking at photos people have been using 5, or even more different photos at different exposures, and making some really insane photos. Im only using 3