Try to sell my classics collection as a lot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lion, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I'm struggling with a decision. I have about a 25/30 bot classics collection and debate selling as a lot. I know if I do this, I'll take a bit of a hit on the price, but parting out, I'll be stuck with some left overs. Its a pretty decent collection.....
    Hen Astrotrain, Megatron, All seekers (KO Skywarp, no acid storm), Octane, 2 diff Cyclonus', Scourge, ratbat, Ravage, Prime, Sideswipe, thunderwing, Sunstreaker, igear upgraded Kup, Mirage, Wheeljack, Warpath, Custom Cliffjumper (IMO better paint than actual CJ), Bee (white and black), Tracks, Prowl, silverstreak, Hot Rod (BIS), Hound, Jetfire, Grapple, Wreckgar, Perceptor, Ratchet, Ironhide, G2 Prime, MOMC Galvatron, StormCloud, ....anyway, you get the picture.

So, try to sell here, ebay???? I'm trying to get the igear seekers, so any advice would be great...

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Piece it out, you'll get more...

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Chewbacca's chiropractor

News Credits:
    Sell one or two of them that sell for the most, individually, then sell the others as one or more lots.

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    put an itemized list in the junkion section and you will be amazed how quicly they are gone and for much more than you will get as a lot on ebay

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Sell them here.

I want the henkei Astrotrain. :D 

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

eBay as a lot(s).

Sometimes, I think selling on forums can be a waste of time. The main issue is that you're going to run into people that want to talk you down on the price, so trying to make some semblance of a profit will be difficult. Also, people will frequently ask you to break up the lot, buying up the more popular figures and then leaving you with others that'll just sit for months. I've been on both sides of the fence.

With a lot(s), you can always force the buyer's hand.

7. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't know about that. Whenever I sell something on Ebay, I get people trying to talk down the price too. Nothing wrong with that - it's to be expected, after all.

But with Ebay, you've also got to pay the fees, which suck.

Don't bother with the lot, or Ebay. All you have to do here is make a list - you don't even need pics of everything, let alone a description for each and every item.

I still need a Sideswipe, btw, so yes, I'm biased! :) 

But you will get more money selling individually and it'd be easier to do so here or on other forums.

8. Satomiblood

If you do it right, eBay could be the better method.

Break up the entire lot into pools and place one of the most popular figures into each one while filling them out with secondary figures, or create themes like "Autobot Cars" or "Season 3 Decepticons". If your lots are attractive enough, you're likely going to encounter some bidding wars.

9. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

Yeah on eBay you can have people fighting over them. On here there's lots of lowballers and no protection whatsoever from someone trying to rip you off (rare but it happens). Whatever you do, dont sell them as a lot unless you just want them gone immidately because you will take a very big hit on the price.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A majority of those will sell really quick individually here on the boards. Hell, I'd be interested in a few. It'd be much, much easier to throw them up on Ebay as a lot, but your profit will suffer.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd agree with you if classics weren't the hot hand at the moment. Parting out and selling individually at moderate prices will move the entire lot quickly and with a good profit margin.

Your method would probably work a bit better outside of classics, as it's more a collector line and most people interested have some odds and ends already and are looking to fill gaps.

12. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with the partial lot. Some of those are going to get a lot more than others. Research a bit, check ebay's ending prices and shmax.com.

Keep in mind ebay takes 3% (I think) and paypal takes 3%...and shipping/handling is kind of a pain if you do it one at a time, so try to get your auctions to end around the same time for just one trip to the post office.

Also create a sale thread here for the hell of it. Be clear with your terms. Set a price, no haggling, payment, etc. Ignore those who ignore your terms.

Good luck...!

13. Satomiblood

I think buying a lot of Classics figures, keeping the figure(s) you want, and flipping what you don't want is actually more beneficial because of the Classic line's overall popularity and appeal. You could potentially make all of your money back - and more - that way. I can't say you'd have the same luck with the recent movie lines.

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    On ebay, you have to get 15% more than you would on the boards just to cover fees.

My suggestion:
    Post the entire list on the boards with prices, taking into account that this isn't ebay and therefore nobody will pay 15% extra. Let things go for a week or so, bumping regularly, and then ebay the remaining lot to get rid of it.

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When I am deciding where to sell something (ebay, here, or crave) I do a bit of research to see if the items are decent sellers, hot sellers, or likely to sit. If they are are decent sellers I'll part the lot out here into smaller lots or individuals. I will also list them for sale on crave. If a lot is likely to sit here then I will list on ebay or crave as a full lot in hopes that someone may want a bot or two and willing to take the whole lot. If its a hot seller (like some classics) ebay is the way to go as smaller lots or individual. I keep in mind that anything sold on ebay will lose approximately 15% in fees between ebay and paypal.

16. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Give it a week or two here and then sell whatever is left over in a lot or two over on the bay.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is the best suggestion yet, you're going to get the high demand figures sold by then,